Cruise Elegant vs. Cruise Casual: How do you feel about this?

winddawn

How do you feel about dining room dress requirements for cruise elegant nights?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dining room dress requirements for cruise elegant nights?

• Keep cruise elegant night dress requirements as is.
    • Every night should be cruise casual in the dining room.

I thought I was answering your question as to what I thought what would constitute a formal experience, not opening up for cross-examination.

I was just pointing out that some of the things you want have been available, at least in my experience. I am sorry if you don't like the give and take of the forum. Oh, and I did forget to mention that if one wants what you want dinner would be a two to two and a half hour affair, which would probably cause most people to jump overboard since they complain about an hour being too long;).

The Elegant Nights I've experienced on Carnival over the past 8 years have not been very different from their regular nights with the exception of one or two menu items. It's been a lot like eating at Applebee's (No insult here - I like Applebee's but I wouldn't dress formally for it). The more formal land restaurants I've been at have had a more subdued atmosphere, often with soft live music, an unrushed wait staff and a longer meal time (not to mention a higher cost!) among other things.

However, that said, if Carnival is calling for a dress code it should be enforced (which would help with the atmosphere too).

I 100% agree on enforcement. With the advent of American Table the feel in the dining rooms on elegant night is different since they do add tablecloths and the wait staff is dressed up. As I just mentioned one of the things you get with a more formal meal is a longer meal time. I don't think that most people want that.

If you wish to eat...go to the buffet.

If you wish to eat better...go to the MDR.

If you wish to dine...go to the Steakhouse.

Those that think the MDR experience is too long on cruise elegant night always have the buffet option

I'm good with the MDR. Not interested in buffet for dinner.

Here is my humble 2 cents, I feel sometimes we forget that for some a cruise is something that people dream about. Even though in most cases it is cheaper than a land vacation. To these cruisers it about what they have seen on tv or read about and for them getting dressed up and looking top notch only happens at weddings or other such events. Having the Elegant night is something they really look forward to. I am always amazed when I see a husband and wife or family getting a photo taken on Elegant night and seeing the wife or mother with such pride in their eyes at how they all look and feel. So I never want Carnival to take that away from them. You also have to remember that for some it is a trip of a life time. So shouldn't we as good cruise mates allow them to have this great moment and dress up just a little bit. It doesn't hurt me to pack an pair of slacks and a nice shirt

Here is my humble 2 cents, I feel sometimes we forget that for some a cruise is something that people dream about. Even though in most cases it is cheaper than a land vacation. To these cruisers it about what they have seen on tv or read about and for them getting dressed up and looking top notch only happens at weddings or other such events. Having the Elegant night is something they really look forward to. I am always amazed when I see a husband and wife or family getting a photo taken on Elegant night and seeing the wife or mother with such pride in their eyes at how they all look and feel. So I never want Carnival to take that away from them. You also have to remember that for some it is a trip of a life time. So shouldn't we as good cruise mates allow them to have this great moment and dress up just a little bit. It doesn't hurt me to pack an pair of slacks and a nice shirt

Excellent post! And very nicely said!

I'm also enjoying reading your Ecstasy review.:D

Very nicely said! I agree! I’m a TN Vol too!! I live in Knoxville. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I started cruising back in the days when formal was formal. You had the tux and the gown and most people took them off right after dinner, if it was allowed. We also started cruising on Celebrity and that was suit on "semi-formal" nights.

Even on Carnival it was tuxedos and gowns on formal night and the cruise uniform of Polo shirt and Dockers on the other nights.

After fifteen or so cruises we got tired of playing dress up and luckily that was about the same time that NCL went "Freestyle" and we took our next seven or eight cruises on NCL. We dressed decently for dinner. Dress and nice top for my wife and a pair of dress pants and a button up or Polo shirt for me. We loved it.

Gradually other cruise lines saw the handwriting on the wall and relaxed their dress code and we went back to cruising Carnival (which we had stayed away from because of the false reputation it had) and other cruise lines.

I have to say that I haven't worn a tuxedo in ten years and love it. I will pack a suit when we sail Celebrity or a line that has a true formal night.

I like the relaxed dress code but I do admit that it drives me crazy to see someone eating, in the MDR, while wearing a baseball cap or other hat. But I keep it to myself and as long as the clothes are clean, not smelly and cover what needs to be covered I don't give it a second thought.

With the current pricing, there are many sailing that you can sail Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean for the same or less money for a cabin. Sail on one of those and dress up to your heart's content. Or you can sail on Carnival and dress up to your heart's content but don't expect everyone else to.

Take care,

Mike

We stopped dressing 'elegant' when the airlines started charging for bags. Plus, we just don't enjoy getting all dressed up on vacation. We wear what use to be called 'church clothes' before jeans and T's became the norm at church. A black slacks and nice top for me and slacks and a button or polo shirt for him. Besides, I don't care what anyone else wears. It doesn't bear on my experience what so ever.

Great attitude! We feel/do Exactly the same. It's OUR cruise and other's grumblings/behavior have absolutely no effect on OUR experience. Lol, learned that on our very first cruise, am very thankful we did. No sense in paying to be miserable 😉 despite others apparent love of it.

What if I wear a tank top under a sport coat, Miami-Vice style?

I wore a pink ball cap with dressy clothes on our first cruise after my hair fell out from chemo. The Maitre'D gave me a snarly look but I just ignored him and went to our table. Ball caps were not allowed, but mine was clean and covering my bald head. I wasn't trying to break any rule, just felt uncomfortable without it. After a few days, I was met with a smile.

I'm the OP. I've really enjoyed reading every post in response to my question/poll, and thanks to everyone for responding. I'm also surprised how close the poll is. It seems like the preference for and against dressing "cruise elegant" is approaching equal-nearly half think it should change, but a narrow margin think it should remain as-is.

I wonder though, what if cruise elegant remained as a "suggestion," but cruise casual would also be accepted into the dining room. That wouldn't negate from the opportunity for passengers to dress "cruise elegant" if they should choose to, and would still allow those that want to dress "cruise elegant" to have their photos taken, but still allow those that don't want to dress "cruise elegant" to enjoy their evening in the dining room. Does it really matter that everyone be forced to prescribe to the same choice of dress as long as dress remains civil?

Couldn't we all just respect each other's choice of elegant or casual and simply enjoy the fabulous food and service in the absence of prescribed formal rules, without judgment on either side?

I'm a very seasoned cruiser (and yes that means I'm not a spring chicken), and I thoroughly enjoy watching the young couples and families that want to dress cruise elegant and have their photos made, but I also think that others that are also on their "vacation getaway" should be able to enjoy the improved food options on cruise elegant night without having to dress elegantly.

Another way to read that is, I did all those "dress-up" photos in my younger days, but no longer wish to do those. I respect your option to do those because they do provide great cruise memories. But that isn't something I continue to value, but instead value the option to dress casual or elegant.

I've enjoyed many, many formal and cruise elegant nights in my many years cruising, but can honestly say that the experience of enjoying great company in the dining room for the evening meal has never hinged on what my table mates were wearing.

Keep the comments coming. I'm enjoying reading what each of you think about this topic. There's a lot to be said for thoughtful, respectful exchanges of thoughts.