CPAP Machine

Sandy1975

Hi everyone! My mother in law is coming with us on her first cruise (I think I am more excited than she is about it!) and I want to make sure she has a great time. She uses a CPAP machine and told me that distilled water is needed. I have read that we can request an extension cord can so that it it compliant with the cabin but how about the water? She will have the classic bev package so I guess she could use the bottled waters but if I want to request distilled water, is there a charge for it?. I know we could bring it on board but I would rather not deal with that but I also do not want her to be charge for distilled water.

Any help / guidance on this will be really appreciated. Thanks

After submitting the form X will email back a confirm back. Nevertheless the request sometimes gets lost between Miami and the ship. If water and extension cord aren't in your cabin at embarkation just speak with your cabin steward and they will magically appear. If she desires, steward will tape the cord down so she doesn't trip over it.

Sandy,

I too am a CPAP user.

I sent my form out last Thursday, received a confirmation on Monday.

Your Mom will be well taken care of.

Thanks, it is my mother in law but she is like my second mom.

We are taking her with Us on this cruise and I just want her to have the best time of her life and be taken care off.

We always fill out the form. If it is not in your cabin when you get there just tell your cabin attendant and they will provide the water. They will also provide an extension cord but it is an industrial one and my husband keeps a regular one in his CPAP case and uses that. You will have to plug it in across the room a bit so make sure, if you bring one, it is long enough.

Pat C

We always fill out the form. If it is not in your cabin when you get there just tell your cabin attendant and they will provide the water. They will also provide an extension cord but it is an industrial one and my husband keeps a regular one in his CPAP case and uses that. You will have to plug it in across the room a bit so make sure, if you bring one, it is long enough.

Pat C

Celebrity is supposed to be confiscating extension cords, but security did not say anything to me when I carried an extension cord in our carry on luggage last fall. I had no plans to use it, I only bought it with us incase I needed it at the pre-cruise hotel (didn't need it there either, so it went round trip from TX to FL and back and was never touched). I agree that the cords they provide are over kill to say the least. Funny, but if the power cords that are part of my APAP had been about 2 feet longer I would not have even needed an extension cord.

celebrity ships all have 110V outlets in the cabin so packing a 15' extension cord from your local hardware store should always travel with your cpap. Note that almost all US extension cords will also work (safely) on 220-240V, even though they aren't clearly rated for that voltage (don't worry about 50 vs 60hz....that has no effect on this discussion).. If you look closely, the wire almost always is stamped 110-240V but the connectors aren't. GIven the low power requirements of a cpap, from a practical view, it's really not necessary to carry an industrial rated 240V cord.

Our experience on the Infinity last week: I'd requested and had written confirmation of the need for an extension cord and distilled water for the bi-pap, but they were not in the cabin. As it turned out, there was an outlet behind the bed so only the water was needed. We mentioned the need to the butler and the attendant, distilled water was in the cabin after dinner, no problem.

I just tell my TA and I never had a problem.

Most of the time the extension cord and distilled water is waiting for me when I first check into the room. If not, I mention it to the room steward when he introduces himself upon checking into the room and within a few minutes he brings it.

We were just on the Equinox, I sent the request in and we had an extension cord and water in our room. I totally forgot, walked into our room and asked my husband “why is there an extension cord and water”? Totally forgot about requesting it for him ;p.

My spouse has used Cpap for many years. Celebrity is good at providing distilled water and an extension cord. Cabin has 2 us and 2 european outlets. Do not bring an extension cord. We used to bring a surge strip with more outlets. Until it was confiscated by the security on the ship. Now we take a plug that has multiple ports. Buy on Amazon. That allows us to charge devices....cameras, ipods, ipads, kindles, cell phones, etc. since we each have multiple devices, the outlets in the cabin weren't enough.

My DH uses a CPAP machine, we have been on a number of cruises and were told the tap water on ships is distilled enough for the machines so have always used that, hope we've not made a mistake

You haven't made a mistake....you are still alive :) But in the future, it's a bit safer to use bottled water, of some sort, than using water directly out of your room faucet. You don't want any fancy bottled water, just something that's filtered and hopefully purified with as little added to it as possible (read the labels). (note: distilled is just a type of purified water...RO is another which is really just as good)

There are three reasons that distilled water is recommended....1) to avoid mineral build up and 2) to avoid breathing in fumes or worse from the water (eg. chlorine....), 3) and obviously to avoid any sort of germs that might be lurking in tap water from the pipes, storage tanks, etc.

Cruise ships are generally pretty careful with their water supplies....unlike hotels and airplanes.....but bottled water is still preferable.

Hi everyone! My mother in law is coming with us on her first cruise (I think I am more excited than she is about it!) and I want to make sure she has a great time. She uses a CPAP machine and told me that distilled water is needed. I have read that we can request an extension cord can so that it it compliant with the cabin but how about the water? She will have the classic bev package so I guess she could use the bottled waters but if I want to request distilled water, is there a charge for it?. I know we could bring it on board but I would rather not deal with that but I also do not want her to be charge for distilled water.

Any help / guidance on this will be really appreciated. Thanks

Just check the special needs section on their web site. No charge for cord or water. We've never had a problem.

You haven't made a mistake....you are still alive :) But in the future, it's a bit safer to use bottled water, of some sort, than using water directly out of your room faucet. You don't want any fancy bottled water, just something that's filtered and hopefully purified with as little added to it as possible (read the labels). (note: distilled is just a type of purified water...RO is another which is really just as good)

There are three reasons that distilled water is recommended....1) to avoid mineral build up and 2) to avoid breathing in fumes or worse from the water (eg. chlorine....), 3) and obviously to avoid any sort of germs that might be lurking in tap water from the pipes, storage tanks, etc.

Cruise ships are generally pretty careful with their water supplies....unlike hotels and airplanes.....but bottled water is still preferable.

Distilled water is NOT just purified. It is either done by reverse osmosis or by evaporation. There are NO minerals in distilled water, which makes it far better in your CPAP humidifier. You can use tap or bottled for a night or 2, but after that residue will start to accumulate.

Distilled water is NOT just purified. It is either done by reverse osmosis or by evaporation. There are NO minerals in distilled water, which makes it far better in your CPAP humidifier. You can use tap or bottled for a night or 2, but after that residue will start to accumulate.

Distilled water is one type of purified water. RO water is another type of purified water. Distilled water is not the same as RO water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reverse osmosis was my profession for 20 years. RO water is not the same purity as distilled. The reverse osmosis process typically removes 90 to 95 % of total dissolved impurities - very good for drinking. Tap water may have 300 to 600 parts per million of dissolved impurities. 90% removal form 600 would leave you with about 50 p.p.m. Distilling removes almost 100%. For your CPAP machine, you want only distilled, or as a previous poster correctly mentioned, buildup will happen, shortening the life of the machine.

Just to allay any fears from reading the previous posts, there are different types of cpap humidifiers. If your cpap uses a self contained water reservoir with its own heating plate, you may, over time, have build up in that replaceable tank and perhaps your hose and mask, but you won’t ruin your expensive cpap. If the water tank and/or water heater is integral to your cpap, you need to be more careful because you can’t easily replace parts. You replace your hose and mask anyway so the risk is getting mineral buildup on the heating plate/coil or integrated water container.

Twodjs...thanks for the corroborating post....

Sent from my iPad using Forums