Questions about the Granduer

I am sailing out of Baltimore next week on the Granduer for 4 days, and was curious if anyone knew how early you could disembark upon returning? I am trying to get my daughter to school when we return, so wanted to see if I could plan how late she would be! Also, any suggestions on cruising with a 4 year old - first time with a child! Thanks!

If you self carry your luggage, it's possible to be off the ship between 7:30 and 8:00

Got off this morning and was in my car at 7:40, was great!

This has been our experience, too. You could be earlier than 7:30, but we have not rushed to be first in line.

Baltimore is a very easy port to navigate. There are no escalators or elevators needed to slow down the line.

If doing self carry have someone get in line early as the line can get quite long. In my experience it sometimes looks as if a third of the ship is doing self carry on Grandeur.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The bottleneck usually occurs trying to clear US customs. On our last Grandeur cruise, it seemed that half the passengers were doing self carry. To be safe, I would not plan on being out of the cruise port until 8:00AM.

At least in August, there was no more "customs" at Baltimore.

You clear immigration check (passport check) then grab your luggage and go. Not second check with the luggage. Airports are this was since the spring.

We were in a suite, so go the short line, but it looked like most of the luggage was already ready to be picked up.

At least in August, there was no more "customs" at Baltimore.

You clear immigration check (passport check) then grab your luggage and go. Not second check with the luggage. Airports are this was since the spring.

Isn't the "immigration check" portion also the "customs" portion? I've never seen a second check with the luggage in Baltimore.

I am sailing out of Baltimore next week on the Granduer for 4 days, and was curious if anyone knew how early you could disembark upon returning? I am trying to get my daughter to school when we return, so wanted to see if I could plan how late she would be! Also, any suggestions on cruising with a 4 year old - first time with a child! Thanks!

To answer your question and as previously stated, you should be at your car by 8:00 am if you parked in the Port parking lot (perhaps up to 30 minutes earlier if the lines are shorter). The key is to get in line early for self-disembark.

Isn't the "immigration check" portion also the "customs" portion? I've never seen a second check with the luggage in Baltimore.

Now it is.

I have not arrived in Baltimore before August. My previous cruise out of there, my Mother had medical issues, and I flew back from Halifax separately from the ship.

But at airports, there used to be two different checks for immigration and customs. But no longer.

Yes, it is. We've cruised out of Baltimore since 2009 and have never had two checks. Also, never out of any other port we've cruised from. We don't do self-carry and usually have a low number and if we get off as soon as our number is called, we're in our car by 8:30-8:45. On weekdays when we don't want to deal with rush hour, we take our time and usually get off after 8:30 to be in our car around 9-9:30. Customs moves very quickly in Baltimore and especially because GR isn't a huge ship.