Signing for drinks

We bought the deluxe beverage package- will we sign for our drinks? I'm only asking because I don't carry cash around as I usually don't have pockets but I do want to tip additional for my drinks.

With Carnival, I've always signed and been able to add my tip there.

They may or may not ask you to sign. If you want to sign, ask them for a receipt.

They may or may not ask you to sign. If you want to sign, ask them for a receipt.

Thanks, good to know I can always ask for a receipt to tip extra. I just know that when you do the drink packages, their tips are not as much as they would be had you paid individually, and want to still show appreciation for good service.

They always gave us a slip on the pool deck bars, less often downstairs for whatever reason. I never saw anyone add to the amount on the paper, and I was curious about it so I did keep my eye out. The extra cash dollar tip did occur here and there. I felt comfortable leaving it at the packaged gratuity amount. No slip at the Bionic Bar either for those who feel obligated to tip a human extra but maybe not a robot.

Thanks, good to know I can always ask for a receipt to tip extra. I just know that when you do the drink packages, their tips are not as much as they would be had you paid individually, and want to still show appreciation for good service.

I agree with your intentions, but I'm not sure that tips added to a receipt go exclusively to the server in full. I'm not even sure that cash tips are not shared, but I figure cash tips have a better chance of being kept by that server.

Bring cash - it definitely goes to the bartender/server. No clue where a signed tip goes. I've also noticed that very busy bars will often not notice the fact that you've left a tip on the slip.

Maybe this varies ship to ship, or even bar to bar, but it seems to me that bartenders tend to put cash tips in a common bucket, and bar servers keep cash tips. This is also what I've been told by various bar managers.

There is an 18% tip included in the drinks package price as well.

There is an 18% tip included in the drinks package price as well.

Don't they just charge the 18% to the package price though? We paid $44 a day. Do they charge us an additional 7.92 or do they add it to the original price of each drink?

Nevermind, I went back to my order. They charged 18% to the package price. If we drank 8 drinks a day, the servers would be getting less than a dollar tip per drink. Far less than 18%, so we like to add another $1 or $2 in appreciation. But it sounds like I may need to plan to bring cash.

I agree with your intentions, but I'm not sure that tips added to a receipt go exclusively to the server in full. I'm not even sure that cash tips are not shared, but I figure cash tips have a better chance of being kept by that server.

I always give cash tips be it on the ship or at home rather than adding it onto the bill on the additional gratuity line as many waiters have told me this is best for them.

Was on Allure in Sept & any alcoholic drink I got they printed a receipt. If I was just getting a soda, they did not.

I tried to tip w/cash but when I didn't have any I just added it to the receipt.

The only time i had to sign on Freedom in June was when there was extra to pay on top of the Deluxe Drinks $12 limit.

I always give cash tips be it on the ship or at home rather than adding it onto the bill on the additional gratuity line as many waiters have told me this is best for them.

Good to hear, that is consistent with what we've been told.

Don't they just charge the 18% to the package price though? We paid $44 a day. Do they charge us an additional 7.92 or do they add it to the original price of each drink?

Nevermind, I went back to my order. They charged 18% to the package price. If we drank 8 drinks a day, the servers would be getting less than a dollar tip per drink. Far less than 18%, so we like to add another $1 or $2 in appreciation. But it sounds like I may need to plan to bring cash.

I gave a dollar a drink in cash everytime because our Deluxe Drinks package was free.

We rarely drink except in the DL so would never buy a drinks package.

I asked a barmaid one year how much of the gratuity they received from the packages, I was told that they received $0.50 for each drink served. We never added extra on the slip, however we always tip extra cash at the end of our cruise as we tend to find a favorite bar and stay there people watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I asked a barmaid one year how much of the gratuity they received from the packages, I was told that they received $0.50 for each drink served. We never added extra on the slip, however we always tip extra cash at the end of our cruise as we tend to find a favorite bar and stay there people watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the DL i give a dollar a drink tip and if we use our D voucher in a bar i give a dollar a drink there too.

Maybe this varies ship to ship, or even bar to bar, but it seems to me that bartenders tend to put cash tips in a common bucket, and bar servers keep cash tips. This is also what I've been told by various bar managers.

Yes, but I think that at least goes to the servers/bartenders, even if it is split. I don't know that they see ANY of the tips on the receipts. That's what several bartenders have mentioned to me on more than one cruise line.

DH specifically asked the bartender if they get the tip if we added it to the receipt and she said yes. Since we always went to the same bar during the day, he would periodically add $10 when he signed the receipt. At the pool, the server lost his card so he approached the bartender, who then searched for it and found it. DH added $10 to the receipt and he was his best friend the rest of the vacation.

We like doing it this way too, since we don't need to carry money at all around the ship and we find they really appreciate it.

We tip the bar server at dinner extra at the end of the week, in cash though, as well as our servers.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Yes, but I think that at least goes to the servers/bartenders, even if it is split. I don't know that they see ANY of the tips on the receipts. That's what several bartenders have mentioned to me on more than one cruise line.

Giving a couple of dollars cash in person to the bar waiter is more personal than just writing $2 in the additional gratuity collumn.

When I sailed on the Grandeur in August 2017, I bought the Deluxe Package and I did not sign for my drinks.

Same here.

Pool bar staff was GREAT, so I tipped a bit extra in cash every so often.

The cash went into a bucket at the back of the bar. So NOT to the individual you handed the tip to. I have heard that the tips at a bar are shared by that bar staff, not the entire crew or even all bar staff. But I have no way of checking this.