Wine package

labgalbella

We bought a wine package for our cruise on Zuiderdam for november. I asked they be delivered to the stateroom. Are we allowed to bring one into the dining room for dinner?

No need to have it delivered to your cabin if you're using it in the MDR. Your wine steward will bring your choice to your table depending on the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bought a wine package for our cruise on Zuiderdam for november. I asked they be delivered to the stateroom. Are we allowed to bring one into the dining room for dinner?

Yes, that should not cause an issue. But why would you want to store all of your bottles of wine in your package in your stateroom? Your MDR Wine Steward will provide whatever you want from your package and you may take it with you to enjoy elsewhere on the ship.

If you want the wine at dinner and not in your stateroom call shipboard services and have them change the delivery from stateroom to the MDR (Main Dining Room).

You can also send a bottle from the MDR back to your stateroom if you so desire.

It will all be chilled (if you want white) in the MDR.

JMO -- but I would have the wine package set up for the dining room.

Remember that you do not get a bottle of each of the wines listed in the package.

Once you get to dinner -- take a copy of the receipt -- talk to your wine steward -- and decide what wine you want that evening. You do not have to make a decision on what wines you want for other dinners at that time.

And if you do want to take a bottle (or 2) back to your cabin -- just tell the wine steward and he will see that it is delivered to your cabin.

Just curious...why would you want all of it delivered to your stateroom?

I was thinking that I didn't know what I wanted for dinner so I would check menu early and decide the wine and then just get it to the dr.

You can do the same thing in the MDR (dr). You choose every night (or every other night if you have saved some wine from the night before).

You are making this tough on yourself - ordering to the stateroom (assuming you can order) and then taking it to the MDR. Just order it in the MDR as you view the menu easy.

Little story -on the Oosterdam - somehow my wine order (I don't pre-order now to see the choices but that is my choice) got switched from the dining room to the stateroom and the stewards came with different bottles of wine (many of which we would not have chosen). I got it fixed but who needs that?

I just find it easier to order the package for the dining room, tell my wine steward our choice(s) for the evening. The white wine is cold and the red wine is ready.

It's the easiest solution IMO. You can still study the menu and decide what you want - but no need to lug the wine, try to get it cool or make arrangements in advance. JMO though ;)

I was thinking that I didn't know what I wanted for dinner so I would check menu early and decide the wine and then just get it to the dr.

As others have said, leave the package in the hands of the Wine Steward and at dinner then choose your wine paired to your meal. If unfinished they will cork it and hold for you or you can take it to your cabin. Less work for you [emoji16]

I would purchase the wine package onboard, in the main dining room, as the wine stewards seem to appreciate this (I think they get something for you doing so). A couple of things to consider:

1. You may want to attend the wine tasting event (normally first sea day) prior to purchasing, as that way you can get an idea of whether to get the Navigator or Admiral package (Admiral cost more but seems to have better quality wines).

2. You can have the wine steward "keep" your unfinished bottle. You can have more than one bottle unfinished as well.

3. If you have Open dining, it can sometimes take a bit to get your unfinished bottle, as the wine steward could be different each day.

4. If you are a 4 or 5 Star Mariner, the cost of the package (but not the service charge) is discounted by 50%. Plus you get a free invite to the wine tasting. With this discount, I find the wine prices to be very reasonable.

I assume that you can arrange with the MDR wine steward to have it delivered to a specialty restaurant. Do you need to do that the day prior, or will the specialty restaurant know that you have the package and just handle it?

I assume that you can arrange with the MDR wine steward to have it delivered to a specialty restaurant. Do you need to do that the day prior, or will the specialty restaurant know that you have the package and just handle it?

We usually arrange it the evening prior at dinner then when you get to your “specialty” evening just tell the wine steward that your MDR steward arranged for the wine for you, easy peasy!

The Wine Steward in the specialty restaurant will be able to obtain your "saved" MDR bottle of wine. Or, even a different bottle from your wine package. Some of these Stewards are more "happy" to do so than others. The one, in my experience, who obviously was not "so pleased" was duly noted on my end of cruise survey.

We usually arrange it the evening prior at dinner then when you get to your “specialty” evening just tell the wine steward that your MDR steward arranged for the wine for you, easy peasy!

We do the same. Let our dining stewards know we will be elsewhere and the wine steward. We ask the wine steward to arrange for the transfer.

Easy to have it sent elsewhere and saves someone hunting in the Pinnacle Grill or other specialty restaurants.

Totally agree on the "easy peasy."

In the past we always had wine packages set for MDR delivery. This upcoming cruise, I changed it to stateroom. No particular reason; I just wanted to see how it works. I am tempted to call HAL and change it back though. It seems awkward to carry a bottle to every dinner.

I will be going on a fairly long cruise but I am not starting in the normal embarkation port but meeting the ship later on. Should I just talk to the wine steward once I am on board to obtain the package or is it better to order in advance? Unfortunately I'll miss any early set up or wine tasting event.

I will be going on a fairly long cruise but I am not starting in the normal embarkation port but meeting the ship later on. Should I just talk to the wine steward once I am on board to obtain the package or is it better to order in advance? Unfortunately I'll miss any early set up or wine tasting event.

I prefer to wait until I am onboard. They don't always have all offerings listed on the website and sometimes they substitute for cruises. I prefer to see which ones are available on the cruise and can then decide which package will do the trick (or if we need both ;) )

There's no discount or benefit for ordering early that I have ever seen.