Watered down Booze

cchoffat

Last year on the Oasis, I noticed the drinks being weak. I don't drink very often, maybe once a year at that. We sprung for the Deluxe for each of use and for the first 3 days I tried all sorts of drinks. I figured why not I am not driving anywhere. Never once did I even get a buzz. The only time I did feel something is when we went to the champagne bar. After 2 glasses of that boy did I feel it. And that was after drinking all day. My husband said the same thing. Mixed drinks never felt any different. Only until he was drinking beer did he feel any effects.

I think they are doing something. So I would agree based on my experience.

Exactly what we did. It was the bottle of wine at dinner that we really noticed it. "Hey the wine has more kick than the vodka tonics"

Last year on the Oasis, I noticed the drinks being weak. I don't drink very often, maybe once a year at that. We sprung for the Deluxe for each of use and for the first 3 days I tried all sorts of drinks. I figured why not I am not driving anywhere. Never once did I even get a buzz. The only time I did feel something is when we went to the champagne bar. After 2 glasses of that boy did I feel it. And that was after drinking all day. My husband said the same thing. Mixed drinks never felt any different. Only until he was drinking beer did he feel any effects.

They're only allowed 1 shot per drink. Just wait 5 minutes and order another shot.

I personally ask for no ice in these drinks as this certainly makes the drinks weaker.

Maybe its a matter of being on the drink package or not. I do not get the package (as it's not economical for my drinking habits) and have never had a problem with them being too weak. I do also know that the Ultimate Pina Colada with the extra rum is much better than the standard Pina Colada. Are both covered or is the Ultimate not included on the Plan? (I think it was a difference of $10.75 normal versus $14 Ultimate)

Maybe its a matter of being on the drink package or not. I do not get the package (as it's not economical for my drinking habits) and have never had a problem with them being too weak. I do also know that the Ultimate Pina Colada with the extra rum is much better than the standard Pina Colada. Are both covered or is the Ultimate not included on the Plan? (I think it was a difference of $10.75 normal versus $14 Ultimate)

All cocktails are included under the Deluxe Beverage package up to the package limit, which varies from $12-$14 depending on the sailing. If you order a cocktail over the package limit, you would just have to pay the difference.

FYI- alcohol on the rocks are only good for about 6 minutes. After that the ice will start to dilute the alcohol. Mixed drinks start to loss the mixed drink flavor. Also after about the 7th drink (beer or liquor) the average person can no long tell the difference between top shelf/ good beer and the cheap stuff. I don't think this is what happened to OP. But thought this may be useful info to share. Happy Sailing!!!

I agree with the original post. In fact, I think it's because I am a light drinker I could tell the drinks were less strong than I would get from a bar at home. Two glasses of wine at dinner and a little rough seas and I was struggling to walk straight. The wine was wine. I could taste the alcohol in my cocktails but I definitely wasn't feeling them the same way I do at home. One cocktail makes me feel relaxed, two makes me feel loopy. I'm not an alcoholic. I drank what I would consider to be a lot on board, 5-6 mixed drinks per afternoon, and didn't feel much effect.

Also wondering where the OP is from. I live in Colorado and the elevation does make a difference. I have never felt the drinks were weak or watered down on a cruise, except at the free drink parties someone else mentioned, and I have been known to drink a lot, but never feel out of control on a ship. This is the same for me when on a land based vacation as well, if we are at the beach, no problem!!

I have been on Harmony now for 4 weeks sitting at the bars daily. I always watch what is going on. And have never seen a different bottle for package and paying customers. This is fake news. The liquor is not watered down more fake news. I had no problem getting a buzz daily. All I see is people wanting something for free. Or try to game the system. It's kind of sad to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Observation...... on last two cruises, measured shot policy on Anthem & Quantum, however that said, not at all bars. You should not have to shop around on the ship for the "right" bartender. It did not seem to make a difference between complimentary drinks and drinks being paid for. No I'm not a big drinker but this is an irritant of my husband, and part of the attraction leading us to repeated bookings with RCCL after many cruises with Holland America. The Holland America measured shot policy went into affect, no bringing your own bottle on board any longer for drinks in cabin, however you could purchase an overpriced bottle of liquor from ship for an in cabin set up. Much like what is offered on RCCL on their ships. It was probably more the money grab that got my husband up in arms. Like I started out with just an observation on my part and a bit of our story. Personally I would rather enjoy a few good drinks out and about in one of the lounges, feeling great to be unplugged from work.

They are stingy with extra shots on the package... Drink top shelf Vodka, so that should be something... On the "AA" comment, if you think anyone who drinks needs AA, then perhaps you shouldn't read a post about watered down booze... The comment about never being on an empty stomach on a cruise, true that! :)
Never ever have had watered down drinks on RCL. Have to agree with a previous comment, maybe AA might be able to help.:rolleyes:

We were on the same cruise and also had the drink package but we did not have any issues with our drinks in fact it was just the opposite our drinks were a little on the strong side but we do tip our bartenders so maybe that had something to do with it don't know. But we did frequent one bar in particular everyday and always had the same bartenders so they became friendly with us to the point they saw us coming and had our drinks ready.

We recently sailed on the Explorer (9/22), and had the drink package. we DID think mixed drinks were weak, but I think this is a general thing onboard depending on the bar. Dizzy's had stout drinks, Sky Bar not so much. If we were hanging out at a bar during daylight hours it usually was the Sky Bar to watch activities or sailaway. Ditto on the wine, it was fine. I am a chard drinker and found the Kendall Jackson and Clos de Bois chilled and flowing. Solarium Bar was also good spot for a better cocktail.

I think the drinks are weak whether you have a package or not. If we did get a mixed drink, and I did not get many of them, we would drink some and then return to the bar and ask for an extra shot if it was too weak. Bartenders did this cheerfully, except for one at the Sky Bar who was generally less than stellar. He was the only RCI employee we encountered on the cruise who was less than awesome. He seemed to not like women, and made a few snide comments to me and my friend when our husband's were not with us. She ordered a moscow mule and he used some cheap never heard of it vodka, when the menu clearly stated Absolut. She questioned him on it, there was a bottle of Absolut, Grey Goose and Tito's right there, and he did not offer to remake the drink. We avoided him in the future.

We always tipped a little for drinks, $2-5, depending on how long we are at a bar, even with the package. All in all bar service very good, but have to concur on the weak drinks. I do not think it is watered down, they just do small pours.

I was also surprised I didn't get my butt kicked when I got drinking package for the first time and steered away from wine (normal preference) for liquor drinks (higher quality than wine).

I didn't do many overly sweet drinks (maybe none) but I think it was all the eating that really made the difference, and maybe drank a tad slower than with wine or more spaced out?

I always think I'm going to do some shots but the couple I tried reminded me I'm more a wine drinker.................. I wouldn't hesitate to order one to turn a weak drink into stronger drink b/c who wants to fill up on the mixer calories?

Hey OP, where are you from? Just wondering if by chance you live in a high altitude state. When people visit me in Colorado, they tend to get drunk really easily (which also happens to us when we head higher into the mountains). When you're in a higher altitude, you feel your alcohol more quickly. And if you're used to that and go sea level, you might find it takes longer to feel the same effect.

Also wondering where the OP is from. I live in Colorado and the elevation does make a difference. I have never felt the drinks were weak or watered down on a cruise, except at the free drink parties someone else mentioned, and I have been known to drink a lot, but never feel out of control on a ship. This is the same for me when on a land based vacation as well, if we are at the beach, no problem!!

Haha, I guess I should have read past page 1 before I posted. Obviously, I second this. This is a well known phenomena for us Coloradans.