Celebrity Cruises Becomes First Cruise Line to Offer Same Sex Marriages at Sea

LauraS

p - there is/was another thread on this started by chucktownsteve....

There's not much interest there either.

This is a pic from Celebrity's Facebook page.

enhance

That's LLP continuing to transform the line in her own image and politics. (So there is no misunderstanding, this is not a statement against same sex marriage.)

That's LLP continuing to transform the line in her own image and politics. (So there is no misunderstanding, this is not a statement against same sex marriage.)

c - I Am not sure that I know of ANY CEO/CFO/Partner/Owner/President of a corporation who does not transform and maintain their business in their own image and/or politics and/or religious beliefs or lack thereof. 'Most' of them have guiding principles by which they operate their businesses whether we agree with them or not is a different issue.

These principles are either up-front and transparent or deeply hidden from public or employee scrutiny, yet it is there to some degree.

Personally, I look at this roll out as good marketing to get a head start on a currently under-served and possible market share increase.

As per other information out there, other lines will start this service next year, what is the reason to wait until your competition starts before you get started? None I can think of, yet.

LL-P has been through at least two (2) stockholder meetings and at least six (6) BOD (speculation on this number) meetings, if there were issues with her leadership in this area (creating more diversity in passengers and crew), it would have been in the news big time.

In researching posts here on CC, it appears to be a minority of individuals who have it out for her, as well on other CC cruise line boards, several of those Presidents have individuals who are out for them too, so she is in good company overall as far as that goes from my perspective.

Thank you for your post, regardless.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Bo, in some cases you're correct but not all CEOs do that. The LBGTQ community has long been a large segment of the cruising population on many cruise lines. Among the staff as well. Even Azamara has daily LBGTQ activities listed in the Azamara Pursuits. No biggie.

What I don't see is any other cruise line CEO being as much an in your face activist on issues and politics. However what I find offensive in this case is the tacky picture. Not the fact that they're conducting marriages. I wonder if they threw Unicorns into the fuel mix to make that rainbow funnel discharge? :D

In hanging out on other boards (HAL Azamara & Oceania), I'm hearing about more and more people who are former Celebrity cruisers. Some are even saying they run into people on their cruises who claim to be former Celebrity cruisers. So I'm getting the feeling that it's not just a select few. Celebrity may be sailing full now because of cruises booked one and two years ago. But time will tell if the total direction she's taking Celebrity will sit well with the cruising community. Reduction of amenities, staff, food quality and increased pricing are just some of reasons I'm hearing.

Bo, in some cases you're correct but not all CEOs do that. The LBGTQ community has long been a large segment of the cruising population on many cruise lines. Among the staff as well. Even Azamara has daily LBGTQ activities listed in the Azamara Pursuits. No biggie.

What I don't see is any other cruise line CEO being as much an in your face activist on issues and politics. However what I find offensive in this case is the tacky picture. Not the fact that they're conducting marriages. I wonder if they threw Unicorns into the fuel mix to make that rainbow funnel discharge? :D

In hanging out on other boards (HAL Azamara & Oceania), I'm hearing about more and more people who are former Celebrity cruisers. Some are even saying they run into people on their cruises who claim to be former Celebrity cruisers. So I'm getting the feeling that it's not just a select few. Celebrity may be sailing full now because of cruises booked one and two years ago. But time will tell if the total direction she's taking Celebrity will sit well with the cruising community. Reduction of amenities, staff, food quality and increased pricing are just some of reasons I'm hearing.

C - sorry I did not get that the photo was the issue and reason for posting it.

From my perspective, the photo is fine as opposed to having couples in the advert, right away that is and not in a targeted magazine. I did not find the photo to be "in your face" which would have offended more individuals in the short run, especially those who monitor Facebook posts for X.

Most mainstream lines will have social functions for LBGQTI passengers at least once in each sailing, if not more or regularized daily. In my opine these functions are not substitutes for, at long last, a wedding celebration on board a cruise line.

Until the country of registration for each ship/cruise line approved same sex weddings legally they simply could not be performed aboard as other weddings were able to be.

As for passengers leaving for 'greener pastures' that is too be expected, thus marketing and appealing to new/additional markets wherever our however they can get a paying passenger.

Empty cabins on a ship that has sailed, is a loss of income. A wedding is an opportunity to introduce someone new to the product and opportunity to gain a new loyal passenger.

Even I expect that I will try different lines for a change every now and then. I must say that every sailing on X that I have been on was at least 90% fully booked.

I believe in choice on how we can spend our vacation $/£/€/¥ etc., if the politics of the Top Dog is offensive to make people leave, so be it. If the economics are overwhelming, so be it.

The BOD will right the shop if it is listing to far in one side or another. For now they appear to be happy.

Thank you for your post and further explaining the photo inclusion.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Cruise lines have been offering the ceremonial services to same sex couples for some time, however because of the ship's registry in Malta the marriage ceremonies had no legal standing. Malta's parliament recently acted to legalize the ceremonies which now extend to ship's masters serving as officiants. Celebrity has always been wonderful to their LGBT guests although the pricing for a ceremony package is quite high for both same and opposite sex couples at around $2000 minimum. A friend of mine, ironically, just inquired last month and was good to go until they got the price quote.

Never realized that a cruise line wouldn't do this. Nice to see it.

Keith

Cruise lines have been offering the ceremonial services to same sex couples for some time, however because of the ship's registry in Malta the marriage ceremonies had no legal standing. Malta's parliament recently acted to legalize the ceremonies which now extend to ship's masters serving as officiants. Celebrity has always been wonderful to their LGBT guests although the pricing for a ceremony package is quite high for both same and opposite sex couples at around $2000 minimum. A friend of mine, ironically, just inquired last month and was good to go until they got the price quote.

v - perchance, do you know what was or was not included in the pricing?

Thank you.

bon voyage

Considering HAL's average age has always been a decade or two more than celebrity's, sounds like a normal migration to them.

Not sure why you see a advertisement to LGBTs and have to even bring up the CEO's "politics". Stick with HAL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by Paulras

Considering HAL's average age has always been a decade or two more than celebrity's, sounds like a normal migration to them.

Not sure why you see a advertisement to LGBTs and have to even bring to the CEO's "politics". Stick with HAL.

I wouldn't know HAL's average age because I've never sailed them. But apparently many former Celebrity cruisers are. I do remember a couple of Summit sailings where you couldn't get by the bevy of motorized wheel chairs.

I suppose you haven't read any of LLP's interviews, news releases and policy statements over the past two years. There is a lot there you apparently don't see or hear. Everything on Celebrity mostly flows down from the top.

I wouldn't know HAL's average age because I've never sailed them. But apparently many former Celebrity cruisers are. I do remember a couple of Summit sailings where you couldn't get by the bevy of motorized wheel chairs.

I suppose you haven't read any of LLP's interviews, news releases and policy statements over the past two years. There is a lot there you apparently don't see or hear. Everything on Celebrity mostly flows down from the top.

Still not understanding your point on this being politics. Are you saying that lines that don't advertise to LGBT are anti-LGBT?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

enhance

I love the picture. I think it's wonderful. And let's face it, you bash Lisa and Celebrity with whatever they do. Just move on.