Price reduction for Royal Princess but unable to upgrade at new rate. Policy change??

jmss1950

FYI, apparently things can be changed as we have now succeeded in upgrading! Why didn't they just do this in the first place? If you are in the same situation, keep trying and good luck. Also before everyone suggests that I probably hassled them, I did not, but my TA who was unhappy with the outcome yesterday did call Princess again this morning and spoke with someone different.

So we ask our TA can we do an upsell to unobstructed balcony from our obstructed balcony G. It does cost more according to website but not a lot so would have done so.

This comes back.

I checked with Princess and they told me you are on a waitlist for an unobstructed balcony. They will let us know if you get an upgrade.

Scratching my head as to what this means.

Amazes me how great prices US citizens get for Princess cruises and also the fact that they can cancel without cost before final payment. I booked a cruise on Sapphire Princess from Southampton last week so not a late booking and on the confirmation from Princess it states cancellation costs and from the day I have booked if I cancelled now I would have to pay 15% of cruise cost. I was told last year by a Princess cruise sales rep onboard that they can cancel up until final payment date with no loss of deposit and its common in US for some to book numerous cruises to guarantee certain cabins and then just before final payment date they would cancel all except the one they then decide to go on. Princess rep told me that it was something Princess were looking at to stop a glut of cabins suddenly becoming available just before final payment date.

Its time things changed- I urge all Brits to contact Princess to see if there is something they can do, when they see something they feel is discriminating.

I have been having a go at Princess UK re the 3 for free not being available to UK.

Princess UK came back with the usual We are an International Company and market our cruises in different areas as we see fit.

So Tough.

I replied with 3 examples of US cruisers being able to a take up the offer on an existing booked cruise. AND split the cruise and get the Shareholders OBC on each part and asked how this was helping NEW sales

Response was to take what the US cruisers were saying with a pinch of salt as they would be subject to the same cancellation and rebooking fees as UK cruisers though I could ask for the cruises to be split and

pay any resultant fees!!

I am sure those saying what a great bargain they got would have at least mentioned that they had been charged fees but no-one I have seen did. we are talking of hundreds of dollars here and I dont think its at all fair.

I also think the US TAs seem more proactive in helping their clients get these offers

a few I have booked through a TA they have just provided the Cruise lines package

exactly so have not looked for better flights better placed seats on flights or different tranfers - just exactly the same without any OBC one might gave got booking direct.

though many offers in the UK only seem to come with Balcony bookings which we would never do as we prefer inside low down midships.

Edited by Aulanis

After final payment, can you cancel and pay whatever the refund policy says and then get the lower price? If we cancel within the next two weeks, we loose our FCC deposit of $200. What am I missing?
If you lose your FCC deposit, you're also losing any associated onboard credit unless you have extra FCC's on hand.

I was disappointed with Princess back in 2001 when prices dropped dramatically after 9/11. Our TA worked to get us an upgrade, but that was little compensation compared to seeing the cabins go so cheaply. I learned that if our travel plans could be flexible, we could end up taking advantage of last-minute bookings. We have done so several times. But we've also ended up not taking a cruise during DH's spring break because the prices just kept going up on all the cruises I was tracking.

Its time things changed- I urge all Brits to contact Princess to see if there is something they can do, when they see something they feel is discriminating.

I have been having a go at Princess UK re the 3 for free not being available to UK.

Princess UK came back with the usual We are an International Company and market our cruises in different areas as we see fit.

So Tough.

I replied with 3 examples of US cruisers being able to a take up the offer on an existing booked cruise. AND split the cruise and get the Shareholders OBC on each part and asked how this was helping NEW sales

Response was to take what the US cruisers were saying with a pinch of salt as they would be subject to the same cancellation and rebooking fees as UK cruisers though I could ask for the cruises to be split and

pay any resultant fees!!

I am sure those saying what a great bargain they got would have at least mentioned that they had been charged fees but no-one I have seen did. we are talking of hundreds of dollars here and I dont think its at all fair.

I also think the US TAs seem more proactive in helping their clients get these offers

a few I have booked through a TA they have just provided the Cruise lines package

exactly so have not looked for better flights better placed seats on flights or different tranfers - just exactly the same without any OBC one might gave got booking direct.

though many offers in the UK only seem to come with Balcony bookings which we would never do as we prefer inside low down midships.

We don't get a lot from Princess here either. 20% cancellation fees kick in on a cruise 6 months out, then increase closer to sailing date. Prior to that no cancellation fees if you book direct with Princess which is what I do. A T/A will normally charge a cancellation fee of their own.:evilsmile: We don't get the sip n Sail, but now and again 3 for free is offered, not that it is much. A little bit of Promo OBC now and then. We have sailed many times with Princess and have 3 booked next year. But the feeling in Australia, like you in the UK is that Princess cares most about its mainstream customers - the North Americans.

As for Princess Air, don't think much of that, we got far better price by us booking direct with Cathay Pacific, Sydney to Heathrow next year. Same with the Princess precruise/hotels, absolute rip off, get onto the hotel website and you will buy rooms 30% at least cheaper than what Princess want, all about getting maximum commission !! Same with transfers, say from Southampton to Heathrow, Princess want US$150 one way, National Express can get you there for 15 quid. Done it.

I certainly agree with you that UK and Australian/NZ cruisers are most certainly discriminated against, not only by Princess but by most of the other major cruise lines.

In both your posts you imply that you'll be switching to other lines in the future.. Why tell us ? The posters here have no influence with Princess and in reality I pretty sure no one really cares if you don't sail on Princess in the future. There have been reasonable posted explanations of Princess policy regarding after final payment "new bookings only" that most here by their own experiences have excepted and are aware of.

Srpilo

In the first sentence the OP states that they have sailed over 40 cruises on 7 different lines. As far as I'm concerned they have been switching all along so in reality nothing can change in term of switching cruise lines. The only change that can be made is booking last minute which if I had the flexibility to do so that's how I would book any cruise. The other option would be not to sail on Princess at all.

In the first sentence the OP states that they have sailed over 40 cruises on 7 different lines. As far as I'm concerned they have been switching all along so in reality nothing can change in term of switching cruise lines. The only change that can be made is booking last minute which if I had the flexibility to do so that's how I would book any cruise. The other option would be not to sail on Princess at all.

LOL... Gee thanks for your concern

Srpilo