Gluten free kids in Cozumel

Gatordad815

Hi all! We will be on the Oasis Western itinerary with a stop in Cozumel and I'm looking for kid-friendly beach/pool options that also have safe gluten-free food. My daughter who will be 5 at the time has celiac disease so the reliability of the GF food prep is really important to us.

If we don't feel comfortable with the reliability of GF options on the island, we will just feed her a big breakfast on the ship and bring safe pre-packaged GF snacks with us onto the island, but I would love to hear other people's experiences if there are more safe options than that for food for her.

I'd also love to hear general comments on fun things to do with small kids (5&3). I've been looking at paradise beach, playa Mia and Park Royal. Thoughts between those 3? Other options I should be considering?

Thank you all for any input!

I think I wouldn't take any chance with trying to find some gluten free restaurants in any port. I think the having a big breakfast onboard and taking some snacks/items that you know are fine would be the way to go.

I know most restaurants would try to be honest with what they tell you, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a chance. I say that, not because I am gluten free, but am highly allergic to shrimp. I went to a restaurant in a port several years ago and told them I had a severe allergy and that I couldn't have anything that was even cooked on a grill that had cooked shrimp. I was assured that I would be fine. Guess what? I had food that gave me an allergic reaction.

I guess if you went to a major hotel on your excursion and ate in one of their restaurants, you may be ok because logically they would have guests with gluten allergies and there would be problems if used false advertising, but in general, I wouldn't take a chance.

You can NOT take any food pre-packaged or not onto the island. They have dogs at the gate sniffing all bags..... I eat Gluten free as well & took an **unopened** bag of GF crackers with me in my bag in case I got hungry & wasn't able to find anything GF to eat while on the island.... guess what? That little doggie found it!

You can NOT take any food pre-packaged or not onto the island. They have dogs at the gate sniffing all bags..... I eat Gluten free as well & took an **unopened** bag of GF crackers with me in my bag in case I got hungry & wasn't able to find anything GF to eat while on the island.... guess what? That little doggie found it!

Wow this is very disappointing. :( I was under the impression that if it was pre packaged & sealed it would be OK. Do you know if it was only this way in Cozumel or did you experience this in other ports?

If I can't even bring a small snack off the ship for her I'm not sure I'd want to venture far from the ship (if at all). It breaks my heart to see her watch other people eat when I can't offer her at least a snack.

Any other info appreciated....

Wow this is very disappointing. :( I was under the impression that if it was pre packaged & sealed it would be OK. Do you know if it was only this way in Cozumel or did you experience this in other ports?

If I can't even bring a small snack off the ship for her I'm not sure I'd want to venture far from the ship (if at all). It breaks my heart to see her watch other people eat when I can't offer her at least a snack.

You can take prepackaged food off, we always do, dd14 has celiac. Unpackaged food can’t be taken off.

You can take prepackaged food off, we always do, dd14 has celiac. Unpackaged food can’t be taken off.

That was not the case with me in Sept. 2016.

As I said...the dog found my PRE Packaged (unopened) bag of crackers. You are not allowed to take food of any kind into Cozumel. If you did, then you just "got away with it."

I agree. I take food for my kids all the time (food allergies) and have never had a problem. I have stopped in Cozumel at least 15 times with them and never had a problem taking prepackaged crackers, cereal, snacks etc.

Well, the dog sure found mine! And the guard said no.

Other ports are fine...Cozumel has dogs & guards at the gate & they sniff bags as you enter the port area.... the other ports do not. This was the case in Sept 2016. You can TRY to take food off....all they'll do is take it from you or you can walk it back to the ship... I've been to Cozumel 12 times............ each visit they get more strict.

That was not the case with me in Sept. 2016.

As I said...the dog found my PRE Packaged (unopened) bag of crackers. You are not allowed to take food of any kind into Cozumel. If you did, then you just "got away with it."

I am very sorry that this happened to you but you are absolutely not correct. You MAY bring manufacturer sealed food such as crackers, peanut butter etc. It must be in the sealed bag and unopened. You may not have a ziplock bag with food.

Again...sorry that happened to you but just want the OP to know it is ok.

Thanks!

I have a gluten intolerance and I have never had issues taking sealed pre-packaged snacks off the ship (ie: protien bars, etc) and we have been to Cozumel several times.

When we went to Chankanaab - we bought american snacks in sealed packages (ie chips or ice cream etc) that I was 100% certain was gf. This was several years ago.

We have also gone to Paradise beach. Great place, but I could not be certain what we ordered was 100% gf.

Good luck!

I am very sorry that this happened to you but you are absolutely not correct. You MAY bring manufacturer sealed food such as crackers, peanut butter etc. It must be in the sealed bag and unopened. You may not have a ziplock bag with food.

Again...sorry that happened to you but just want the OP to know it is ok.

Thanks!

deleted.....not worth it

all are correct, sometimes there are dogs and guards looking for fresh food, vegies, food or drugs, but if a dog sniffes (?) the prepacked food, and the guard says no, just tell the guard why you are taken it off the ship, show him some proof about the allergy or why you or your kids must have to eat GF, and he will let you go, if the guard doesnt speak english, just look around who can translate for you