Update on St. Thomas

BarbinMich

There’s also concern of contaminated swimming water due to the hurricane and any current rains causing runoff from sewers and other bacteria filled areas. Someone had reported staph being detected in the water. [emoji33] I’m tracking the weekly beach report from DNPR to see which beaches will be safe when we go in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is DNPR?

Water quality report here: http://www.**********/recovery/environment/dpnr-beach-advisory/ (enter vinow dot com instead of the ***) Looks like most of the beaches in St. Thomas are safe for swimming this week: Magen’s Bay Vessup Bay Secret Harbor Sapphire Lindbergh Bay Coki PointBologna BayBrewer’s BayLindquistBluebeards They update the list every week so check before you go.

Edited by pklein9747
edit

I know this is a Princess Forum, however, we were informed the other day that our Dec 2 cruise on Harmony of the Seas which originally was going to stop in St. Maarten has been replaced with St. Thomas!!! So go figure and we are still going to San Juan. I think the cruise lines are assessing the situation day by day and relying on that little subscript in their passage contract that says "ports and itinerary may change at any time without any notice". We take it all in stride. These days the ships are so big and have so much happening on them (e.g. Harmony) that if you never see a port, you are not really losing anything (especially if you have been to the ports numerous times before). We simply enjoy the ship as the destination now.

We just received notice that our Nov. Princess cruise will be stopping in St Thomas. They did have us for St Croix, which we would prefer. If the infrastructure is as bad as what is being said, we will stay on the ship.

the royal is scheduled to be in st thomas on november 12.

i plan on snorkeling and really hope the water is safe!

Somewhere on CC I posted a question about the condition of the reefs after the hurricanes struck. I was afraid all the heavy waves generated might have damaged reefs. Never got a reply. So will be eager to hear what it's like when you're there.