How soon to buy drinks package?

tanyaewa

I'm wondering how far out I should secure our drinks package for Med cruise Sept 2018?

In the past we have had drinks pkg included on NCL and bought ahead when booking since it was only 60 days out on Carnival, and now the silly system for our Dec 2017 on RCCL has a fluctuating price scheme where it changes literally daily so I grabbed a *sale* price but have to check everyday that it hasn't gone down!

Is Princess relatively stable? Do you advise booking ahead? Can you buy onboard? Is there likley to be some wholesale change in policy whereby I'd benefit from locking down this far out?

TIA - I am lookig forward to sailing Princess again for the first time since 2000

Up until very recently the all inclusive beverage package (AIBP) was slightly cheaper if you bought it before you sailed rather than on the ship the first day. Now they changed it to the Premier Beverage Package (PBP) and raised the cost of course. I don't know if it is cheaper before you sail or while on the ship. The other package, the unlimited soda "card" (actually your cruise card with it being recorded in the database) is the same. The new coffee card is unknown until someone reports on cc if the price is different.

When you board there will be ample opportunity that day to purchase the packages. They will have tables set up outside the buffet area as well as a good number of other places.

Up until very recently the all inclusive beverage package (AIBP) was slightly cheaper if you bought it before you sailed rather than on the ship the first day. Now they changed it to the Premier Beverage Package (PBP) and raised the cost of course. I don't know if it is cheaper before you sail or while on the ship. The other package, the unlimited soda "card" (actually your cruise card with it being recorded in the database) is the same. The new coffee card is unknown until someone reports on cc if the price is different.

When you board there will be ample opportunity that day to purchase the packages. They will have tables set up outside the buffet area as well as a good number of other places.

ewww damn the gigs up. You've givin out the secret....... Dilly ... Dilly

I'm wondering how far out I should secure our drinks package for Med cruise Sept 2018?

In the past we have had drinks pkg included on NCL and bought ahead when booking since it was only 60 days out on Carnival, and now the silly system for our Dec 2017 on RCCL has a fluctuating price scheme where it changes literally daily so I grabbed a *sale* price but have to check everyday that it hasn't gone down!

Is Princess relatively stable? Do you advise booking ahead? Can you buy onboard? Is there likley to be some wholesale change in policy whereby I'd benefit from locking down this far out?

TIA - I am looking forward to sailing Princess again for the first time since 2000

This is the past and current situation regarding the beverage packages. After a few years under the original package the current version and pricing of the beverage package was introduced just a few months ago. What Princess might do in the future is unknown. In the slight chance that Princess runs a sale on the beverage package, you could always cancel, receive the credit and then re-purchase.

The price is US$68.99/day, gratuities included. As of right now the price is the same pre-purchase or on board. Package must be purchased for all days, sea and port, of the cruise, ie 12 day cruise = 12 x $68.99. Pre-purchase must be at least 4 days prior to sailing. I have not seen any sales ever offered on Princess' beverage package. If purchased on board purchase on boarding day. I have never seen partial pricing after boarding day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If cruising in the Med and waiting until you board to buy it be careful of tax added. If you buy in Barcelona there will be local tax to pay. If you buy it beforehand then there is no tax to pay, and no tax on any drink 'purchased' with the package when in any port.

I would keep an eye on your cruise personaliser, to say the price will be the same if you book months ahead or when you first board is wrong, like all things it can change at any time………..or maybe it wont!

I’m booked on a cruise out of Sydney in January, they had a special offer of a A$10 per day discount on the new beverage package, it had to be booked by 31st October though.

Never say never!