Snorkel equip. as checked luggage

JF - retired RRT

Just wondering...has anyone ever checked their snorkel equipment (in the appropriate carrying bag) at the port?

We wouldn't fly with our gear, but do take it on warm weather cruises and schlepping it on board is a hassle.

Is it safe to check it with the porters? Would you do it? Have you done it?

What type of equipment? I always pack my mask and snorkel in my suitcase. If I brought my own fins I would do the same. Are you referring to more elaborate gear?

Nope. Mask, fins, snorkel, no room in our suitcases, unless we add another one. The problem this time is that we are taking 3 extra suitcases (which we'll be checking), but our carry-on stuff includes 1 roll aboard suitcase and 2 carry-on bags plus the snorkel stuff (X 2). That's a lot of carry-ons, more than usual, but we're taking suitcases that will be dropped off in Kauai (previous thread about this if you're interested).

Just more than we usually drag around.

We always carry our masks, mine is prescription and I would be very upset if anything happened to it while travelling to a port where I planned on snorkeling. We pack our wetsuits and other gear in a suitcase and hand it over to the porters with our other suitcases.

We always check our snorkel gear. We have a bag that is made for traveling, we have never had a problem and we have done it on over seas trips, trips to Kauai, cruises it's much easier then carrying them on.

I always (warm weather only! Not to Alaska!!) pack my mask (prescription) and snorkel. I sometimes pack my fins, especially if I want to swim from deserted beaches, but if I don't have the room, I will rent the fins.

I have never even gotten strange looks from the ship crew as I bring my gear off and back on, although I have gotten advice and questions from crew members as to the best spots. Carrying the gear is an invitation to conversation.

Edited by Mike45LC
Addendum

Nope. Mask, fins, snorkel, no room in our suitcases, unless we add another one. The problem this time is that we are taking 3 extra suitcases (which we'll be checking), but our carry-on stuff includes 1 roll aboard suitcase and 2 carry-on bags plus the snorkel stuff (X 2). That's a lot of carry-ons, more than usual, but we're taking suitcases that will be dropped off in Kauai (previous thread about this if you're interested).

If you are taking an excursion like a sail/snorkel, you can leave the fins at home. They weigh a lot and your excursion will provide you with them. I always take my full face mask/snorkel, which I really like, BTW. Have a great time !!

When bringing our snorkel gear we pack it in a 24" bag that we check with the airlines. The fins are pretty big, and take up about half the bag. We keep a prescription mask in a plastic box that it came in to avoid breakage.

The only time we've had any damage to a mask was ashore, post snorkel.

having our own snorkel gear allows us to go to a beach and snorkel on our own.

I will usually put my suit and shoes for formal night in the same bag. As long as we're checking a bag we might as well put some bulky shoes in it.

We always brought our dive gear in a backpack dive bag. The only problem encountered was that we had packed our dive knives and even though it was checked baggage, I had to go down to Security after boarding and remove the knives. They gave me a receipt and said I could retrieve them for our dive excursions but had to give them back when we returned. I didn't mind doing that even though I thought is was funny since I was going to go to the Crown Grill for dinner that night and they were going to give me a six inch steak knife to use during my meal. Go figure.

We always check our snorkel stuff. Never had a problem.

Wow! That’s a lot of luggage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always check our snorkel stuff. Never had a problem.

Wow! That’s a lot of luggage!

Yeah...it's ridiculous. We usually have 1 suitcase and a carry-on, but we just moved to HI and want to take over a bunch of "household" items rather than shipping them. Already had the cruise booked, so decided to use Princess to get some of our extras over there instead of shipping or buying new. Don't need more stuff!!!;p

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546117

Yeah...it's ridiculous. We usually have 1 suitcase and a carry-on, but we just moved to HI and want to take over a bunch of "household" items rather than shipping them. Already had the cruise booked, so decided to use Princess to get some of our extras over there instead of shipping or buying new. Don't need more stuff!!!;p

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546117

What a great idea! Have a wonderful

cruise! I’m so jealous.... living in Hawaii!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums