Bringing your own wine on board?

mnovak61

I know the policy is 2 750ml bottles per stateroom but my question is how does everybody pack their bottles for the trip? We are flying in to MIA so I would assume they would have to go in my checked luggage. Any tips on getting this done safely?

I know the policy is 2 750ml bottles per stateroom but my question is how does everybody pack their bottles for the trip? We are flying in to MIA so I would assume they would have to go in my checked luggage. Any tips on getting this done safely?

Check out Wine Diapers on Amazon.

They have bags specially made for flying with wine. It can carry as much as a full bottle if broken. I wrap wine in that, then wrap them in a towel. For this situation, you could also buy in the airport duty free and carry it on the plane, or my #1 suggestion, buy it when you get to Miami. Save the hassle and concern.

They have bags specially made for flying with wine. It can carry as much as a full bottle if broken. I wrap wine in that, then wrap them in a towel. For this situation, you could also buy in the airport duty free and carry it on the plane, or my #1 suggestion, buy it when you get to Miami. Save the hassle and concern.

Where would I buy it duty free? In MIA? Do you know of any big liquor stores on the way to Port Everglades?

Where would I buy it duty free? In MIA? Do you know of any big liquor stores on the way to Port Everglades?

Isn't all airport liquor/wine duty free (sorry, I haven't lived in the States for a while. It's always duty free in other countries (it's also duty free on the ships once they leave the port)) Where will you going to Port Everglades from?

1 additional question. We will have to switch the bottles to a carry on bag to take them on the ship, correct?

No, you can leave the bottles in checked bags. However, your bag may be delayed in security because they need to confirm the contents.

Isn't all airport liquor/wine duty free (sorry, I haven't lived in the States for a while. It's always duty free in other countries (it's also duty free on the ships once they leave the port)) Where will you going to Port Everglades from?

No, and it is not so in most other countries.

It used to be you had to have an international boarding pass to even go into duty free. But no longer. But unless you flight is going international (and in Europe, outside the EU) you pay a higher price with duty. You will ALWAYS have to show your boarding pass when you make your purchase in duty free.

Some airports now have an arrival duty free, that you can buy when entering the country.

On ships it is duty free at see, as they are not under any countries duty jurisdiction, and you are going international.

I've always packed my 2nbottles in my big piece of luggage, I just wrap it with some our cloth and have never had a problem. Cheers!

Wine bottles are pretty tough.

I travel a lot internationally, and have purchased a fare number of bottles of various potables all over the world. Hundreds.

I put them in the middle of the suitcase (not by sides or corners), and wrapped with something like T-shirts.

I have lost 2 bottles over the years. One was in the corner, and they dropped the bag on that corner. The other, I have no idea what happened, but when I opened my bag, out wafted this marvelous cognac aroma. :D

Duty free would only be good for leaving the US and buying after clearing security. You can't purchase duty fee at MIA and then walk out to the street.

Can two people check-in apart and get two bottles each. Good question, but I doubt it. I guess if you each had a separate Set Sail pass it might work.

Two weeks ago I had two bottles in my backpack. It went through the scanner and never got checked. However, two years ago on a "Spring Break" cruise they sent me to secondary and they inspected the foil to make sure it hadn't been refilled with something else.

There are liquior stores all over the place on your way to the port.

Spring Break is special. :)

I am sure you could both go through security separately with 2 bottles each. And probably even put a couple of bottles in your checked bags also. I have never seen them take down any cabin info.

Of course, you will be ROUNDLY chastised here in CC for even THINKING about doing this. :D

If you all are saying the bottle can go in checked luggage does this mean we dont pay a corking fee prior to getting on the ship as we do with NCL?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do they ask you at any point when embarking if you have wine?

It does not happen all the time, but we've been directed to a table where they write down our stateroom number and number of bottles of wine. This happened at Port Everglades twice.

If you all are saying the bottle can go in checked luggage does this mean we dont pay a corking fee prior to getting on the ship as we do with NCL?

Thanks.

On Royal, you are only subject to the corkage fee if you consume the bottle in a public venue.

I’ve got a couple of questions if anyone knows: (Embarking from Port Everglades) What is the worst that would happen if, say, one were to have 2 bottles of wine in checked luggage as well as 2 bottles of wine in a carry on and all was discovered? Would they confiscate 2 bottles of wine, all 4 bottles of wine, or much worse...deny boarding? My favorite wine is actually pretty cheap and from Wal-Mart LOL, so it really wouldn’t be a big deal to have it confiscated. Attempting to bring 2 more bottles would definitely not be worth risking a fine or not being allowed to board, though!

I’ve got a couple of questions if anyone knows: (Embarking from Port Everglades) What is the worst that would happen if, say, one were to have 2 bottles of wine in checked luggage as well as 2 bottles of wine in a carry on and all was discovered? Would they confiscate 2 bottles of wine, all 4 bottles of wine, or much worse...deny boarding? My favorite wine is actually pretty cheap and from Wal-Mart LOL, so it really wouldn’t be a big deal to have it confiscated. Attempting to bring 2 more bottles would definitely not be worth risking a fine or not being allowed to board, though!

I thing denied boarding would be extremely unlikely. If they find too much wine, they would either confiscate the excess or keep it until the cruise was over.