Bringing your own wine on board?

mnovak61

I thing denied boarding would be extremely unlikely. If they find too much wine, they would either confiscate the excess or keep it until the cruise was over.

Of course I’d prefer to have the wine, but I would be fine with either of those scenarios. Thanks for your reply!

We boarded in Cape Canaveral with 2 bottles in checked luggage and 2 bottles in carry on. We are a family of 6 in a single FOV room.

The only issue is we had to go down to the naughty room. They opened the bag, checked to make sure it was wine bottles. Then let us go back with our bag and wine.

Worst case they hold it until after the cruise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Of course I’d prefer to have the wine, but I would be fine with either of those scenarios. Thanks for your reply!

I don’t know if I would even have the guts to try this. IF I were to try it, I would be completely honest if asked how many bottles we have.

Oooo.... The “naughty room”. :') It’s just my hubby and I and we aren’t big drinkers. I’m not sure if we’ll try this or not. Two bottles might be plenty for us, but I was just curious how risky 4 bottles could be if we are brave enough. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it!

We boarded in Cape Canaveral with 2 bottles in checked luggage and 2 bottles in carry on. We are a family of 6 in a single FOV room.

The only issue is we had to go down to the naughty room. They opened the bag, checked to make sure it was wine bottles. Then let us go back with our bag and wine.

Worst case they hold it until after the cruise.

Edited by RVSeaLover
deleted an extra “I”

Oooo.... The “naughty room”. :') It’s just my hubby and I and we aren’t big drinkers. I’m not sure if we’ll try this or not. Two bottles might be plenty for us, but I was just curious how risky 4 bottles could be if we are brave enough. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it!
There was a caveat to this that I did not mention. When we went to drop off our luggage the first time the porter asked if there was alcohol in the checked bag. We were honest and said yes. He said he wouldn't be able to take it. So I dropped the other luggage, wife and kids and took the one bag with me to park the car. I brought that single bag with me and checked it the 2nd time and wasn't asked (different porter) about the alcohol.

Honestly we struggled to get through the 3rd bottle of wine. We are not big drinkers either, I just thought a bottle of wine at dinner for 4 nights.

We shared a bit of it which made it fun but I ended up buying a few other drinks that are more to my taste than wine (bourbon and beer).

If I could bring a six pack of bottled IPA, that would do me just fine for the week and I wouldn't need the wine.

-Sean

There was a caveat to this that I did not mention. When we went to drop off our luggage the first time the porter asked if there was alcohol in the checked bag. ...

I think in this context the porter was asking if there was prohibited alcohol in the bag, i.e, beer or spirits. RC does not prohibit wine in checked bags.

I think in this context the porter was asking if there was prohibited alcohol in the bag, i.e, beer or spirits. RC does not prohibit wine in checked bags.
We did specifically tell him we had wine bottles and he said they would not allow them in checked bags because they could break.

This was in 2015 in Cape Canaveral.

It's the true Royal Caribbean experience. Ask 3 people get 3 different answers :)

-Sean

We did specifically tell him we had wine bottles and he said they would not allow them in checked bags because they could break.

This was in 2015 in Cape Canaveral.

It's the true Royal Caribbean experience. Ask 3 people get 3 different answers :)

-Sean

I don't know what it is about Port Canaveral, but they won't take obvious cases of water either.

On Royal, you are only subject to the corkage fee if you consume the bottle in a public venue.

Thank you very much. We will make sure we have a wine opener. We all will be getting the alcohol package, with the exception of my mom who doesn't drink much, only champagne and wine, and will have my two little nephews in her cabin. We have four cabins, so figured each cabin will bring on two bottles of wine so my mom (and us when we want it) will have 8 bottles.

I would feel much better taking in a carryon and happy that we don't have to pay a corking fee.

I've never tried to bring in more than two bottles when it's just my husband and I. I always have a opener in my checked bag and just make sure to ask my room steward for wine glasses. No corkage fee.

Of course, in Barcelona, it was interesting. They were selling liquor and wine in the shops at the pier, right before they checked our passports! Basically, they were allowing folks to carry on all the alcohol they wanted! We had purchased a bottle of a special liqueur while in Barcelona and that was in our carry-on, along with water and the two bottles we purchased. Very different than any other port I've been in.

If you're worried about checking wine, I can say that these work flawlessly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M263ZZL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've flown with wine and large beer bottles and not had a problem. Of course, I also make sure they're securely set in the middle of the bag, protected by clothes, but the design would definitely contain leaks, if one happened.

I hope that helps!

Do they ask you at any point when embarking if you have wine?

I was asked by Princess at the Port of Long Beach, but I have never been asked by any employee of RCI or Celebrity in Port Everglades, Port of Miami, SJU or the port in Seattle. To me is seems to be an honor system, or if caught with too much, they will take it and give it back the last night.

I was recently on a day long tour in Nova Scotia that included a winery tour and tasting. I purchased a bottle of wine there and was surprised when security advised they had to take it and hold it until the end of the cruise, even though it was purchased on a ship's tour.

That's been standard procedure as long as I can remember.

I know the policy is 2 750ml bottles per stateroom but my question is how does everybody pack their bottles for the trip? We are flying in to MIA so I would assume they would have to go in my checked luggage. Any tips on getting this done safely?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, and it is not so in most other countries.

It used to be you had to have an international boarding pass to even go into duty free. But no longer. But unless you flight is going international (and in Europe, outside the EU) you pay a higher price with duty. You will ALWAYS have to show your boarding pass when you make your purchase in duty free.

Some airports now have an arrival duty free, that you can buy when entering the country.

On ships it is duty free at see, as they are not under any countries duty jurisdiction, and you are going international.

I always fly international. Hence... there's always duty free. And its ALWAYS cheaper then where I live. That's why we stock up b4 cruises. But they always confiscate them and give them back the last day