Dress code, booking, and weather for p&o cruises aurora

smarks

Just a word of reassurance for your husband about the dark suit, instead of dinner suit/tuxedo - more and more men have ditched the fancy dress in favour of something more comfortable and sensible, and I can assure you that he won't feel at all out of place in a dark suit.

Things are starting to change in the UK on formal dress as younger people replace the older generation, but it's going to take a little while yet before the formal nights are finally gone.

There is no difference between wearing a DJ and a suit jacket. It is not more comfortable it is the same. Not sure were you get the idea that wearing a DJ is uncomfortable.

I also agree with others 90% to 95% of men will wear a DJ. Having said that there is nothing wrong with wearing a dark suit with a bow tie or an ordinary tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no difference between wearing a DJ and a suit jacket. It is not more comfortable it is the same. Not sure were you get the idea that wearing a DJ is uncomfortable.

I also agree with others 90% to 95% of men will wear a DJ. Having said that there is nothing wrong with wearing a dark suit with a bow tie or an ordinary tie.

I think we must agree to differ. I've worn both, and I feel much more comfortable in a suit, with a normal shirt and a normal tie. I gave up the DJ a while back and will never return to it. It suits P&O to continue to foster this 'tradition' via formal nights of course, because the air of faux 'glamour' masks a multitude of sins! :)

I always wear a suit and tie.

Being in sales i have wore a suit and tie for 40+ years at work so not a problem for me to wear a suit on formal night.

I always wear a suit and tie.

Being in sales i have wore a suit and tie for 40+ years at work so not a problem for me to wear a suit on formal night.

But would you agree that wearing a DJ is just the same ie not more uncomfortable.

Not wishful thinking - more to do with reassuring somebody who asked that they won't feel remotely out of place with a dark suit. If people choose to dress up, that's fine by me - but it's a peculiarly British thing, and tends to be favoured amongst those who like to hang on to past traditions.

By all means wear a dinner suit if you choose to - but you won't feel at all out of place in a suit.

You clearly do have a problem with men wearing dinner suits else you wouldn't be snide about those that choose to wear them. The fact is that choosing to wear a dark suit rather than a dinner suit is perfectly acceptable. Whether you would be comfortable doing that when as most have stated that in excess of 90% of men wear dinner suits is a personal choice. I certainly have no problem with someone wearing a suit and nor should I.

I think we must agree to differ. I've worn both, and I feel much more comfortable in a suit, with a normal shirt and a normal tie. I gave up the DJ a while back and will never return to it. It suits P&O to continue to foster this 'tradition' via formal nights of course, because the air of faux 'glamour' masks a multitude of sins! :)

P&O continue to offer Formal nights as there are still quite a lot of us that enjoy this aspect of cruising - especially those of us that have been fortunate to have cruised for some years. Doubtless it will change over the years but I don't see them dropping it in the near future - especially on the more 'traditional' ships.

I don't know about men being more uncomfortable on formal nights, but I know I am more uncomfortable. Push up underwired bra, plus undergarments that make sure all is safely gathered in, not to mention the shoes, I am certainly glad to take them off at the end of the evening. However I wouldn't miss formal nights for the world.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

I don't know about men being more uncomfortable on formal nights, but I know I am more uncomfortable. Push up underwired bra, plus undergarments that make sure all is safely gathered in, not to mention the shoes, I am certainly glad to take them off at the end of the evening. However I wouldn't miss formal nights for the world.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

That is brilliantly said, I'm sure 99% of women will agree with you. At least the men don't have the faff of thinking what to wear. Shirt, dickie and suit and away to go!! :')

That is brilliantly said, I'm sure 99% of women will agree with you. At least the men don't have the faff of thinking what to wear. Shirt, dickie and suit and away to go!! :')

We do have it easy and don't some of us do some amount of moaning over it?

Just a word of reassurance for your husband about the dark suit, instead of dinner suit/tuxedo - more and more men have ditched the fancy dress in favour of something more comfortable and sensible, and I can assure you that he won't feel at all out of place in a dark suit.

Things are starting to change in the UK on formal dress as younger people replace the older generation, but it's going to take a little while yet before the formal nights are finally gone.

Thank You docco for the information. He will be glad to hear that.

I for the life of me don't know how a man can put something around their necks that seem so tight. I have to give it to the men on this one. Women do have to go a little further by tucking stuff in, putting on a face and walking in 6 in. heals, but men have to choke themselves. Glad I'm a woman in this case. Sorry I just had to throw that in.

I for the life of me don't know how a man can put something around their necks that seem so tight. I have to give it to the men on this one. Women do have to go a little further by tucking stuff in, putting on a face and walking in 6 in. heals, but men have to choke themselves. Glad I'm a woman in this case. Sorry I just had to throw that in.

I really don't get that. A tie or bowtie around your neck shouldn't be tight. All men need to do is have their neck measured properly and know how to tie a tie properly. You really can't comfortably fit a 17" neck into a 16" collar. Its not rocket science.

Thank you Andrew for the information. We always try to dress appropriately. We have never been required to wear a ball gown or a tux. So glad to hear it's not required. Dress clothes are easier to pack. I'm just hoping Cunard doens't require gowns and tuxes. Thanks for the tip on the weather since we will be there in May. So layers it will be.

I have sailed P&O and Cunard and cocktail type dresses etc. are good for formal on both lines, Evening Gowns are not specifically required. A Dark Suit will be acceptable on both lines too for Black-Tie nights, however on Cunard I seem to recall wearing a proper jacket every night and a neck tie is advisable to take. Most nights on P&O shirt sleeve order will be fine.

P&O allow you to sign for cash at the pursers desk, Reception, it is regarded as just another transaction to add to your cruise bill. It is not regarded as a "cash withdrawal" by your credit card company, which would then attract a higher interest rate by them as they do not get told that you withdrew cash. I know they have sterling and Euros behind the counter but nt sure if they do the other currencies like say Swedish Kroner. Your final bill is in Sterling and assuming you bank in US Dollars there will be one currency conversion charge at the end of the cruise. Note that if you draw Euros and any non-Sterling currencies you get two currency conversion charges as one charge is made as part of that transaction and then the final charge when you get presented with your total cruise account in Sterling which your bank settles in US Dollars. It is prudent to try and get non-Sterling currencies needed before you travel.

As an aside all the theatres on all Cunard ships have Private Boxes including a Royal Box on at least one ship. You can watch afternoon films and lectures from your own private box free of charge if you go to the higher deck and simply occupy one. Not many people know this.

Regards John

Hi, Just want to add a voice of reason, dark suits are fine and more people are choosing this option. If you wanted to wear a dinner suit (cheap at Matalan) but don’t like bow ties M&S do a tasteful tie with a bit of sparkle on it, in grey and black - a great half-way. My husband often chooses to wear this.

I do wear black jeans in smart casual nights and my husband dark blue.

Have a great cruise and relax :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't get that. A tie or bowtie around your neck shouldn't be tight. All men need to do is have their neck measured properly and know how to tie a tie properly. You really can't comfortably fit a 17" neck into a 16" collar. Its not rocket science.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I personally hate things around my neck, tight or not. It is just my personal feelings. I think a man looks sharp in a suit and tie. Guess I was just stating that it's a good thing I am not a man. I couldn't wear one.