What would you do? Oasis Kids Sail Free NRD

We just got off the 10/15 Oasis where we booked onboard for next year, 10/21/18. This was our first cruise with our kids (7th and 8th cruise for the both of us, 4th time on Oasis), and our first experience with the new Next Cruise booking policies and the non-refundable deposit rates (more on that later; planning to do a separate review, but let me say I am quite disappointed with the new Next Cruise changes compared to the past policies). It was slightly financially advantageous to take advantage of the non-refundable deposit rate plus the WOW OBC that was being offered with it.

HOWEVER, we do no know yet whether we want to take the kids on this next cruise (then 5 and 3). Because KSF is going on through the end of the month right now, and our uncertainty, we booked one kid in the room to secure a Pullman room and figured we'd buy ourselves a little time (a week, ha!) to think about adding the other kid. Though we received conflicting info from the Next Cruise staff, they said the $100 change fee (for the NRD rate) does not apply for 3rd and 4th passengers to remove them. So: would you add the other kid right now with KSF going on and trust the staff member was accurate that there is no change fee to take 3rd and 4th passenger off prior to final payment? Or hope for another KSF in the coming months (it seems like it's running once a quarter at least right now) if we do decide to take the kids and add the fourth passenger later? (Hope this makes sense, because I was a bit confused myself with all the policy changes.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Clarea, thank you for your quick response. I wasn't thinking about the muster station; very good point.

Do you know if the (second) staff member was correct that there is no change fee on 3rd and 4th if we do decide to drop them later? And would that affect our room selection, if we removed them? (Currently booked one of the few rooms with a Pullman, because our oldest absolutely loved it.)

Clarea, thank you for your quick response. I wasn't thinking about the muster station; very good point.

Do you know if the (second) staff member was correct that there is no change fee on 3rd and 4th if we do decide to drop them later? And would that affect our room selection, if we removed them? (Currently booked one of the few rooms with a Pullman, because our oldest absolutely loved it.)

Sorry, I don't know for sure how the NRD rules apply to 3/4 guests. With the old rules, you could cancel the 3/4 guests up to 2 weeks before the cruise for a full refund, but I don't know if this still applies to an NRD booking. Maybe Ken will see this and contribute.

Sorry, I don't know for sure how the NRD rules apply to 3/4 guests. With the old rules, you could cancel the 3/4 guests up to 2 weeks before the cruise for a full refund, but I don't know if this still applies to an NRD booking. Maybe Ken will see this and contribute.

I saw this earlier but was hesitant to reply as I don't know for sure however all the same conditions still seem to apply so I'm assuming that the cancellation policies for 3/4 guests resin the same with no cancellation fee for 3/4 guests up to 2 weeks prior to sailing.

Thinking back now I seem to remember a post with someone cancelling a quad cabin prior to final payment and being charged the $100pp fee and having the FCC issued in each individual's name.

As much as I hate to recommend this action I would call (perhaps more than once) and get an answer from Royal.

... As much as I hate to recommend this action I would call (perhaps more than once) and get an answer from Royal.

I agree, and would call C&A rather than the regular customer service number.

I agree, and would call C&A rather than the regular customer service number.

Are there actual deposits involved with the KSF promo? Ours were too old and in their own rooms once these started appearing so we never got to take advantage of them.

Funny that you mentioned to call C&A. I'm not sure if it's the times that I typically call or what but ever since they moved some of the operations to Guatamala every time I call C&A I get someone in Guatamala. I have reverted to using the regular line and get someone from the US who has been very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm sure it's just been luck which now that I mentioned this will run out on my next call.

Are there actual deposits involved with the KSF promo? Ours were too old and in their own rooms once these started appearing so we never got to take advantage of them.

Funny that you mentioned to call C&A. I'm not sure if it's the times that I typically call or what but ever since they moved some of the operations to Guatamala every time I call C&A I get someone in Guatamala. I have reverted to using the regular line and get someone from the US who has been very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm sure it's just been luck which now that I mentioned this will run out on my next call.

I've not had the pleasure of reaching the Guatemala call center yet, haven't had any reason to call for a long while.

I don't know if there are deposits for KSF. Seems like there would be none, but this is Royal we're talking about.

Indeed, there ARE deposits for each of the kids under KSF at $250 a piece, which doesn't really make much sense to me, when each of their totals are $110 in port taxes and fees. Although, we'd have to pay that eventually, of course, but requiring a $250 deposit on a "free" fare does seem contradictory to me.

I saw this earlier but was hesitant to reply as I don't know for sure however all the same conditions still seem to apply so I'm assuming that the cancellation policies for 3/4 guests resin the same with no cancellation fee for 3/4 guests up to 2 weeks prior to sailing.

Thinking back now I seem to remember a post with someone cancelling a quad cabin prior to final payment and being charged the $100pp fee and having the FCC issued in each individual's name.

As much as I hate to recommend this action I would call (perhaps more than once) and get an answer from Royal.

Hmmm, this is the kind of info that makes me nervous (regarding canceling 3rd and 4th if we decide a few months from now that we can secure childcare and just take an adults-only cruise). Of course, we didn't have to choose the NRD rate, but it's the conflicting info that gets me. Will C&A deal with my question if our on-board booking went right to our TA? Have not booked directly w/Royal for years.

Hmmm, this is the kind of info that makes me nervous (regarding canceling 3rd and 4th if we decide a few months from now that we can secure childcare and just take an adults-only cruise). Of course, we didn't have to choose the NRD rate, but it's the conflicting info that gets me. Will C&A deal with my question if our on-board booking went right to our TA? Have not booked directly w/Royal for years.

C&A will answer general questions about booking rules.

Thanks! I will call. When I get a clear answer, I will post here for others who may be wondering about a similar situation under the new NRD rate rules. I have a 30-day grace period to make changes without the $100 pp change fee regardless, which was like one of the only benefits of booking onboard. [emoji12]

Same here and I have very good luck very early in the morning, when most of America is asleep:)

We booked on board, got 325 on board credit, plus another 70 from out TA (Costco). Quite a deal versus a comparable package of 6500 for a summer balcony on the Harmony, so basically one third off price for off peak. We did have to pay 250 per person. It's "free" in the sense that they discount the cost of the fare of the 3rd and 4th off the entire fare. Consider it a discount for 3rd and 4th rather than "free" since you do pay taxes for the kids.

We went for the guarantee balcony which saved us an additional $400. Count me in as one of the few who like their new policy of non-refundable fare for a substantial discount.

I think the problem that you may not have thought about is the room may not accomadate 4 people. Some rooms only accomadate 3. So you may not even be able to add the 4th person to that room. Plus since the wow sale is now over you will possibly lose the onboard credit that was included for that sale.

I think the problem that you may not have thought about is the room may not accomadate 4 people. Some rooms only accomadate 3. So you may not even be able to add the 4th person to that room. Plus since the wow sale is now over you will possibly lose the onboard credit that was included for that sale.

I specifically booked a room that accommodates 5 with a Pullman, so I am set there when it comes to adding a fourth. But, as Bob said, I should give consideration to the muster station "filling" up and whether a person could be added to that station if we waited to add the fourth.

I don't see how ADDING a fourth this week would affect my WOW OBC?

What do you mean "reserve space in the muster station"? Is it a joke I am just not getting, or is it something new I could learn? Thanks!:o

A muster station can only hold so many people. It typically can hold the first two guests in every stateroom in that section, and some of the 3/4 guests. So it's possible a muster station can reach it's limit of 3/4 guests.

What do you mean "reserve space in the muster station"? Is it a joke I am just not getting, or is it something new I could learn? Thanks!:o

It's important to note that as a ship fills, there is a specific number of spaces in the lifeboat/muster station. In each station, they are made up of both double, triple and quad occupancy cabins. If a specific station gets to a certain point, the cruiseline can limit the number of additional passengers booking into that area, which means that even if you have a quad occupancy cabin with 2 individuals booked, and your cabin can hold 2 more, you wouldn't be able to book them, since the line was limiting all new bookings to only double occupancy.

So, usually if you think you're going to book your kids (or 2 others in a quad cabin), it's been best to book them in, and then cancel them later, since there has not been any penalty to cancel third/fourth individuals off a booking up until 2 weeks before sailing.

Many have booked larger than double cabins, and then when they went to add the third or fourth person, found that the muster station was at maximum and no additional passengers could be booked into their cabin.

I hope that this makes sense.

ETA: Of course Bob got there first!!!

It's important to note that as a ship fills, there is a specific number of spaces in the lifeboat/muster station. In each station, they are made up of both double, triple and quad occupancy cabins. If a specific station gets to a certain point, the cruiseline can limit the number of additional passengers booking into that area, which means that even if you have a quad occupancy cabin with 2 individuals booked, and your cabin can hold 2 more, you wouldn't be able to book them, since the line was limiting all new bookings to only double occupancy.

So, usually if you think you're going to book your kids (or 2 others in a quad cabin), it's been best to book them in, and then cancel them later, since there has not been any penalty to cancel third/fourth individuals off a booking up until 2 weeks before sailing.

Many have booked larger than double cabins, and then when they went to add the third or fourth person, found that the muster station was at maximum and no additional passengers could be booked into their cabin.

I hope that this makes sense.

ETA: Of course Bob got there first!!!

But the canceling the kids w/o penalty is the issue in question right now under the new NRD rates, since I received conflicting info from different Next Cruise staff members. The first said the $100 pp change fee applied; the second (who we booked with) said no, that was wrong, no change fee on 3rd and 4th if we drop them later HOWEVER it *could* affect our OBC by removing them later.

I will be calling later today.

But the canceling the kids w/o penalty is the issue in question right now under the new NRD rates, since I received conflicting info from different Next Cruise staff members. The first said the $100 pp change fee applied; the second (who we booked with) said no, that was wrong, no change fee on 3rd and 4th if we drop them later HOWEVER it *could* affect our OBC by removing them later.

I will be calling later today.

I'm pretty sure the $100 applies to all passengers. It's not technically "free" but a discount off the entire fare.

So, I called C&A twice, speaking to two different agents, and here is the scoop:

LISTEN UP, BECAUSE THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE on canceling 3rd and 4th passenger from the past:

If we were to cancel the kids (3rd and 4th passenger) under our NRD rate, they would hold our $250 deposit on each child (so $500) toward a future cruise credit, minus a $100 pp change fee (so $300 in FCC that is non-transferable if this scenario were to happen). Even though I am booking under KSF and their total "cost" is $111 in port fees and taxes. (The first agent admitted that it doesn't really make sense, but said that was the policy.)

However, because we booked onboard, we have a 30-day grace period to make changes to 3rd and 4th passengers w/o penalty.

Both Next Cruise staff members I spoke to on Oasis gave me WRONG information on this, and I expressed my disappointment with that in my calls to C&A.

So parents (or others with 3rd/4th passengers in the room), please be aware of this change in past policy when booking the NRD rate. You can NO LONGER cancel 3rd/4th up to two weeks before sailing w/o penalty if booking under this rate.

So, I called C&A twice, speaking to two different agents, and here is the scoop:

LISTEN UP, BECAUSE THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE on canceling 3rd and 4th passenger from the past:

If we were to cancel the kids (3rd and 4th passenger) under our NRD rate, they would hold our $250 deposit on each child (so $500) toward a future cruise credit, minus a $100 pp change fee (so $300 in FCC that is non-transferable if this scenario were to happen). Even though I am booking under KSF and their total "cost" is $111 in port fees and taxes. (The first agent admitted that it doesn't really make sense, but said that was the policy.)

However, because we booked onboard, we have a 30-day grace period to make changes to 3rd and 4th passengers w/o penalty.

Both Next Cruise staff members I spoke to on Oasis gave me WRONG information on this, and I expressed my disappointment with that in my calls to C&A.

So parents (or others with 3rd/4th passengers in the room), please be aware of this change in past policy when booking the NRD rate. You can NO LONGER cancel 3rd/4th up to two weeks before sailing w/o penalty if booking under this rate.

Good to know, thanks for posting.

I'm still confused about this and the KSF promo though. While on paper it may seem like they have made a deposit in reality after final payment the total price is what you have paid and the kids are actually free. I can see them withholding the $100pp out if the taxes and issuing the balance ($11) as a FCC but it's not like they can ask you for more money.

As someone else suggested they could also be a no show at the pier which would result in a worst case scenario of not having the port fees and taxes refunded.

Good to know, thanks for posting.

I'm still confused about this and the KSF promo though. While on paper it may seem like they have made a deposit in reality after final payment the total price is what you have paid and the kids are actually free. I can see them withholding the $100pp out if the taxes and issuing the balance ($11) as a FCC but it's not like they can ask you for more money.

As someone else suggested they could also be a no show at the pier which would result in a worst case scenario of not having the port fees and taxes refunded.

Admittedly, I am still confused too. I even said to the agent, so if I dropped my kids off the reservation after the grace period, and would "lose" each of their $250 deposits for that cruise (which their deposits alone under this rate for KSF is new; for our 10/15 Oasis, also booked under KSF earlier this year, they did not charge us ANY deposit for the kids), then I would be out MORE than their actual cost ($111 each) for the cruise--how does that make sense? He said it would probably be more beneficial for me to drop them now under the grace period, if we are uncertain about them joining us, then add them later in a future KSF if we do indeed decide to take them.

So so confusing.