Is airplane mode the only thing you need to turn off when boarding a ship?

Galleon1234

Airplane Mode does turn off Cellular Data. We’re just extra cautious. We turn off both Cellular Data and turn on Airplane Mode. We turn off Cellular Data just in case Airplane Mode gets turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question in relation to this. Usually I just leave airplane mode on for the entire cruise, but have always been worried about incurring charges when turning it off to try to connect to wifi in one of the ports. What should be done to connect to a network without incurring roaming or cellular charges?

I have a question in relation to this. Usually I just leave airplane mode on for the entire cruise, but have always been worried about incurring charges when turning it off to try to connect to wifi in one of the ports. What should be done to connect to a network without incurring roaming or cellular charges?

There is no need to turn off airplane mode to connect to wifi. Wifi works while in airplane mode. You just look for available wifi networks.

Turn off data roaming and data completely. The number one cause for surprises. If you don't want texts or phone calls, put it in airplane mode.

Personally, I keep my phone on, but turn off the data. I want incoming texts and they are cheap. When on land/ports, I usually have an international plan on my phone, so it's a fixed price. I turn my data on when I want to use it, than turn it off. Easy.

I always turn off data and then put it in airplane mode. This way , if I want to take it out of airplane mode to make a call or text in port, I know that I won't have any unwanted data push through. It's the safest way to avoid big surprises. Even if I restart my phone, the data stays off and it wakes back up in airplane mode. You may want to test yours before you leave.

I put my phone in the safe and turn off all my troubles, because they will be waiting for me AFTER the cruise

:eek::cool::eek:

This!! Usually the only time I take my phone out of the safe is if we are at a U.S. port, such as San Juan, St. Thomas, etc. Otherwise, phone is off, data roaming is turned off, airplane mode is on - even when in safe!

For me, my T-Mobile plan includes the Caribbean and Mexico anyway - so it wouldn't matter if I turn airplane mode off in a port. They include this in their unlimited plan (and maybe others but I have no experience there - always just had unlimited). And it's still cheaper than I was paying at Verizon.

I will connect to cell towers if they are there and it is the same as if I turned my phone on at home. It's rarely better than a 3g connection and more often just 2g but it works for a quick text to home and doesn't cost me a penny more. Not every carrier does this though so check and see what your plan includes.

So, to sum up - Turn airplane mode on to turn off all data and wifi.

Go back into your settings and turn WiFi back on to connect to ship's wifi (or bar wifi in ports if they have it).

If you land in a port and turn off your airplane mode, everything comes back on SO either have a plan that includes where you are OR make sure data roaming is turned off if you do not want to connect to cell towers in ports and incur data roaming charges.

Of course, your phone may have a different process for turning all these things on and off but, in general, Airplane turns off everything and you can also turn things on and off individually.

Maybe it's just me, but when I go on a cruise I am on vacation. I am constantly on call at work and the last thing I want to do is haul my cell phone around on vacation. Turn it off and put it in the safe.

While I totally understand this, not everyone is able to lock away their phones. Some of us need to continue to have contact with others at home because of children, jobs, etc. As for me, I read books constantly on my iPhone 6plus or my Kindle (depending on which one I remember to charge) so when using my phone to read or download books this is useful information to have.

When we went on an Alaskan cruise, we sat down with a couple and the wife said she worked for Verizon. I said you must get a good deal on your phone bill. She said she hoped so because she racked up some serious charges talking to her family back home. We were in international waters between Vancouver and Ketchikan Oops!

With our iPhones, we turn the airplane mode on, turn off the WiFi, and turn off data roaming. Then we turn on Bluetooth so the phone and iWatch continue to work together!

We also go to Settings/General/Date and Time to set the clock on manual so we can keep our iWatch and phone on "ship's time" throughout the cruise.

We have both an AT&T and a Verizon phone.

For Internet connections when in ports around the world, we connect through a Verizon Wireless 'Jetpack' that is set up for international travels.

We only use the ship's internet when it is provided free (and that is only usable sea).