Making Sprint calls at sea

I have a standard Sprint plan and an iPhone.

If I want to make a call, will my phone automatically connect to the ship's system (with the understanding that some kind of roaming charges will apply?)

If not, what steps does a Sprint user need to make calls to/from the ship? I'm on the Breakaway this Sunday, but will need to have phone access during the trip.

Yes, if you are in range of any cellular network and leave cellular roaming on it will automatically connect. Make sure you turn data roaming off.

If you plan on making several calls you may be better off with an internet plan and WiFi calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be much more cost effective to get an internet package and use a voice of ip service like Skype.

Maybe. Depends on the situation. We often leave our phone turned on and can receive calls at anytime. Might get a couple and waste $10-$20, but at least folks can get us 24/7 if needed.

As said, #1 Rule - TURN OFF DATA ROAMING. You can blow through hundreds of dollars and not even know it with background stuff running.

As said, it will $2.99 a minute for calls.

Sprint has more than 1 standard plan, best to speak and check with customer care/611 on your dial - reconfirm that you have international roaming for calls/text enabled (unlikely, but possibly turned off, i.e. corporate/business lines)

Your iPhone should be updated/running at least 9.x or 10.x iOS for best results. Data saver options should be on to disable background/system updates, as those would burn roaming data if not turned off, at $$$ - at $100 for 100 MB outside your "home" area at sea & in foreign ports.

Our friends with Sprint services had enrolled in an optional international or global add-on while away, ask CSR about it. But, their data speed is miserable at 2G roaming speed, not very usable for most Apps these days beyond basic email, maps & web browsing.

Looks like there's a few CC'er sailing tomorrow on the BA but not on the Roll Call nor planning to be at the M&M.

We have Sprint and use their free service called Sprint over wifi. We always sign up for ship wifi, put the phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi. The service is good and you can use it anytime you are connected to wifi. Not all Sprint phone have this ability, we have an iphone 6 so we know it works with it. Other providers have the same service.