Iceland Will I

zoomer1956

Hi Guys

We're thinking of cruising The Zuiderdam July 7 2018, going to Norway / Iceland / Faroe and Shetland Islands. I guess being on the port side (for Iceland) is the way to go. I checked online and unfortunately, there isn't very much choice left for verandas on the port side. Any advantages being on the starboard side? Maybe see a whale or two? I know Norway will be awesome, just not sure of Iceland. I'd like to hear your opinions. First time I'm stuck on booking a cabin.

Looking forward to your responses

Hoping to book this week

Lynn

Side will make no difference. When you are sailing, you will be too far from land to see it, and whales likely to be on either side (if any). And it may be too cold to spend much time on the balcony. Visiting the fjords, you go in - and back out - retracing your route, so what you missed going in, you see coming out. Same with Norway. EM

Side will make no difference. When you are sailing, you will be too far from land to see it, and whales likely to be on either side (if any). And it may be too cold to spend much time on the balcony. Visiting the fjords, you go in - and back out - retracing your route, so what you missed going in, you see coming out. Same with Norway. EM

I agree with EM. But if you you’d really prefer port side, remember you're still months away from sailing, and room availability changes.

You can also call HAL directly, as there are usually rooms that are not shown online as available.

Karen

I don't remember any reason to be one side or the other on that cruise, but know ahead the cruise is AWESOME! Some of my favorite ports! We did take rain pants and used them (both for warmth and rain) in most the ports. Loved Shetlands...Jarlshof and Sumburgh Head were great...previous cruises have done Faroes which we love (get out of town on an excursion for sure) and several ports in Iceland. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Lrj3q5/i-BFbmk7d/A

Hi Guys

We're thinking of cruising The Zuiderdam July 7 2018, going to Norway / Iceland / Faroe and Shetland Islands. I guess being on the port side (for Iceland) is the way to go. I checked online and unfortunately, there isn't very much choice left for verandas on the port side. Any advantages being on the starboard side? Maybe see a whale or two? I know Norway will be awesome, just not sure of Iceland. I'd like to hear your opinions. First time I'm stuck on booking a cabin.

Looking forward to your responses

Hoping to book this week

Lynn

Either side is good. I did a similar sailing in July 2016 and I love Iceland (especially Akureyri) and will be going back this August. The Shetland Islands are also beautiful and the lush green countryside. I never saw a whale in any of our ports, including Norway and Greenland.

I don't remember any reason to be one side or the other on that cruise, but know ahead the cruise is AWESOME! Some of my favorite ports! We did take rain pants and used them (both for warmth and rain) in most the ports. Loved Shetlands...Jarlshof and Sumburgh Head were great...previous cruises have done Faroes which we love (get out of town on an excursion for sure) and several ports in Iceland. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Lrj3q5/i-BFbmk7d/A

Your photo gallery is fantastic! Brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing :)

When the ship is going between ports, it usually stays well away from land, and so you don't necessarily get a wonderful view on the land side. On transatlantics, I book the "north" side (port eastbound, starboard westbound) because I prefer my verandah to be on the shady side.