Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Good Morning Coolers.

The PC is now finally all up and running and I have over-indulged with all gizmos and gadgets for all games ie flying, racing ... and too many pinball tables ..... and an overdose of graphics and art, and image and movie making and far too much software most of which I'm sure will not be used. A new toy to distract I hope. :)

Good luck for the 16th Lois.

Hi, thanks for the link:)..........I just found out I have to have surgery so this trip will have to be postponed. I may end up going on a Caribbean Cruise but right now I am not traveling to Europe.

Good luck to Lois with her upcoming surgery procedure. AND, in figuring out an alternative "escape/adventure" for March or later. Fortunately being in Jacksonville, you are close and accessible to a number of different options and warm or interesting options.

Lots of other good discussions on the boards here. Sorry, closet re-organizing is not as much my personal "thing". Good luck, however, to those tackling those duties. Yes, it's still very cold here in the Midwest. See below!! Not good for outdoor fun or activities. BUT, things do look good with the snow on the ground. And in the next two weeks, things will be getting warmer and more reasonable here and in many other parts of the U.S.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 192,879 views for this posting.

From AccuWeather, here is our current forecast in central Ohio.:

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-06%20at%207.45.02%20AM_zpsz8d8tgrh.png

I hate moving. After six years in an apartment in China (where it's currently -4 C and snowing), I'm retiring and flying to Vietnam on the 31st. I have a resort booked for the first four weeks on Phu Quoc to lounge by the pool and palm-fringed beach (where it's currently 27 C). :D I'll look for a condo/apartment/bungalow to rent (must have a 'great': kitchen and bathroom - I've been deprived of those in China). If I can't find anything suitable on the island, I'm moving on to Vung Tau. The trouble is, I have to pack my whole life into: one checked (23 kg) bag, one checked garment bag (that I'll have to pay extra for), one (5 kg) carry-on... and my laptop computer bag.

I've found out a tux is not required on my Silver Cloud Expedition cruise. I'll just take my regular suit

YES, Bill, I super love your "regular suit". Looks great!! And very "special". On the Silver Cloud if you wear that one, your waiters will not forget you. Very impressive . . . AND FUN!!

Earlier you mentioned, as shown above, about your retirement and move from China to Vietnam. Saw that you are looking to locate at or near Vung Tau, about an hour or so from Ho Chi Minh City. . Am I correct to guess that you have had some decent history and/or experiences in and around Vietnam?? Looking for expertise, key tips, ideas and suggestions for Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Hue, Danang, the Mekong River, etc., in that country. We depart in two weeks for our first visit to Southeast Asia. Any "secrets" and insights to share for these areas of Vietnam, etc.? From you, Bill, or others experienced in this region? Love to get more insights and background from others.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,559 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry, thanks:)........the thing about missing work is all these sick days come off my PTO.....so basically, I am losing

a week of vacation (if that makes sense). We get a certain amount of time off.......actually I get 160 hours, which is 4

weeks. I normally use ALL of it for "vacations".......I may end up taking a week off and just not getting paid for it.

And that would be my choice......and I may end up going back on Celebrity and booking myself a suite to the Caribbean then

I go on SS in the summer (well those days are accounted for on the vacation time);).......it probably sounds a bit

confusing but I just can't believe this is a week off for health:eek:

Hi Terry, thanks:)........the thing about missing work is all these sick days come off my PTO.....so basically, I am losing a week of vacation (if that makes sense). We get a certain amount of time off.......actually I get 160 hours, which is 4 weeks. I normally use ALL of it for "vacations".......I may end up taking a week off and just not getting paid for it. I may end up going back on Celebrity and booking myself a suite to the Caribbean then I go on SS in the summer (well those days are accounted for on the vacation time);).......it probably sounds a bit confusing but I just can't believe this is a week off for health:eek:

Yes, Lois, understand how things are shifting as the "leave" for sickness, vacation, etc., is getting "blended" together into just one grouping. Plus and minus, pro/con factors involved with that shifting trend. BUT, fortunately, you have four weeks off in total. BUT, if you have major health challenges, it can complicate your active, smart and aggressive travel schedule. BUT, you will work it out. Keep us posted on your progress, Caribbean travel options being considered, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,467 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Dear Coolers,

Finally aboard the Odyssey today and I’m missing SS already. The embarkation was very disorganized and the TV is not working in our room. Of course, we don’t have a butler but the stewardess is very helpful.

The Barbados Hilton has beautiful facilities but the food offerings are limited and not as good as expected. We enjoyed the two pools, most of all.

My very best to all, especially to Lois. I’ll try to keep you informed.

Cams,

So sorry to hear that first impressions have dissapointed. I know you are a half full type of person and you'll extract maximum fun from the trip. All your friends on the cooler are looking forward to hearing from you when you can, and muchos love to Roberto.

:)

Earlier you mentioned, as shown above, about your retirement and move from China to Vietnam. Saw that you are looking to locate at or near Vung Tau, about an hour or so from Ho Chi Minh City. . Am I correct to guess that you have had some decent history and/or experiences in and around Vietnam?? Looking for expertise, key tips, ideas and suggestions for Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Hue, Danang, the Mekong River, etc., in that country. We depart in two weeks for our first visit to Southeast Asia. Any "secrets" and insights to share for these areas of Vietnam, etc.? From you, Bill, or others experienced in this region? .

I've been all over most of SE Asia by land and sea. It would help if I knew your trip and exact cruise itinerary (ports) and if you plan any pre or post-cruise land/river 'time' (how long and where?)

My time in Vietnam has been limited to the southern part of the country: Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vung Tau and Phu Quoc island.

What's your itinerary?

Dear Coolers, Finally aboard the Odyssey today and I’m missing SS already. The embarkation was very disorganized and the TV is not working in our room. Of course, we don’t have a butler but the stewardess is very helpful. The Barbados Hilton has beautiful facilities but the food offerings are limited and not as good as expected. We enjoyed the two pools, most of all.

Glad you are on your ship!! Looking forward to hearing more details about the various pluses and other factors in comparing Seabourn with other ships, aspects for the food, staff, etc. We super loved Barbados. Sorry that some offering by that large, named hotel was not up to expected standards. Keep it coming for sharing the fun from your cruise to escape the cold of the northern U.S.

Super loved so different many parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at the link of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences!":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

Greetings from Bequia!

Thanks all for your good wishes, and they have produced good results. Finally the television set is working and we can watch movies after the shows and and bar hoppings. Last night we ate at the Restaurant (MDR) and I have to say the dinner was very, very good. Tonight is formal night and we’re looking forward to it.

Our room is a V6 on the eighth floor; somewhat smaller than in SS. All is fine but the shower stall, made for midgets.

Will continue later.

I've been all over most of SE Asia by land and sea. It would help if I knew your trip and exact cruise itinerary (ports) and if you plan any pre or post-cruise land/river 'time' (how long and where?) My time in Vietnam has been limited to the southern part of the country: Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vung Tau and Phu Quoc island. What's your itinerary?

Appreciate Bill's great SE Asia experience and his follow-up interest. Our plan is not to do the more "conventional" way for exploring this part of the world. We are NOT doing a cruise ship from Hong Kong to Singapore (or in the other direction) with just short sailing stops along the coast for seeing a small sampling during one day of Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, etc. We wanted to spend more in-depth time to get a better "immersion" for both key cities and the countrysides.

OUR PLAN/SCHEDULE?: We depart in just two weeks for our first visit to this part of the world. On Jan. 22, we arrive in Hong Kong, having four days there. Then, flying to Bangkok for three days there. Next? Jan. 29-31: Ho Chi Minh City, three days here; Feb. 1-8: Depart Ho Chi Minh City for seven-day Mekong River cruise with Avalon Waterways seeing Vietnam and Cambodia, including Phnom Penh, various villages, etc.; Feb. 8-10: Siem Reap, disembarkation from river cruise and visiting Angkor Wat, etc.; Feb. 10: Fly to Hanoi, two days here; Feb. 12: Ha Long Bay, two nights cruising here; Feb. 14: Fly to Hue; Feb. 15-19: Hue, Danang, Hoi An, etc., four+ days here; Feb. 20: depart from Hong Kong back to Chicago via Cathay Pacific.

Would love, Bill, to received any and all of your tips, suggestions, etc. Or, to hear from others with experiences in these locations for their ideas, insights, loves, secrets, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 193,073 views for this posting.

Greetings from Bequia! Thanks all for your good wishes, and they have produced good results. Finally the television set is working and we can watch movies after the shows and and bar hoppings. Last night we ate at the Restaurant (MDR) and I have to say the dinner was very, very good. Tonight is formal night and we’re looking forward to it. Our room is a V6 on the eighth floor; somewhat smaller than in SS. All is fine but the shower stall, made for midgets. Will continue later.

Appreciate your updating with details from your Seabourn Caribbean adventure. Love it that you mentioned being in Bequia. We were fortunately able to visit that wonderful "peace of heaven" four years ago. Below are a couple of my visuals to share their "sunshine" for those of us in areas suffering through the cold, snow, etc. Keep it coming with more details from you nice ports and experiences on this ship.

For more on Bequia visuals and details, see:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2263989

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,737 views for these postings.

Here are two of our Bequia sailing day samples, proof for the nice weather, sunshine, fun, etc.! This first picture shows us sailing toward the main town of Port Elizabeth. The second picture is of Princess Margaret Beach. Many sources, including TripAdviser, rate this location as the "Best of the Best" for this scenic island.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Jan15SCStartA14_zpsof6lhlkj.jpg

Jan15SCStartA12_zpslsvneohv.jpg

Just came back from the gym. Very good equipment, except weights were 5 pounds and higher and I use 4 pounds. The treadmills and rowing machine were state of the art. Sorry to say most treadmills in the Spirit in our last crossing were either not working or substandard... one excellent pointer for the Whisper, it had some sort of a barre room where I could do ballet exercises.

Lunch at the Collonade was excellent. We were very pleased. There were curry offerings that we found delicious. In the Seabourn thread people have complained that food is salty; for our taste, it was very well seasoned.

We have enjoyed meeting and partaking with our roll call members. It was a real pleasant surprise to find out that an orchestra conductor who has played Roberto’s pieces is also in this cruise. There will be a lot of music parlance and I will need to also find a peer!

Cams, that is truly wonderful and made us both smile. I know that Roberto needs no validation, but too meet a fellow musician ... a conductor ... who, has immersed himself into Roberto's music and got under the skin of it, must have really been a lovely moment to savour. :)

And good to hear the curry was good!

Terry,

Here are my recommendations:

On Jan. 22, we arrive in Hong Kong, having four days there.
Hong Kong is easy - see all the regular tourist sights: the iconic Star Ferry, Victoria Peak etc. and don't forget the Woman's Market (not just for women). You probably don't have visas for mainland China, but Shenzhen is mind boggling considering in 1980 it had 30,000 people, now there are 12,000,000 (18 mil. during the day)... skyscrapers and 'super-mega' malls.
Then, flying to Bangkok for three days there.
The Grand Palace is a must. I highly recommend a day trip to Ayutthaya to see the ruins of the ancient capital of Siam and Bang Pa-In Royal Palace (Summer Palace)... take a sunset dinner cruise down the Chao Phraya River back to your hotel.
Jan. 29-31: Ho Chi Minh City, three days here
Three days is two days too long. You can kill one day with a trip to Vung Tau (so long as it's not a weekend - VT is inundated by 'tourists' from HCMC every Sat. & Sun.). A hydrofoil to VT takes 90 minutes (if they're running). Another option is a 'Limo' (an 8-passenger van with comfy reclining seats, power and docking stations. And, of course there are expensive taxis (who will do it for a fixed price)... just get out of HCMC early in the morning or you'll be caught in rush hour traffic which can turn a 90 min. drive into 3 hours. If you're looking for a tour in VT, I recommend -

http://besttoursinvungtau.weebly.com/

Feb. 1-8: Depart Ho Chi Minh City for seven-day Mekong River cruise with Avalon Waterways seeing Vietnam and Cambodia, including Phnom Penh, various villages, etc.

Feb. 8-10: Siem Reap, disembarkation from river cruise and visiting Angkor Wat, etc.; Feb. 10: Fly to Hanoi, two days here; Feb. 12: Ha Long Bay, two nights cruising here; Feb. 14: Fly to Hue; Feb. 15-19: Hue, Danang, Hoi An, etc., four+ days here; Feb. 20: depart from Hong Kong back to Chicago.

Nice! (I'd love to do that river cruise). I can't recommend anything for your Vietnamese cities after the cruise as I've never been. It seems like a fantastic trip... just too bad you aren't going to Laos (you can do that next time).

Cheers,

Bill

Cams, great news! So glad it's looking up. Hooray for Roberto, meeting somebody who knows his works...

Spins, don't complain. Yesterday we barely got above zero. Farenheit!! Unfortunately that meant we were stuck inside, and therefore we worked like crazy people around the house.

Saturday we braved the cold to do two miles around the block. Not bad except nobody had plowed the sidewalks. So we got extra work breaking a trail. Then we cleaned the aquarium and took down the second Christmas tree. And we went wine shopping, and had a delicious pork rib roast for dinner.

a4559cc5394d7c9e514ef8ba451e61a7.jpg

Today was a little crazy. Since the master bath project is almost done, all the construction material is moved out of the master bedroom. But we are still living in the guest suite, so our bedroom is empty. So I had the brilliant idea that now was an unparalleled opportunity to paint the master bedroom. So, that's what we did for four hours today. It looks awesome but wow, my arms are sore!

Then another walk to exhale the paint fumes.

Dinner was a roast chicken and some salad.

dfe61a1f9bdae015bb3c47d55623658e.jpg

5859cb1f8e211e33bbda94b022cab644.jpg

Time for the hot tub. I can't post pictures of the new paint job until I have a chance to photograph it in daylight. The artificial light doesn't do it justice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Good Morning all ....

Spins it is great to abandon plans for better ones and being inside rather than grilling in the cold is sensible.

JP you have been far too energetic and I guess that demonstrates the vigour of youth rather than my rather Felix Unger'ish approach to these things of simply shrugging and turning around, having a scratch, and going to lie down somewhere until someone else has sorted everything out. I envy you those muscles and those brussels. :)

Food-wise, apart from our normal eatings over the next few days the main mission over the next few weeks is that I want to master or at least make some reasonably edible sushi.

I love sushi, but I am so fed up with not eating stuff that I think is as good and fresh as it could be that I decided to give it my best shot. I have no pretensions about this, I'm never going to be master Jiro, and these guys train in apprenticeships for years or sometimes it seems a lifetime.

I think where I will fail badly is in presentation and I accept that, but what I want to do is to use really good premium ingredients and spend as much as I need - as I think quite a lot of the sushi accessible to me is let down by the profit motive and freshness challenges. So if I can put together a reasonable attempt at sushi construction but using only the very best ingredients I can, then I might be a step further ahead than we are now. I'm not going to be hampered by tradition ... for example I think I'd like to try using gravadlax as well as smoke salmon. Thankfully for us it isn't about raw fish which is where I'd have a real obstacle and challenge and luckily wifey hates tuna, I'm happy with good quality surimi, prawn, smoked and fresh salmon and prehaps some fresh asparagus with good quality rice from the Zoji and decent wasabi and soy and good quality Japanese wine vinegar etc. So the next week or two is going to be extremely frustrating as I find that this challenge will undoubtedly be ..... a challenge.

Wish me luck. :)