Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

TTSs on the way to lunch:

Great fun pictures from TTS. Just a few questions? Who was on the "way to lunch"? Was it the rhinos going to dine on you? Or, the hippos waiting for dessert? Or were Mr/Mrs. TTS doing lunch? Love your bringing back nice memories from Africa. Keep up the great sharing.

For Lois, all of these various questions when getting ready for surgery are a "giant pain". Good luck on Tuesday. I feel your concerns having gone through various kidney stone procedures during the past few months.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,170 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Great fun pictures from TTS. Just a few questions? Who was on the "way to lunch"? Was it the rhinos going to dine on you? Or, the hippos waiting for dessert? Or were Mr/Mrs. TTS doing lunch? Love your bringing back nice memories from Africa. Keep up the great sharing.

For Lois, all of these various questions when getting ready for surgery are a "giant pain". Good luck on Tuesday. I feel your concerns having gone through various kidney stone procedures during the past few months.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,170 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry, thanks:)........they also gave me a bunch of paperwork to read AND a body wash that is an anti-bacterial

one.....I have to use 1/2 of the bottle the night before I go to the hospital and then the rest of it Tuesday morning

before I leave the house. They also told me to change my sheets and sleep on fresh ones.......guess it is all about

staying clean.

Terry

It's warm and sunny here. We have had to close the windows and turn on the a/c for the last week. Your weather looks colorful. I can't recall seeing a weather report with the foreshadowing of disruptive snow.

Lois,

Best of luck with your surgery. Most importantly is to think very positive thoughts. Your are doing everything to prepare and so is the surgeon and the hospital and nurses. You need to have the offending stones removed and it will be done and over. Then you can move on to the next chapter of life.

Cam,

Your cruise sounds heavenly.

Sophia,

When is your next cruise?

Mysty,

Hope you are surviving your parental intervention!

Jeff,

Looking for new food fotos.

TTS and spouse,

Keep enjoying!

JP and Chris,

Brussels and environs so picturesque. DH went to school there in Louvain/Leuven.

Happy day all!

Terry It's warm and sunny here. We have had to close the windows and turn on the a/c for the last week. Your weather looks colorful. I can't recall seeing a weather report with the foreshadowing of disruptive snow. Happy day all!

Spins really knows how to "rub it in" about the contrast between their warm South Florida weather versus our cold/snow now in Central Ohio. We got about 4" of snow here. Some nearby areas received 5-6" of snow. Lots of strong winds blowing that "white stuff" around. BUT, it does look pretty and nice!! What's upcoming here? See the latest projection from AccuWeather. More snow!!

But in just a week, we'll be flying off to Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. In Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City, we will have high temperature in the 88-90F range.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-13%20at%209.21.52%20AM_zpsvchgr61g.png

Good Morning all .... nice pics and great to hear Cams and Roberto are enjoying their travels.

Spins your wish is my command ...

Today I made katsu panko chicken with chow mein and this week I made some prawn and asparagus sushi and some Toulouse pork with potatoes and sweet red cabbage.

67d5ced4fd3e96474901bdd066fd08e2.jpg

e1b5c0c36a883d2903690489a34188c7.jpg

485d16796334768452f860c088377b93.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Buenos días San Juan!

We were greeted by chubascos (scaterred rain) when we arrived this morning. But oh, what a lovely surprise to see that Old San Juan retains its glory, even in the aftermath of such a devastating storm. There are currently three ships in town and there is a lively vibe around the place. We walked for about two hours, talking to locals, and making sure we supported the local economy. I’ve bought so many things that I will need a new suitcase.

Tonight is a special cocktail reception. I only brought a formal dress and will need to wear again (in SS the cocktail usually precedes the formal night). Sorry to say no formal wear to buy in OSJ. Will continue.

Evening All....

Delish food offerings Jeffers....wish you were a neighbour right now! 😉

Great to know JP and Chris are enjoying Brussels...have only been once some fifty years ago so guess it's changed a bit since then but childhood memories are of eating fries lathered in mayo....

Terry, please do keep the snow to yourselves over there it has a tendency to creep over the pond to us at times!

Enjoying the reports from Cam and the TTS's.....brightens up the dreary January days here.

Spins...next cruise is May on the Spirit then again in November....the new suite categories seem to favour the solo traveler which this year sees me elevated to deck nine!

Wishing Lois well for the week ahead...pre and post op prep can be a trial but it has to be done.

Renovation work starts here on Tuesday so l have to clear my bedroom out tomorrow and move into the spare room.....not looking forward to the mess but it will be worth it when finished.

Happy Weekend 😊

Buenos días San Juan! We were greeted by chubascos (scaterred rain) when we arrived this morning. But oh, what a lovely surprise to see that Old San Juan retains its glory, even in the aftermath of such a devastating storm. There are currently three ships in town and there is a lively vibe around the place. We walked for about two hours, talking to locals, and making sure we supported the local economy. I’ve bought so many things that I will need a new suitcase.

Tonight is a special cocktail reception. I only brought a formal dress and will need to wear again (in SS the cocktail usually precedes the formal night). Sorry to say no formal wear to buy in OSJ. Will continue.

Appreciate this wonderful, fun update from Cams from charming and historic San Juan. We super loved our three days in the area after completing our 2015 Amazon River/Caribbean adventure on the Silver Cloud. Below are just a few of the sunny pictures from that wonderful Old San Juan. Know it is still challenged there on the island, but it is nice to hear that recovery in happening in some small, slow ways.

Super loved visiting many different parts of the Caribbean. See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847

Here is a narrow street view in Old San Juan as this road goes downhill towards the water/port areas where cruise ships dock. Love the balconies, gates and other architectural details in this area.:

SanJuanA15_zps9mlcksgi.jpg

Here is the famous cemetery setting that is immediately next to this fortress. This Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery was inaugurated in 1863. Its circular red-domed chapel, inspired by Bramante’s Rotonda in Rome, stands out amongst the numerous graves. The picturesque burial grounds are adorned with Genevan marbles and sculptures.:

SanJuanA20_zpsrsbdydte.jpg

Below is just one view from near the San Juan Gate of the famed walled fortress that guarded this town from its early 1500's period. This San Juan Gate is right near where the Governor's Palace or La Fortaleza (The Fortress) is located. It is the current official residence of the Governor of Puerto Rico. It was built between 1533 and 1540 to defend the harbor of San Juan. It is the oldest executive mansion in continuous use in the New World.: SanJuanA12_zpsmod4egol.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry, please do keep the snow to yourselves over there it has a tendency to creep over the pond to us at times!

Renovation work starts here on Tuesday so l have to clear my bedroom out tomorrow and move into the spare room.....not looking forward to the mess but it will be worth it when finished. Happy Weekend 😊

Appreciate the great suggestion from Miss Sophia to keep our current snow and cold on this side of the Atlantic. Should I suggest to our national leaders about "BUILDING A WALL" for that purpose? Would it work?

Good luck with your upcoming renovations. That can get challenging. Never as simple, quick, cheap and easy as it starts out in the initial, planning stages.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 193,829 views for this posting.

Appreciate the great suggestion from Miss Sophia to keep our current snow and cold on this side of the Atlantic. Should I suggest to our national leaders about "BUILDING A WALL" for that purpose? Would it work?

It wouldn't work across the Atlantic. However, you could build a north/south wall... and make Canada pay for it. ;p

Terry, thanks so much for posting the pictures of Old San Juan! My DH took several lovely ones and they are in his FB page. Alas, I am no good with either taking or posting photos... Thanks again.

TTS, on behalf of your wife... I am giving you the silent treatment (smiley face here).

Terry, thanks so much for posting the pictures of Old San Juan! My DH took several lovely ones and they are in his FB page. Alas, I am no good with either taking or posting photos... Thanks again.

Enjoyed the fun elephant picture from Africa by TTS. Yes, wanting more!!!

Appreciate the above nice follow-up from Spins. We'll have to work on educating you on the easy tips for posting pictures here on the CC Boards. With today's digital cameras, it is even easier to capture and get nice visuals. Keep up the great sharing from your Seabourn trip.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,725 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thankfully Spins, no legumes in it otherwise it would be farty potage. :)

What's wrong with a little "natural gas"?? Personally, I like such dishes/soups with more "stuff" in the blend. Not having it all blended/grounded down to such a type of liquid condition. Personal choice and taste??!! I am sure it tasted very, very good.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,512 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Gentlemen, No rhyme, no reason. I reserve further comments on gut microflora.

Spin's mention of "gut microflora" is getting fairly technical and way above my level of medical knowledge. BUT, I checked a little more and agree that we need those microbes working for us. Good "educational lesson" this morning by our sunny South Florida friend.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Good morning, watching my Jaguars play the Steelers today.:).......I can only hope it will be a good game. I know we beat

them badly earlier in the year but I think Pittsburgh will take us this time. But after the past few years, this season has

been totally awesome and I am quite proud of my home team:).........I think we are capable of winning but I think

the Steelers will win it........Nobody in this area can honestly say they thought we would win 11 games this year......if they tell you

different, they are lieing.......if we win, it will be GRAVY:D

I went shopping yesterday and got plenty of groceries for after I come home from the hospital........from what I have been

told, I am going to be quite sore:eek:........so going out won't be much of an option.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Good morning, watching my Jaguars play the Steelers today........I can only hope it will be a good game. I know we beat them badly earlier in the year but I think Pittsburgh will take us this time. But after the past few years, this season has been totally awesome and I am quite proud of my home team:).........I think we are capable of winning but I think the Steelers will win it........Nobody in this area can honestly say they thought we would win 11 games this year......if they tell you different, they are lieing.......if we win, it will be GRAVY Have a good Sunday everyone.

Am watching now, Lois, the CBS-TV coverage of the Jaguars at Pittsburgh NFL football game. It's 28-14 with Jacksonville ahead. BUT, there's still another half of the game left to play. From this area, I am a Steelers fan. BUT, the Jaguars have had a great turn-around season this year. Congrats to your team!!! The Jags are looking very good, especially their defense.

Just got home for our art museum here and they have an interesting "Beyond Impressionism" exhibit from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Might post more later on this exhibition.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,350 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

I think most people, perhaps many Americans, will not appreciate that without Americans, Impressionism would never have broken through in the way it eventually did and if anything was in spite of the French and not because of them. The French couldn't progrees from neo-claccisism, and impressionism was too much of a shock.

Most also don't understand that the major impetus was from Turner going to France and inspiring and energising French artists and if it were not for Paul Durand-Ruel buying up thousands of painintings and bringing them and selling them firstly in the UK and then America it would probably have failed as a movement and we might not know all those wonderful visionary artists.

Impressionism was first used as a term of abuse and the French sneered and laughed at it. The major artists had to come to the UK to find their first receptive customer base and it was only after Paul sent pictures and exhibited firstly in the UK and then in the US that the movement really took off. He would often buy dozens of paintings in a day to support the artists and sometimes bid at his own auctions to force prices up so they would be closer to decent values.

impressionism was conceived in France, nurtured in England and blossomed in America but the greatest force that enabled us to see it all today was Paul Durand-Ruel.

The numbers regarding Paul Durand-Ruel are staggering: 93 paintings are on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. They represent a small fraction of the almost 12,000 paintings that passed through his hands. In his lifetime, he bought some 1,500 Renoirs, 800 Pissarros, over 400 Degas's, almost 400 Sisleys and Cassatts as well as some 200 Manets. In addition, he dealt with works by Delacroix, Rousseau, Courbet, Boudin, Fantin-Latour, Paul Gauguin (whose talent he did not fully recognize, but that's another story), Corot, Whistler and others.

:)

(The item fails to mention his support of many other artists including buying around 1000 Monets a small oversight ......)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff