Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

I'm happy with good quality surimi...

Eeeeeeeeew. I'll argue there's no such thing as good quality surimi. It's all ground, highly processed 'junk' fish (mostly pollock... if you're lucky), cooked into a gelatinous slurry with the addition of gums, starches, oils, sweeteners, salt, flavourings, artificial colouring and a beef enzyme to make it 'set'.

I used to fish pollock commercially for the Japanese surimi market... and won't eat it.

Nice looking food JP.

I like comfort food much better than summer salads, even though the vegetables are out of the garden. I think our tomatoes will be ready just after we move. Nice for the new owner.

I have lived in England twice but there wasn’t much snow - much to our disappointment. Too far south in Wiltshire and Dorset for snow to settle for long.

Spins, I understand about hospice. I was lucky enough to help set up a new Palliative Care facility as Unit Manager. Best job ever.

Not as hot here today so felt I could pack some boxes. 5 weeks till our removal so plenty of time, and I don’t want to be sitting with boxes all around for that time!

Eeeeeeeeew. I'll argue there's no such thing as good quality surimi. It's all ground, highly processed 'junk' fish (mostly pollock... if you're lucky), cooked into a gelatinous slurry with the addition of gums, starches, oils, sweeteners, salt, flavourings, artificial colouring and a beef enzyme to make it 'set'.

I used to fish pollock commercially for the Japanese surimi market... and won't eat it.

Bill, I won't argue with you but I don't know anyone can say that "there is no such thing" as anything to be honest as like most things there is good and poor surimi and it is used in it's own right in many parts of Asia ie not as an imitation product. You may as well say there is no such thing as a good fish cake because the fish cake you have eaten wasn't good.

The surimi I use is good and we use it instead of prawn / shrimp in sandwiches and we enjoy it and I have also noticed it on several picture postings by several different posters that SS use it as a substitute for lobster tails without it being detected as surimi. It is also routinely and extensively used in sushi in preference to other proteins "in it's own right".

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=surimi+in+sushi&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKnsH6hsjYAhUqCMAKHV5LCXEQ_AUICigB&biw=2293&bih=821

lobster.png

wiki ...

Surimi is a useful ingredient for producing various kinds of processed foods. It allows a manufacturer to imitate the texture and taste of a more expensive product, such as lobster tail, using a relatively low-cost material. Surimi is an inexpensive source of protein.

In Asian cultures, surimi is eaten as a food in its own right and seldom used to imitate other foods. In Japan, fish cakes (kamaboko) and fish sausages, as well as other extruded fish products, are commonly sold as cured surimi.

In Chinese cuisine, fish surimi, often called "fish paste", is used directly as stuffing or made into balls. Balls made from lean beef (, lit. "beef ball") and pork surimi often are seen in Chinese cuisine. Fried, steamed, and boiled surimi products also are found commonly in Southeast Asian cuisine.

In the West, surimi products usually are imitation seafood products, such as crab, abalone, shrimp, calamari, and scallop. Several companies do produce surimi sausages, luncheon meats, hams, and burgers. Some examples include Salmolux salmon burgers and SeaPak surimi ham, salami, and rolls. A patent was issued for the process of making even higher-quality proteins from fish such as in the making of imitation steak from surimi. Surimi is also used to make kosher imitation shrimp and crabmeat, using only kosher fish such as pollock.

Terry, Here are my recommendations:

Hong Kong is easy - see all the regular tourist sights: the iconic Star Ferry, Victoria Peak etc. and don't forget the Woman's Market (not just for women). You probably don't have visas for mainland China, but Shenzhen is mind boggling considering in 1980 it had 30,000 people, now there are 12,000,000 (18 mil. during the day)... skyscrapers and 'super-mega' malls.

BANGKOK: The Grand Palace is a must. I highly recommend a day trip to Ayutthaya to see the ruins of the ancient capital of Siam and Bang Pa-In Royal Palace (Summer Palace)... take a sunset dinner cruise down the Chao Phraya River back to your hotel.

HO CHI MINH CITY: Three days is two days too long. You can kill one day with a trip to Vung Tau (so long as it's not a weekend - VT is inundated by 'tourists' from HCMC every Sat. & Sun.). A hydrofoil to VT takes 90 minutes (if they're running). Another option is a 'Limo' (an 8-passenger van with comfy reclining seats, power and docking stations. And, of course there are expensive taxis (who will do it for a fixed price)... just get out of HCMC early in the morning or you'll be caught in rush hour traffic which can turn a 90 min. drive into 3 hours. If you're looking for a tour in VT, I recommend -

http://besttoursinvungtau.weebly.com/

MEKONG RIVER CRUISE: Nice! (I'd love to do that river cruise). I can't recommend anything for your Vietnamese cities after the cruise as I've never been. It seems like a fantastic trip... just too bad you aren't going to Laos (you can do that next time). Cheers, Bill

Super appreciate from Bill B these great tips, insights, comments and follow-ups. Very helpful!! Look forward to any and all other suggestions, ideas, etc., from others experienced from travel in these areas of Southeast Asia. Might have some added questions before we depart on Jan. 21.

For those suffering with the cold and bad weather, it is hard to believe, but we will need to be prepared for the HEAT in Bangkok, southern parts of Vietnam, etc. Have a friend whose husband and family just moved to Bangkok as a part of his duties with CDC (Center for Disease Control). One of her key observations she shared yesterday was: "It's hot here and can suck your energy level quickly!"

Lots of great and interesting food pictures and fish details here at the Cooler. Good luck to Spins in getting back into that Southern Florida sunny zone.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,596 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Dreary Sunday here, damp rainy and chilly 50F. Was going to grill, but I don't want to even go outside. Still in my Jammies, it's that kind of day.

Cheer up, Spins!! It could be worse. They were reporting this morning as to how in a suburb of Sydney yesterday, it got up, UP to a temperature of 117F. WOW!! That's really hot. By contrast, most schools in Central Ohio are closed today due to the added snow, ice, cold, etc. Things will get much better, soon, in South Florida.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,477 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Today is Trois Islets, Martinique, tres belle!

I’m having internet issues but would like to post that this is a fun cruise. Median age is around 55, which is a change from our last cruise in SS, where I think was around 70. Age is certainly no measure of liveliness but is nice to see so many younger people enjoying themselves. Lunch continues to please us, except the bread which is really mediocre. Last night’s formal dinner was successful, if not delicious. We went to see a show dedicated to Tim Rice lyrics and the best were the dancers. Will continue.

Today is Trois Islets, Martinique, tres belle! I’m having internet issues but would like to post that this is a fun cruise. Median age is around 55, which is a change from our last cruise in SS, where I think was around 70. Age is certainly no measure of liveliness but is nice to see so many younger people enjoying themselves. Lunch continues to please us, except the bread which is really mediocre. Last night’s formal dinner was successful, if not delicious. We went to see a show dedicated to Tim Rice lyrics and the best were the dancers. Will continue.

Appreciate these continued great updates from Cams. Fun and interesting!! Keep it coming. Loving these details. Makes my point that no one cruise line is perfectly perfect. All have their various factors and differences, in part based on the fellow passengers, crew, staff leadership, etc.

Was not aware of this specific location. Checked and found that Les Trois-Îlets on Martinique is known as the birthplace of Joséphine, Napoléon Bonaparte’s first wife. What ports are next?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 193,178 views for this posting.

... I have also noticed it on several picture postings by several different posters that SS use it as a substitute for lobster tails without it being detected as surimi.

What!!! SS is 'passing off' surimi as lobster tails? (I haven't cruised with SS yet, so haven't seen it). For the fares SS charges, we should be getting real lobster... not pelagic 'Spam'. I'd expect surimi on Costa or Carnival... but not on a luxury line.

:mad:

Cams, good to see you're having fun!

Bill, I have from recall seen it twice. Once where a completely round "tail" was served as the center of a lobster bisque and the other was a completely round tail served with a sauce. No fibre, just a perfectly formed sort of rubbery and coloured surimi tail.

First sushi was not exactly photogenic partly because it was my first go, and partly because I was using unformed fresh protein ie freshly poached and flaked salmon and steamed asparagus tips.

Wifey said it was the best tasting sushi she had ever had, so just got to work on the shape!

b50ecaf2a582922151f43395a86e8b30.jpg

a87372aa87e0d462327728b8f61bac81.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bill, I have from recall seen it twice. Once where a completely round "tail" was served as the center of a lobster bisque and the other was a completely round tail served with a sauce. No fibre, just a perfectly formed sort of rubbery and coloured surimi tail.

Surimis don't have tails. ;)

I'm not going to eat any 'lobster' that doesn't come in its shell.

Greetings All....

It's been a busy few days trying to organise and co-ordinate the renovation workmen....I hate the intrusion with a passion but this work has to be done for both my pleasure and to Increase the value of the property....so I've got to 'Keep Calm and Carry On'!

The weekend luncheons out were a welcome respite!

So pleased to see Cam is enjoying the cruise and meeting some interesting folk along the way.

Hate sushi....it just doesn't appeal at all....hate lobster too but then I'm not really a 'fishy' person apart from the traditional old fish and chips which are hard to find these days...my grandparents owned and ran three such restaurants during the war and their offerings were to die for so guess I'm hard to please!!

Rather a dull day here with some heavy morning frosts but have noticed the days are beginning to draw out so Spring is in the way.....

Happy Day 😊

Sophia. I hear you. We've had workmen in the house pretty much every day since October. Luckily we were away for those 3 weeks in October-November.

They are really good about keeping their footprint to a minimum but it is still disruptive no matter how good they are. We are very fortunate that we can just move to the guest wing and stay away from the construction zone.

Packed up for Brussels. One rollaboard and our backpacks. Leaving tomorrow evening, which is Chris's birthday.

So, I can say that I'm buying Chris a nice birthday dinner tomorrow night... In Saga Class, on Iceland Air! LOL.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Morning all. As usual struggling to keep up with the conversation.

Sushi: my husband likes to use the line “excuse me, but I think you forgot to cook this”

Renovations: the last major renovations we did (a gutting of the kitchen) I managed to be away on business for 4 weeks, and then went on ‘vacation’ (from the root ‘vacate’) until we had cooking and washing facilities again. My husband is talking about more renovations and my response is “let’s just move”.

Fish and chips: it is widely accepted in our family that the best fish is found at Chip Shop #3 in Aberystwyth. Bit of a commute though - 10 hour flight, then the drive, so we’re probably just extra hungry by the time we get there.

Happy Birthday to Chris tomorrow, and just a regular Happy day to everyone else!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello. I've not died, just been busy floating around off the coast of the Eastern Cape. Maputo today. If you get the chance to visit - don't!

All good on the Spirit. Ship full but only 65 US on board, nearly 400 (yes, you read that right) Brits and a few assorted others.

Dined with Capt Palmieri who is a hoot and as top days sailed getting invites to all sorts of dinner, lunch and cocktail things.

Sleep well my children.

Bon jour, Guadeloupe! Well, it’s almost bon nuit but I still have connectivity issues.

Happy birthday Chris! I’m sure you will have a wonderful birthday trip with JP.

I need to point out that our new cruise friends had low expectations for Martinique and Guadeloupe, but we found them so charming in their non-touristy, sort of run down, totally non-esthetic (as we expect) way. We immersed ourselves in the local ambiance and have to say we were treated royally.

Last night we tried the Thomas Keller restaurant in the ship. We have mixed impressions. The starters were absolutely delicious and we were sure all would hit the same note. We asked for the roast chicken for two (supposed to be a highlight in the menu) and it was very good but.... it was served en jus and that made the crispy skin soggy. The desserts were to die for!

We’ve met interesting people and have enjoyed lots of conversations. I am very happy with this cruise... except still having TV issues. Hope to continue tomorrow and i’ll Touch on the entertainment.