Cheers and what the bartender said

dogtaur

So... we are just off of the Inspiration. My husband got up to 13 drinks one night with the Cheers program and the bartender said that a lot of people start paying for their drinks when they reach 13.....and then he got distracted by the crowd.....and we never really understood what the bartender was talking about. Any ideas? Anyone else encounter this?

So... we are just off of the Inspiration. My husband got up to 13 drinks one night with the Cheers program and the bartender said that a lot of people start paying for their drinks when they reach 13.....and then he got distracted by the crowd.....and we never really understood what the bartender was talking about. Any ideas? Anyone else encounter this?

It appears that he was saying, charge the drinks to your room account.

With cheers you are limited to 15 drinks per day. Once you hit 15 you are completely cut off, can't even pay for drinks. What he was saying is once you hit 13/14, if you plan to continue drinking, you should start paying for your drinks instead of using cheers. Otherwise you'll be cutoff at 15.

With cheers you are limited to 15 drinks per day. Once you hit 15 you are completely cut off, can't even pay for drinks. What he was saying is once you hit 13/14, if you plan to continue drinking, you should start paying for your drinks instead of using cheers. Otherwise you'll be cutoff at 15.

Agree that was what the bartender meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The daily (6am - 6am next day) limit is 15 alcoholic drinks if you purchase cheers, but you can order 100 waters/sodas/coffees/etc as there is no limit on them and they don't count against your 15 alcoholic drinks. However if you don't purchase cheers you can buy 100 alcoholic beverages as there is no limit. Funny how that works.

Anyways OP was the bartender was hinting at was the Cheers program allows you to purchase a drink "for a friend" and you would pay the menu price + gratuity. If you do it this way that drink does not count as one of YOUR 15 since you "bought it for a friend". Those who like to drink heavily onboard will start charging/buying drinks "for a friend" around there # 13 or 14 on Cheers so they don't get cut off, and use Cheers for their night caps.

Anyways OP was the bartender was hinting at was the Cheers program allows you to purchase a drink "for a friend" and you would pay the menu price + gratuity. If you do it this way that drink does not count as one of YOUR 15 since you "bought it for a friend". Those who like to drink heavily onboard will start charging/buying drinks "for a friend" around there # 13 or 14 on Cheers so they don't get cut off, and use Cheers for their night caps.

And who says human ingenuity is a thing of the past!

I wonder who fist thought of this workaround? The cruisers who, at #13 or #14, didn't want their booze cut off or the bartenders who didn't want their tips cut off?:confused:

If you are near the limit, can you just tell the bartender to charge it to the S&S card instead of using the Cheers package? Or do you just say you are "buying it for a friend" and then it will be charged to your S&S card?

If you are near the limit, can you just tell the bartender to charge it to the S&S card instead of using the Cheers package? Or do you just say you are "buying it for a friend" and then it will be charged to your S&S card?

With the current TOU for the Cheers program 1 eligible drink will always be counted towards the program with a 0 charge. SO what you need to do is order one for yourself under the package and round "for friends" in the same transaction. In this case 1 drink will be deducted from your Cheers count, and the rest will be charged at full menu price to your S&S account.

JUST keep in mind when ordering non-covered beverage, like sharing drinks (fishbowl or tower of beer) or those in the souvenir glasses, even though you pay for the drink it is still counted towards you 15 alcoholic drink count unless you order a covered alcoholic drink at the same time. With buckets of beer you will give up the $2 discount in lieu of getting 1 of the 4 as covered by Cheers and pay full menu price for the other 3, and all 4 will be served opened.

The limit is 15 in a 24 hour period since he was close he probably suggested that most start paying once he reached his 15 he would pay for the extra until the 24 hour period started over

The 15 limit is for alcoholic drinks. Sodas, water, etc are unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Anyone who has had cheers knows the 15 limit is for drinks with alcohol .... however some seem surprised that the 15 limit can be reached .. since it is in a 24 hour period it is possible ...

Does anyone know if a double shot counts as two drinks or one drink?

Double shot counts as two drinks...technically they won't serve you a double shot under the cheers because there is a five minute wait between ordering drinks with alcohol...they will let you pay for the extra shot

Edited by breezy270

Another tip I picked up: if you are done for the night but have leftover drinks for the day available, order a canned beer (ie Fosters) and ask the server to not open it. Wait five minutes and order another one, etc, etc. Stick them in your room fridge and take them with you off the boat at your next port for free beer on the beach!