Windy balcony

Gunz

I am sailing on harmony of the seas in February 2018. Our balcony cabin, 10150 is on the port side in the front We sailed on harmony in June 2017 and had a cabin on tenth floor near the back of ship and balcony was not windy and wonderful. We previously sailed on freedom of the seas in February 2016 and had a balcony cabin towards the front. Balcony was very windy. Was wondering if the wind was due to time of year or location of ship or class of ship. I'm concerned that our upcoming cruise will have a lot of wind on balcony. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The relative wind across or down the ship is the same regardless of stateroom location. The very front would naturally feel it the most facing into the wind, but very few ships have balconies on the front - for that reason. Wind is a factor of weather and ship and wind direction and no location on the ship is windier than another - front or back long the sides. The only location that may be less windy would be the aft facing balconies, unless the wind comes from that direction. Just like there are windy or calm days on land - the sea is no different.

Curious why this would be a concern?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We never had a windy day on balcony on Harmony, yet every day on Freedom balcony was terribly windy. So yes, this is serious.

The result of different wind conditions on the two cruises - nothing at all to do with the ships or balcony location. It's the weather.

The relative wind across or down the ship is the same regardless of stateroom location. The very front would naturally feel it the most facing into the wind, but very few ships have balconies on the front - for that reason. Wind is a factor of weather and ship and wind direction and no location on the ship is windier than another - front or back long the sides. The only location that may be less windy would be the aft facing balconies, unless the wind comes from that direction. Just like there are windy or calm days on land - the sea is no different.

Curious why this would be a concern?

I love to spend a good deal of time in the morning on the balcony enjoying the ocean which is why we pay for such a room. When on Freedom it was so windy and loud I couldn't spend more than a few minutes on balcony I know it may be a silly question but since we are near front of ship, I may have considered selecting a cabin further back if it made a difference

I love to spend a good deal of time in the morning on the balcony enjoying the ocean which is why we pay for such a room. When on Freedom it was so windy and loud I couldn't spend more than a few minutes on balcony I know it may be a silly question but since we are near front of ship, I may have considered selecting a cabin further back if it made a difference

I don't see how it would make a difference but go ahead and select one further back if you wish. For me I would do that if it brought me closer to the main elevator banks for the convenience of that location, but not for the expectation of less wind. The reason you had the issues you did on Freedom was most certainly weather related and not location based.

In over 25 years of cruising with balcony stateroom locations just about everywhere on multiple ships, location has had nothing to do with wind conditions experienced. The only exception has been with aft facing locations as indicated previously. But that is only if the wind is not following the direction of travel.

I will say that a balcony just aft of the hump may be shielded somewhat from the breeze caused by ships forward motion, which can contribute up to 22 knots. But as others have said this is offset by direction of actual winds so even there may feel windy. Good luck!

BobJ

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it will also slightly vary by balcony design. On some ships and in some locations they are much more enclosed/sheltered than others (for example on some of the older ships the lower half of the rail is metal not glass). I agree that for better chances of less wind on the balcony, you'd want the aft half of the ship, but it will vary most by ambient conditions. We like just aft of mid-ship as you feel less motion and its convenient.

I agree that for better chances of less wind on the balcony, you'd want the aft half of the ship, but it will vary most by ambient conditions.

As mentioned previously, the aft half of the ship would provide no difference in the relative wind as felt in the front half of the ship. Wind is wind and would be the same anywhere along the sides of the ship

• 3 months later...