Allure: Confessions of a solo passenger

hucifer

Love your review, love sarcasm, I'm all in!

Sailing Allure in August!

Love my alone time although I've only done Disney solo for two days before meeting up with my mom and haven't been able to cruise solo yet leaving my kids and dh at home but a girl can dream LOL

Thanks for the review and pictures!

Ahhhh....cough, cough.....should I mention this?.....

I was born and bred in Ohio. That’s right, I’m proud of my Buckeyes. I’d like to apologize to a Michigan State alum after the whooping Saturday by OSU. As long as you bleed GREEN and not BLUE, we can be good friends. My Buckeyes will no doubt get whooped by UofM Thanksgiving weekend. Sigh.

Back to your outstanding review! I’m the queen of sarcasm in my family, so I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also Ohio born and bred but a rebel with a younger sibling smart enough to play for the Spartans when they were whoopin Ohio State going for big ten championships and at Home ruining championship dreams [emoji39]

I live in Columbus about a mile from “the shoe” so I don’t get to flaunt my Sparty-pride very often! Especially this year in Columbus...

When I got married we moved from Cincinnati to Rochester NY. This is a really lovely area, but when people ask me where I’m from, I say Ohio. I’ve lived in Rochester 2/3 of my life now, but Ohio is “where I’m from”.

Guess what’s near Rochester? Thaaaat’s right. Syracuse. I must admit I cheer for The Orange for college BB. But during football season, I’m all about OSU. Disappointed that their season hasn’t gone the way I hoped.

There’s always next year. [emoji4]

I just hit the subscribe button as loving your lowest form of wit so far.

I’ve not been on Allure but have been on her wider girthed sister. Neither do I cruise solo, although I really hope to do so someday, once the 15 year old locust who lives with me disappears to Uni and the lovely husband I have sees that it makes sense, since he has an employer with limited holidays and I’m my own employer with unlimited holidays. Shame that!

He’ll see it’s only fair that I take the hit to advance us on double points towards the elusive diamond status [emoji51]

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Absolutely loving your review!! Took my first solo cruise last year (have cruised tons and solo-ed through Europe) and loved it. Counting down till Sunday when I run away from life's insanity to relax and recharge on the Freedom of the Seas. Your review is saving my sanity until then!

Between not being able to access Cruise Critic at work (which is a new thing, btw), and my son's crazy basketball schedule after work, my CC time is severely limited lately. So I am falling behind.

I am writing a preview and trip reports for my cruise on Freedom. Link in my signature.

The 3 is from my family of 3, but my now 19 year old son rarely cruises with us anymore. His first cruise in 2008. a65a756843a1e081e272a649ae14dad6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Your son is adorable here! And he's 19 now? WOW how quickly they grow. I will check out your report.

Ok, you're with Sparty that's ok. and this time of year its ISHIGAIN Loved the report. Hope to return to Allure again someday.

It appears that State has a lot fewer haters than Michigan. And I'm good with that.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4jeX8kL7XAhUB0YMKHSlnDGkQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fumad.com%2Ftom-hanks-wave-gif-10027.html&psig=AOvVaw3_FQmg7PRT_OQwOwCaHeQV&ust=1510751190060615

That would be me!

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4jeX8kL7XAhUB0YMKHSlnDGkQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fumad.com%2Ftom-hanks-wave-gif-10027.html&psig=AOvVaw3_FQmg7PRT_OQwOwCaHeQV&ust=1510751190060615

Don't think I didn't pick up on the irony of this post. Welcome, btw. :)

It's a bit out the way on Allure on deck 6 all the way aft behind the Aquatheatre. Actually, most ships still have them.

Biker, who's waiting for part 2.

You know, the funny thing is, I was back there and actually saw it too. I guess it didn't register because I never ever ever see people playing shuffleboard anymore. Except on Love Boat reruns.

WHY WHY WHY don't they let us quote more than two people at a time?

Following along.

I did my first solo cruise in August to Alaska and going solo to Disney in March.

What did you think of your first solo cruise? Not sure if you saw me mention it, but I did a solo thing to WDW back in 2009. Loved it.

I've never cruised before but will soon leave for my first one. I travel solo to Europe or US places. I have three booked one of which is solo and in that solo cabin on Epic that is ALWAYS SOLD OUT ! I suppose I think I will fancy cruising. Looking forward to exploring your report.

Cruising is fabulous. It's my go-to vacation because everything is done for you. It can be as relaxing or as active as you want it to be. And I love how the crew gets to know you and your preferences. I've never done solo on Norwegian, but I hear so many good things about how they treat their solo guests.

Adventure had 4 stations on the outside deck, only 1 was completely stocked and ready to use. I couldn't get Gina away from the pool. I was the 6th grade champion of Wesleyville, PA.

That's quite a title you hold. I never see anyone -- ever, at any time, playing shuffleboard.

Completely unrelated to shuffleboard or solo cruising - but I grew up next door to Wesleyville (on the western edge of Millcreek). :)

By the way - enjoying the trip report, slow going as it's been. ;)

Yeah, yeah. It's slow. I know. As I explained above (not sure if you read replies I give to others), my employer decided that Cruise Critic is now a restricted site. And I am crazy-busy after work with my son's after-school activities. So my updates have slowed down considerably these past few days. But glad you are enjoying! I will post again today!

Following along, love the tongue in cheek.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm glad you do. This tongue has gotten me into trouble PLENTY of times.

Quick question about Windjammer... I know it is crowded. I've read that in many reviews, but I wonder for breakfast is there a better time to go? Like early around 630-7am. We are traveling in march on allure and my father would be really upset if he can't enjoy the buffet (i swear he is only going for the buffet). I could take or leave breakfast but as long as I can send my parents up early to eat while the rest of the family gets ready that would be helpful. TY.

I know John&LaLa already responded, but let me affirm that earlier is better. But it isn't that much trouble getting a table whenever you go, except on the first and last days.

Love your review, love sarcasm, I'm all in!

Sailing Allure in August!

Love my alone time although I've only done Disney solo for two days before meeting up with my mom and haven't been able to cruise solo yet leaving my kids and dh at home but a girl can dream LOL

Thanks for the review and pictures!

Oh, you're going to love The Beast. I didn't think a ship could wow me after seven cruises, but she did. In so many ways.

Did you enjoy Disney alone? I went for four days. By the fourth, I was ready to come home. I am NOT like that on cruises, though. Seven days wasn't enough.

I just hit the subscribe button as loving your lowest form of wit so far.

I’ve not been on Allure but have been on her wider girthed sister. Neither do I cruise solo, although I really hope to do so someday, once the 15 year old locust who lives with me disappears to Uni and the lovely husband I have sees that it makes sense, since he has an employer with limited holidays and I’m my own employer with unlimited holidays. Shame that!

He’ll see it’s only fair that I take the hit to advance us on double points towards the elusive diamond status [emoji51]

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Makes total sense to me. Go forth and obtain points so your husband can enjoy them later! You should book a solo after your 15yo leaves home. Go ahead. Do it.

Absolutely loving your review!! Took my first solo cruise last year (have cruised tons and solo-ed through Europe) and loved it. Counting down till Sunday when I run away from life's insanity to relax and recharge on the Freedom of the Seas. Your review is saving my sanity until then!

Glad I can help! [bows humbly]

I absolutely love solo travel. Love meeting people, love eating (not people).

I've been on Freedom. Great class of ship!

Yeah, yeah. It's slow. I know. As I explained above (not sure if you read replies I give to others), my employer decided that Cruise Critic is now a restricted site. And I am crazy-busy after work with my son's after-school activities. So my updates have slowed down considerably these past few days. But glad you are enjoying! I will post again today!

Time to find a new job :p

Time to find a new job :p

I work for the government. It's as cushy as you get.

I don't think there's a quoting limit - besides, you can pad you post count with individual posts, you know, if you are into that kind of thing.

Au contraire, mon frere. Just two. Unless you manipulate the coding, which I do on occasion, as it is not my intent to up my post count. Case in point...

#3:

Go White!

Spoken like a true Spartan. :cool:

I am following this thread as well...I have traveled solo before, most notably to WDW a few times and enjoyed it...haven't yet cruised solo though...unlike some solo cruisers, I actually live alone and have for many years now, so a lot of alone time is actually a requirement for me...have cruised carnival, norwegian and royal--and so far my favorite is royal and in particular allure--I love this ship! your posts so far are bringing back some wonderful memories...I cruised allure with my mom as her 75th birthday cruise (she passed away this past april)...my next cruise will probably be on Harmony--which appears to be a lot like allure, so that should be exciting

Hi. Hope you can get back up on CC at work! I'd be devastated if I couldn't access at work LOL

Did you go to the gym? If so, what time were you there in the mornings and were you able to get a treadmill? Did you have to wait long for machines and were there any complimentary classes?

Thanks so much and can't wait to read more!

It's a lot of work keeping up with replies and posting and finding pics and keeping the dip stocked and the glasses filled. It's exhausting! But as long as my guests are enjoying themselves while I work my butt off, that's all that matters.

Hi! I'm joining this post as a reader, but don't bother wasting your time replying to my comment...just give us more! I'm transported to my childhood when my friends and I would brattily pound our fists on the dining room table chanting "We want food! We want food!" but instead it's now "We want more! We want more!"

Ok, apparently, I'm late to this party, but hey, it's a party! Now, I want to hear about your sarcastic adventures with chair hogs, kids who fill up the hot tubs and people who wear shorts and tank tops in the MDR.

Also, lanyards. I think we need more posts about lanyards.

not read through but with this sort of title, do you solo passengers ever get any 'action'?? :D:D:D

Sounds like the occasional room steward looks ‘em over, unfortunately