Allure: Confessions of a solo passenger

hucifer

DAY 3: LABADEE THROWS OFF MY GROOVE

22008242_1673249569360678_8294926275750083505_n.jpg?oh=0391e496af871d1c7cf87ed9342d65bf&oe=5AD71F4E

Labadee, the deceptive first look

Ahh, now we know where RCI purges the water from the kiddie pools....

just to discover that even the furthest beach is swarming with people. Some friendly guy fetches me a lounge chair, but after he leaves I notice that a few of the straps of the chair are broken and when I sit up, they make the back side flip forward and hit me on the head. I tipped a guy for this abuse.

Yes, I had you figured as the generous type. Should have offered the lounger to the guy on stilts.

[crickets]

Okay people. I know there must be SOMEONE who is still reading.

Well, I just mostly look at the pictures. Too bad that you can only post six at a time. No one can do Labadee justice in just six (what was it that we were we saying about sarcasm on page 1?). You must stop and take the obligatory shot of the Beast while you walk the last 2.5 miles along the pier to the ship...

23434813_1719552841397017_7460041575358366701_n.jpg?oh=c937d777fa2d13cd28bc77e675f47115&oe=5A97B63B

Ooh. Looks like you forgot to fold here.

The heat is sweltering. That’s saying something, coming from me. I love heat. I have been in Florida in July and August and felt at home. In fact, I feel most comfortable in 88-degree weather. Humidity or dry heat, I don’t care. This is when people wonder how since I was born and raised in Michigan. And here is my answer: I don’t know. But I am miserable in the cold, so it is safe to say that I am miserable in Michigan six months of the year.

However, today is so hot (how hot is it?)

Hey! Johnny Carson...., oops, showing my age...

And here I was under the impression that Michigan had a four season climate; pre-winter, winter, post-winter and mud. Good to know that it's only cold for 6 months out of the year. Waiting to read all about Day 3.5 ;)

Ah, Labadee. To add insult to injury, if you participate in blood drives, you cannot donate for 12 months after visiting Labadee.

Interesting. Does this rule apply if you stay aboard the ship? At what point is your person in, or on, Haiti for CDC health screening purposes? Presumably the miserable little varmints can fly to the pool deck of your Beast ship and infect you without your tootsies ever contacting their hallowed home ground.

Interesting. Does this rule apply if you stay aboard the ship? At what point is your person in, or on, Haiti for CDC health screening purposes? Presumably the miserable little varmints can fly to the pool deck of your Beast ship and infect you without your tootsies ever contacting their hallowed home ground.

I think it depends on who is doing the screening. And how badly they need your blood type. CDC says "Haiti, INCLUDING PORT OF LABADEE". I was told 12 months. Someone else posted "was told had to stay 24 hrs". So YMMV.

Noting CDC guidelines do not apply to travel posts (but remembering when my kids were younger, spare time was an illusion), looking forward to the post Labadee Day 3 and Day 4 reports.

I’m way late to this party. Discovered this thread today. Love it! So far no plans to sail a Beast class ship but sure is a fun read.

Have been cruising Celebrity lately but still consider myself Royal Loyal. Our first “real” cruise was on Grandeur. (Not counting Sea Escape, which later sank. No, it wasn’t my fault.)

I too have a DDH and have been cruising solo for several years. Yes I miss the fancy suites, but give me a teeny balcony and a Kindle and I’ll be fine.

Waiting with bated breath.

P.S. We actually did get stuck for quite a while in It’s a Small World. The music never stopped. Oh the horror.

I’m way late to this party. Discovered this thread today. Love it! So far no plans to sail a Beast class ship but sure is a fun read.

Have been cruising Celebrity lately but still consider myself Royal Loyal. Our first “real” cruise was on Grandeur. (Not counting Sea Escape, which later sank. No, it wasn’t my fault.)

I too have a DDH and have been cruising solo for several years. Yes I miss the fancy suites, but give me a teeny balcony and a Kindle and I’ll be fine.

Waiting with bated breath.

P.S. We actually did get stuck for quite a while in It’s a Small World. The music never stopped. Oh the horror.

Sorry to ask but what’s DDH mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to ask but what’s DDH mean?

Don't be sorry. I don't understand half of what all of these abbreviations mean. I'm on a dozen other forums, and this is the only forum I'm on that people don't take the time to type out what they mean and expect you to know what their abbreviations mean. Dear Divorced Husband? Dedicated Deck Hand? Who the F**k knows!?!

Rant over.

Have a nice day.

BTW: Hucifer, good stuff!

Don't be sorry. I don't understand half of what all of these abbreviations mean. I'm on a dozen other forums, and this is the only forum I'm on that people don't take the time to type out what they mean and expect you to know what their abbreviations mean. Dear Divorced Husband? Dedicated Deck Hand? Who the F**k knows!?!

Rant over.

Have a nice day.

BTW: Hucifer, good stuff!

Thank you! Now I don’t feel like I’m the only one here who is out of the abbreviation loop.

Yes, I agree that Hucifer is a very good read. Can’t wait for more!

And here I was under the impression that Michigan had a four season climate; pre-winter, winter, post-winter and mud. Good to know that it's only cold for 6 months out of the year. Waiting to read all about Day 3.5 ;)

Actually, Michigan has only 2 seasons ..... winter and construction!

My husband of 53 years is very recently departed. Our kids and grandkids are going with me on a cruise in the spring. I just know he would have loved that! He’ll be watching from above, as your DDH will be. Hugs to you.

No. 1 I love you

No. 2 MacDonald wrecked the Doobie Bros.

No. 3 I would offer to join your next cruise and be weird together but nowadays that would get me fired from any job I don't have or even from retirement. ahhh well.

Great job sweetie.