Just off the Anthem and had a cool surprise

dvond

Will write a full review later in week but when we were attached to the free wifi, we were able to imessage each other as well as others at home for no charge with airplane mode on.

Also the news app on my iphone worked as well as downloading my subscribed podcasts.

We did not buy wifi access, all above was free

Hope this helps someone

Will write a full review later in week but when we were attached to the free wifi, we were able to imessage each other as well as others at home for no charge with airplane mode on.

Also the news app on my iphone worked as well as downloading my subscribed podcasts.

We did not buy wifi access, all above was free

Hope this helps someone

Did you buy the RC app? Did this work at sea?

Thanks

It was also the same for us on my cruise. We all had downloaded the Royal IQ app and paid the $7.95 package to be able to text and call through the app but I noticed on the first night I was getting iMessage (iMessage is iPhone's WiFi texting app) texts from friends back home even with the phone on airplane mode. It took my family a little longer to figure that out but I was able to keep in touch with friends back home the entire trip. I could receive pictures but couldn't send them.

I did end up turning notifications off for my social media apps after getting notifications and reflectively tapping to see what the notification was, only to have the app spin and not connect.

On our cruise on the Anthem this past week, we noticed that some notifications (Android phone) were bleeding through, such as MLB and NHL notifications, some Twitter notifications and a few others. I didn't try texting through Android's texting, and my news feeds weren't coming through. It made my son happy he could get the NY Rangers hockey scores even though we couldn't see the game.

FWIW I noticed the same thing happened on NCL last year out of Boston. Not sure why it happens, but it just does.

I have an i phone and I know how to text. Are you saying that if I have the Royal IQ app I just text as I would on land using the usual message icon

Yes. You download the app before you go and once on line you connect to Royal WiFi which enables the app. It’s limited acces WiFi and just enables the app but somehow it also enables iMessage. I had Vroom on my phone but my husband only had the Royal app connected and he was able to iMessage me and receive messages too while in airplane mode.

I have an i phone and I know how to text. Are you saying that if I have the Royal IQ app I just text as I would on land using the usual message icon

Yes, but just one clarification. With an iPhone, as long as iMessage is turned on text messages with other iPhone users are sent as iMessage. Texts with others are standard text messages sent through your cell phone service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can download apps on the ships wifi - Android or iPhone. Both my wife and I forgot to down the ROYA IQ app prior and we were able to download it via the ship wifi. Heck I dowloaded a bunch of games on my iPhone while at sea, my phone even downloaded the latest IOS update. I only paid the the charge for ROYAL IQ and not the full wifi. I also noticed that YouTube.com worked.. sometimes the videos wouldn't load and I would have to reload the page and it would work.

iMessage is an Apple to Apple (iPhone, iPad, Mac) texting service that comes standard on those devices and is sent via data. Any use of iMessage to send messages to non-Apple devices, such as Android phones, will only transmit via a cellular connection. Apple has not created an iMessage app for Android though other data messaging apps (such as WhatsApp) may also have the same data bleed through.

You dont need the app to use imessage, my wofe and son texted all week without it and just connected to wifi

iMessage is an Apple to Apple (iPhone, iPad, Mac) texting service that comes standard on those devices and is sent via data. Any use of iMessage to send messages to non-Apple devices, such as Android phones, will only transmit via a cellular connection. Apple has not created an iMessage app for Android though other data messaging apps (such as WhatsApp) may also have the same data bleed through.

I wonder if there's a way we can send text messages between Android phones and iPhones, as Android phones doesn't have iMessage ...

Did anyone try WhatsApp, did it work without purchasing the VOOM package?

But what is iMessage. That is what I am not clear on. I send messages all the time from my i phone. Am I using i message. Is that a special app?

No special app

When you send a text message, it is either sent as iMessage or SMS (cellular text service). Assuming you have iMessage turned on in your settings, if it is with another Apple device it will be iMessage. If it is with a non-Apple device it will be SMS.

Look at your messages. If your sent messages are blue, it’s iMessage. If they are green, it’s SMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if there's a way we can send text messages between Android phones and iPhones, as Android phones doesn't have iMessage ...

Did anyone try WhatsApp, did it work without purchasing the VOOM package?

I think someone reported that Google Voice worked - so you can use that with anyone else.