Transatlantic Cruise Questions

danny8826

Hello,

We haven't done a Transatlantic Cruise and are thinking of trying one.

Is the water rough in the Atlantic Ocean during April when cruising from the US to Europe?

Would you please share your experience if you have done one?

We are thinking of either the Navigator or the Jewel.

Thank you.

Danny

We did the T/A 2 years ago on Celebrity, hard to say how the seas will be but we enjoyed the trip. Beware that you will be resetting your watch quite a bit as you travel east. We stopped at the Azore's and then to Portugal and Spain, I really like the history and tours. We flew from Barcelona to Amsterdam then to DTW on the way home, long day of flying.

J.

We have done three Transatlantics and one transpacific. I prefer a spring crossing because you have more daylight in the spring versus fall and your body clock is pretty much adjusted by the time the ship arrives in Europe. This is esp good ifyou plan to spend time in Europe also.

The seas have been generally like glass which was a surprise to me. We had only one rocky day in the Mediterranean around Gibraltar.

Be sure to get on your roll call if you book a TA. They can be very helpful. The only time I go on a roll call is for the longer cruises.

You will love it!

I have only done one transatlantic and it was in the spring. It was surprisingly smooth with good weather but that might be down to luck. I don't believe this is something you can rely on.

It did get colder and more windy during cruise so that is something to bear in mind.

We did a 16 day Med/TA in November once and the entire crossing was very smooth. We had booked a mid OV cabin on a lower deck thinking that would offer better stability at night. If I did it again that would not be my cabin of choice.......would go with a balcony cabin and enjoy some fresh air in the cabin once and a while. Also.....some nice ports on some TA's......we stopped in Funchal and Palma de Mallorca and St. Maarten before docking in Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have only done one transAtlantic, an eastbound, in early May a few years back (have to wait 11 more months for my first westbound) and it was the smoothest seas I've ever had on ANY cruise. This, however, cannot be predicted.

I do know that certain parts of the Atlantic can get very angry, but even in the Bay of Biscay at the end of the crossing, we certainly weren't getting tossed around as is normal for that area.

After our Caribbean ports on the front end of the trip, we had eight sea days crossing, which flew by, we were having so much fun. I also encourage you to get involved in your roll call. Unless you choose to become a total sloth and spend the entire time reading, napping and "exhaling", lots of people do these crossings over and over again and getting yourself involved with a group of them can be loads of fun, but that's your choice.

The worst part of the trip? Losing an hour a day for 5 of our sea days ☹️

Hello,

Is the water rough in the Atlantic Ocean during April when cruising from the US to Europe?

Thank you.

Danny

We've done several crossings, both east and west. In April, you won't have to worry about Hurricanes. It will probably be a little cooler in the spring, so a jacket is usually necessary on deck.

We book a cabin on starboard (right side) for east bound sailings and port (left side) for westbound sailings. To get more sun. :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

We are currently booked on this cruise (Jewel of the Seas, 14 nights San Juan to Rome for April 27, 2019 sailing).

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/14NightSanJuanToRomeCruise-JW14T150?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sDateMin=2019-04-01&sDateMax=2019-06-30&sailDate=04%2F27%2F2019

I’ve booked my first TA on Jewel in November from Rome to San Juan. Am I correct I assuming that I should leave my bathing suit at home?

Not at all. Jewel has a covered Solarium, plus it could get warm enough to enjoy the outside pools. Last year the weather was the worst of our several transatlantic cruises. Previously, we had enjoyed transatlantic cruises with several days of sunny, 70 degree F weather.

Hello,

Would you please share your experience if you have done one?

We are thinking of either the Navigator or the Jewel.

Thank you.

Danny

Hi Danny,

I have only been on one Transatlantic Cruise (14 day Ruby Princess from Fort Lauderdale to Rome in mid-April) and the seas were smooth and calm. The weather was in the high 60's and a little breezy up in the pool area. However, by chance, we had booked starboard mini-suite and it was sunny and warm all day on the balcony (southern exposure) I would definitely recommend a starboard balcony cabin for an eastbound crossing!

We also were very active on the Roll Call....we met some great people and joined several private tours/excursions in Barcelona, Provence, Florence and Rome.

Such a great cruise....would love to book another one, perhaps on Celebrity next time?

Have a wonderful time!

Susan