Credit on account at end of week

hockeymom15

Why is that the customer's problem? If the cost of doing business for Carnival is to great a burden maybe they should just close the doors. Whatever the cost of cutting a check is shouldn't be a concern for a customer and definitely shouldn't be the reason for stealing the customer's money.

Carnival is doing exactly what their policy has said for many, many, many years. Taking the Computer Nerd's approach, if the loss of less than $10.00 "is to(sic) great a burden" for the customer, maybe those cruisers should just close the doors to their cruising - or go to another line that has policies to their liking. Orrrrr, Carnival could change their policy to one that charges these customers a cash transaction service fee, or better yet, a $5.91 service charge for cutting checks for less that $10.00. Alright, that's the ticket. $5.91 service charge for checks less than $10.00. There you go, problem solved. Then Carnival can use those check fees to donate to St. Jude's.

Wow.... I can't believe all the whining going on over such a small amount and eventhough Carnival STATES this in their contract and policies. There are other options (Cruiselines) you can consider if this bothers people so much!!

I would suggest that Carnival not sell these types of people the Cheers package because they probably would demand a refund for the number of drinks they missed the 15 limit by on any given day.

Never got close to 15 drinks nor is 15 what I am prepaying for when purchasing Cheers. It’s a limit, not a goal (for most people). However, if I paid for Cheers, I would expect to be able to get my max 15 alcoholic drinks since that’s what I signed up for. If I found out at number 14 that they gave the last one away to someone else because they didn’t think I would mind since it was only one more, then there would be an issue. It was still mine. Just like my $9.99 is.

Wow.... I can't believe all the whining going on over such a small amount and eventhough Carnival STATES this in their contract and policies. There are other options (Cruiselines) you can consider if this bothers people so much!!

Yes I know. I am very much looking forward to my Edge Cruise. $5 here, $7 there. I wonder how much Carnival has donated of other people’s money and gotten the write off for?

It’s the principle that there’s no simple, fast way to be able to get our money refunded when we overpay. I should have the option of getting all of my money back (no matter how small) or making a donation. Thankfully a lot of us are aware of the policy but many people aren’t.

I still don’t see why they can’t issue a check for $9 but can FedEx me another gift card for $17.70. How much more does FedEx cost vs sending a check in regular mail? Didn’t they used to give you a check with your final statement in the mailbox before you left the ship or am I imagining things?

Carnival is doing exactly what their policy has said for many, many, many years. Taking the Computer Nerd's approach, if the loss of less than $10.00 "is to(sic) great a burden" for the customer, maybe those cruisers should just close the doors to their cruising - or go to another line that has policies to their liking. Orrrrr, Carnival could change their policy to one that charges these customers a cash transaction service fee, or better yet, a $5.91 service charge for cutting checks for less that $10.00. Alright, that's the ticket. $5.91 service charge for checks less than $10.00. There you go, problem solved. Then Carnival can use those check fees to donate to St. Jude's.

So is the cost of cutting a check more than the fees Carnival has to pay for customers that use credit cards? I bet they would rather have cash paying customers than ones that use CCs, no? Maybe they should charge fees for CCs like some gas stations do. Have a cash price and CC price for onboard accounts. I mean, as long as we’re talking service fees.........

Computer Nerd,

Are you truly this crass, arrogant and self-absorbed or just trying to bust everyone. To whine and moan about a few bucks being donated to charity is at best pathetic.

Maybe if you would stop playing the emotional card, you would see the problem has nothing to do with the charity. The problem is Carnival, in effect, is taking your money, without your consent, and giving it away. Doesn't matter who they give it to. The fact that they don't have your explicit permission to do so practically makes it theft.

To think that I am whining and moaning (while doing neither as I ensure I'm not put into a position for that to happen to me) over a few bucks shows you truly don't understand or don't care about the problem. You can pretend Robin Hood was a great guy, I just see him as another thief.

Orrrr, like the non-smokers, we can just complain so much that the piss poor policy gets overturned. ;)

So is the cost of cutting a check more than the fees Carnival has to pay for customers that use credit cards? I bet they would rather have cash paying customers than ones that use CCs, no? Maybe they should charge fees for CCs like some gas stations do. Have a cash price and CC price for onboard accounts. I mean, as long as we’re talking service fees.........

You really seem to be having a problem keeping you apples and oranges separate.

You really seem to be having a problem keeping you apples and oranges separate.

Not at all. If you think they should charge cash customers a $5.91 "service charge" for issuing a check or a "Cash transaction service fee" because the cost is too much, then perhaps they should charge fees for using a CC. Those have to add up to the tens of thousands of dollars. It costs them nothing when we use cash, but they pay a percentage for each transaction placed on a CC. So how is it that we should be penalized for using cash? I have yet to see one place that charges more for a cash transaction vs CC.

I'm really trying to stay away from the drama; however, I do need to state this to clear up any misconceptions by persons who have no understanding of corporate finance/accounting and tax. Carnival DOES NOT get a tax deduction for the contribution of customer's funds remaining of less than $10. If you would like to know what the accounting entries are for this, you can let me know and I'll tell you. This does not and can not appear as a corporate deductible contribution on their returns. The IRS would be all over them and most corporations are hyperdiligent to prevent that.

It’s not. But there is a cost to cut a check. Keep in mind that their business today assumes a bulk of their customers will pay with a cc so the prices are already meant to include profit for the cc surcharge. So that’s already accounted for. Yes, if you are a cash customer then they make a bit of extra profit on you. (Which is why I hardly ever pay cash, if I’m already paying prices to include the cc surcharge I may as well use a rewards card with cash back to get some of that credited back to me). But for a large business, cutting a single check to an individual 1 time does have an accounting cost.

I do contract work for several businesses. Small businesses don’t care, they are fine issuing checks. But most of the medium sized businesses and most have forced us to get on direct deposit because it saves their accounting dept time and money. When you get to a business as large as carnival I would think that only increases the work and cost.

Also, keep in mind that cc surcharges are only a few percentage points. So say you prepay for cheers and your gratuities (as many cash customers do) and put down $200; of which you spend $100. So you are saving them $2-$3 in cc surcharges. My guess is they would as soon have it be a cc charge instead of cash to make the accounting easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm really trying to stay away from the drama; however, I do need to state this to clear up any misconceptions by persons who have no understanding of corporate finance/accounting and tax. Carnival DOES NOT get a tax deduction for the contribution of customer's funds remaining of less than $10. If you would like to know what the accounting entries are for this, you can let me know and I'll tell you. This does not and can not appear as a corporate deductible contribution on their returns. The IRS would be all over them and most corporations are hyperdiligent to prevent that.

Well that’s good to know. Then they can give me a receipt for making a donation or give me my money back.

It’s not. But there is a cost to cut a check. Keep in mind that their business today assumes a bulk of their customers will pay with a cc so the prices are already meant to include profit for the cc surcharge. So that’s already accounted for. Yes, if you are a cash customer then they make a bit of extra profit on you. (Which is why I hardly ever pay cash, if I’m already paying prices to include the cc surcharge I may as well use a rewards card with cash back to get some of that credited back to me). But for a large business, cutting a single check to an individual 1 time does have an accounting cost.

I do contract work for several businesses. Small businesses don’t care, they are fine issuing checks. But most of the medium sized businesses and most have forced us to get on direct deposit because it saves their accounting dept time and money. When you get to a business as large as carnival I would think that only increases the work and cost.

Also, keep in mind that cc surcharges are only a few percentage points. So say you prepay for cheers and your gratuities (as many cash customers do) and put down $200; of which you spend $100. So you are saving them $2-$3 in cc surcharges. My guess is they would as soon have it be a cc charge instead of cash to make the accounting easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with the Direct Deposit thing. My company has been doing it a long time. It also cuts down on lost checks and things like that. I actually love DD.

Except if I prepay things, it’s almost always with gift cards so that’s cash to them and they are saving even more. Not to mention my cruise fare is also paid with GCs (unless there’s a special like the Amex one but that’s not too often). Typically my bill is more than $100 so the cost of them to issue me a check is still less than any CC surcharges would have been.

One of the things that gets me is they can issue a GC via Fed Ex for any amount over $10, yet they balk at mailing a check via snail mail for less. Doesn’t FedEx cost a lot more than a stamp? And I swear they used to issue a check before you left the ship. Seems like it would be easier to take care of while still there and not have to deal with mail. Plus if we are truly in the minority, an almost extinct species as some believe, it shouldn’t be a monumental or expensive task.

I totally agree with the Direct Deposit thing. My company has been doing it a long time. It also cuts down on lost checks and things like that. I actually love DD.

Except if I prepay things, it’s almost always with gift cards so that’s cash to them and they are saving even more. Not to mention my cruise fare is also paid with GCs (unless there’s a special like the Amex one but that’s not too often). Typically my bill is more than $100 so the cost of them to issue me a check is still less than any CC surcharges would have been.

One of the things that gets me is they can issue a GC via Fed Ex for any amount over $10, yet they balk at mailing a check via snail mail for less. Doesn’t FedEx cost a lot more than a stamp? And I swear they used to issue a check before you left the ship. Seems like it would be easier to take care of while still there and not have to deal with mail. Plus if we are truly in the minority, an almost extinct species as some believe, it shouldn’t be a monumental or expensive task.

Since you seem to know to the penny what the balance on your account will be and, with you being in the minority, it seems like it would be easier for you and for Carnival if you take care of it while you are still there and not have to deal with mail or a check. Many of those using credit cards also start out by adding those nice 10% discount gift cards to their account and the credit card is really their method of settling that account at the end. They have taken responsibility for settling their accounts before leaving the ship. You have the ability to do that as well, but for some reason chose not to. Carnival has told you how they will deal with your choice, but you still chose it. That's your choice even though you know the consequences.

And, by the way, gift cards and cash are two totally different things that are dealt with in a different manner. To make it more complicated, most gift cards are purchased with credit cards making the financial line a lot longer.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Firemanbob's Wife -- Normally, I am in agreement with you; however, in this instance I have to say (1) you know their policy, and (2) you have a way to get your money at the end of the cruise. If you choose not to, you are choosing to make that donation. JMHO.

BTW, for such small donations, you can take the deduction on your taxes. Just save all of your documentation and a copy of Carnival's policy as your support. Every IRS auditor will accept that. The rules regarding stringent documentation of charitable contributions are for those over $25.

Since you seem to know to the penny what the balance on your account will be and, with you being in the minority, it seems like it would be easier for you and for Carnival if you take care of it while you are still there and not have to deal with mail or a check. Many of those using credit cards also start out by adding those nice 10% discount gift cards to their account and the credit card is really their method of settling that account at the end. They have taken responsibility for settling their accounts before leaving the ship. You have the ability to do that as well, but for some reason chose not to.

I’ve already told you why I won’t give them a CC. What exactly am I in the minority of and how is it easier for me to stand in line the last night to get my money back vs having a check mailed? It’s actually easier for me to do the latter.

But since that’s how they want to do it, I’ll be sure to make sure my balance is just over the $10 threshold so they have to spend money to send it to me. It’s already in the cost of doing business as we have already discussed just like CC fees. It costs them no more to issue a check for $9.99 vs $10.10

It is still my opinion that it’s not right for them to donate funds under $10. If they would give me an option say during my online check in or even in the HubApp under my folio to do so, then I may consider it and I’m sure many would. Being there’s no choice I’ll take the money.

I’ve already told you why I won’t give them a CC. What exactly am I in the minority of and how is it easier for me to stand in line the last night to get my money back vs having a check mailed? It’s actually easier for me to do the latter.

But since that’s how they want to do it, I’ll be sure to make sure my balance is just over the $10 threshold so they have to spend money to send it to me. It’s already in the cost of doing business as we have already discussed just like CC fees. It costs them no more to issue a check for $9.99 vs $10.10

It is still my opinion that it’s not right for them to donate funds under $10. If they would give me an option say during my online check in or even in the HubApp under my folio to do so, then I may consider it and I’m sure many would. Being there’s no choice I’ll take the money.

So now you would be willing to stand in a line to put in a little money to make sure that your remaining balance is over $10.00 but not stand in line to get your refund if it is less that $10.00. That answers an awful lot of questions for me and it really tells everyone all they need to know about you. Have a great time on all your cruises.

So now you would be willing to stand in a line to put in a little money to make sure that your remaining balance is over $10.00 but not stand in line to get your refund if it is less that $10.00. That answers an awful lot of questions for me and it really tells everyone all they need to know about you. Have a great time on all your cruises.

Ever hear of a kiosk? Usually no line. And where did I say I would add money by standing in line (besides early on when I had to due to my drink not posting to my account)? Go back and read the post you just quoted. Says even more about yourself.

Time for the moderator to remove this thread...Too controversial (tongue in cheek).... Seriously they just removed a thread regarding the increase in Carnival stock prices due to favorable breaks for cruise lines with new tax legislation. Help keep future cruises prices in check!! Saw nothing wrong with the post since it sited a news source thread and wasn't OP opinion. Can't even one person comment , even it has a bit of a political slant, remain without being attacked when there was really no hurt to any party (from a cruising perspective). Whats so bad with Cruise companies getting some tax breaks???? Interestingly...they just deleted the post and didn't even move to the "Cruise News" forum???

Firemanbob's Wife -- Normally, I am in agreement with you; however, in this instance I have to say (1) you know their policy, and (2) you have a way to get your money at the end of the cruise. If you choose not to, you are choosing to make that donation. JMHO.

BTW, for such small donations, you can take the deduction on your taxes. Just save all of your documentation and a copy of Carnival's policy as your support. Every IRS auditor will accept that. The rules regarding stringent documentation of charitable contributions are for those over $25.

That is the whole problem. You put the problem onto the customer to ensure they know how much is on their account at the end of the cruise so they don't get ripped off. Comparatively speaking, what if Walmart round every bill up to the next $5 increment and gave that to charity. You would be allowed to say no and get your change back but you may not know they are doing it, you may have a whiny kid you are attending to, or you just may be an airhead. Why should the onus be on the customer to get back what is rightfully theirs to begin with???

And remember, it used to be $5. Now it's $10. Pretty soon it could hit $20 and then $50 and who knows. Once the door is open, people keep trying to open it wider and wider.