Is an ocean view widow cabin worth it?

ExitPrints23

We started with inside, then got a deal with the balcony and never looked back. It was a balcony every cruise. Last September we took a quick unplanned last minute cruise on Breakaway and got an inside cabin. My husband absolutely hated it..

Now we are taking a Holiday cruise on Gem. The prices are astronomical but we really wanted a holiday cruise. We are cruising from NY so 2 days out and 2 days back are too cold to be on a balcony. Plus Gem has great outdoor decks with a lot of places to sit and relax in a good weather.

My husband didn't want to hear about booking inside but a balcony was out of reach for us. So for the first time we went with unobstructed OV. I hope we will not regret it.

See my previous post. You won't regret it .... it's on deck 8!!

We've sailed in an inside cabin twice, and also in OV and Balcony. I hated having to go outside to see what the weather was doing, though I loved the quiet darkness. My preference is balcony, but we're happy with OV, especially if the cruise is shorter.

We had an inside cabin on our first cruise, then a porthole ov the next. The upgrade from 1 to 2 perks was our biggest incentive for switching to ov, as it allowed us to take advantage of 3rd/4th guest free for that sailing, as well as keeping ubp (there are 3 of us in the cabin). That said, we actually came to like that little porthole, watching the ocean go by and the natural light it provided. And for that particular sailing at least, it wasn't much more than an inside stateroom. It was worth it for us. If we were trying to keep costs down on a future trip I would probably choose an ov over an inside again.

When we have inside cabin we put the tv on the bow channel. Easy to see when it's daylight.

This!

Always had OV or Balcony even when traveling on my own. This year my 1st Cruise with NCL in Studios and put TV to bridge channel before i went to bed (dont forget to set it to mute). Woke up every morning to "natural" light and still ask myself why i paid so much money on former Cruises 😉

Personally I would not pay much if any more for an ocean view than an inside. If I want to go cheap I get an inside, otherwise if I am going to pay more I am getting a balcony or a suite. Ocean view is pretty much the only category I don't book. Just isn't really an added value to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on whether it is worth it to you personally. I always go cheap as I can. A room is a room to me. But I do fall prey to the "ooh, what if I could get an upgrade?". I upgraded from an inside to an ocean view 60 days before sailing. I cost me a total of $50 for two of us plus they gave me a $50 OB credit. So basically it cost nothing. I have seen this, the closer they get to sailing, they want to sell more cheap seats. So this may work for you, wait until you see a price drop and call them.

• 4 months later...
Hi all!

We’re traveling on the Gem in a few weeks and after saving a little extra dough pre cruise we called to find out if we could pay for a room upgrade. We have the opportunity to upgrade from an inside cabin to an ocean view (not balcony) for a few hundred dollars. My partner and I are waffling back and forth, so I’d love to hear from you. Any one out there with strong opinions either way? Should we go for it, or save our money for Bingo or a shore excursion instead?

I had a ocean view on my last cruise and loved it. It was chilly so I knew a balcony was a waste of money. The ocean view was nice, could watch the waves, the weather etc. I would always try to book an ocean view if the price is very close to an inside. I travel solo.

Hi all!

We’re traveling on the Gem in a few weeks and after saving a little extra dough pre cruise we called to find out if we could pay for a room upgrade. We have the opportunity to upgrade from an inside cabin to an ocean view (not balcony) for a few hundred dollars. My partner and I are waffling back and forth, so I’d love to hear ... I travel solo.

But, you aren't doing solo next on the Gem, going with a partner ?

We are on the Gem later next month ... not sure which sailing you are on, but definitely NOT worth - IMHO - extra several hundred for a paid/direct upgrade. Bid a little and take a chance with the Upgrade Advantage offer, perhaps - some of the OV categories are on the GTY basis anyway (not the Sail Away "rock bottom" rates)

OV is very, slightly bigger than the Insides, bathroom sized the same even for the Balcony & if you don't plan to sit out there a lot, save the money for something else (or, cruise more often instead.) Overpriced Bingo with poor payouts, no thanks ... you are better off "drinking" that away or go do Specialty Dining, etc.

As always, YMMV.

I would go with a window over inside if it is about $10 a day per person. Windows are often salt encrusted and hard to see out of clearly. I try to get insides on or close to the same deck as the outdoor promenade deck if I feel the need to see out.

Edited by coaster