Ss explorer, grand crossing 11/24/17

ronrick1943

Really enjoying your reports.

I am getting slightly worried about people posting about cool/tepid/lukewarm food, and this is across a variety of ships. We will expect food to be hot and as I have said on another thread, if food isn't the correct temperature it is just asking for problems, as bugs love food that hasn't been cooked enough to reach a safe temperature to kill them of, or if food has been sitting around getting cold.

We will, politely ask for a completely new meal if any element is not hot [if it is meant to be hot] and will expect this request to be met.

A dose of food poisoning is the last thing we want.

It was only the first night in Prime 7, and it was only the 2 sides we order. The main and app's were hot. Every other restaurant here on the ship all food has been hot, even the buffet. So I think you'll be alright with the food. We're going back to Prime7 so well let you know. Rick

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Great reports and thank you for the info on the Grand suite. If you could include photos of the balcony I would love to see them!

The chair you mention - sounds like one we had in our Oceania Suite on Riviera several years ago...looked lovely and was torture to sit in. Table for 4 is perfect. We have had a table for 6 and that is a lot of people for dinner.

I have to say I was giggling - with very old memories - when you mentioned the sled rides in Funchal. I did that once. 1952 and I was 10. Then it seemed very exciting. Now - having seen them many times - that is way too much excitement for me! Glad you had fun. Hopefully you saw the Botanic Garden too? It is lovely.

How many sea days do you have ahead of you right now? Are there lecture series worth going to?

We'll try on the photos but no guarante, but let me tell you it's really a big wrap around deck with lots of room. For a sail away party could easy hold 20-25 people if you wanted.

Thank you for the information on the aft Grand Suite. We are on a Grand Suite on the Mariner and although the balcony is much smaller, the suite itself is more spacious. Agree 100% about that chair -- completely useless. Due to the fact that the TS has sailed Oceania, I could not help but compare the equivalent to the Grand Suite on the Riviera. IMO, there is no comparison -- both a large suite and a large balcony.

Thank you for the information on the aft Grand Suite. We are on a Grand Suite on the Mariner and although the balcony is much smaller, the suite itself is more spacious. Agree 100% about that chair -- completely useless. Due to the fact that the TS has sailed Oceania, I could not help but compare the equivalent to the Grand Suite on the Riviera. IMO, there is no comparison -- both a large suite and a large balcony.

Jackie - I am not sure I understand your post because there is no Grand Suite on Riviera or Marina. Suites on those vessels are Owners Suites/Vista Suites/Oceania Suites.

I was in the Owners Suite for a TA on Riviera and the balcony was tiny. AND crammed with heavy furniture which made it seem even smaller. Two weeks ago our Vista Suite on Riviera was spacious - but as everyone knows, suites in the bow have to have furniture lashed down when sailing and the wind is fierce anyway. What RonRick says about 785 - Grand Suite - on the Explorer really makes me VERY happy we have 784 for our Miami/LA cruise. We plan (hope maybe!) to spend evenings on that terrace watching the Pacific sunset. Something we lack sadly in Switzerland!!

ANOTHER DAY

It's morning and a sea day, my favorite!* Got up late this morning around 9:30, even got the crew a little worried.* We have a great team for our suite.* Both cabin steward and help have done a great job, never need to ask for anything and suite kept clean.* Butler is doing a nice job, asked about our schedule and wanted to know if we wanted breakfast.* Told them we have no schedule, we get up when we want so not to worry.**

No beakfast this morning, got dressed and went to the coffee cafe.* They do have good coffee, had a little snack.* It's really not morning, more like early afternoon.*

So it's about time for lunch, and it's the Galley Lunch.* Oh no, not other buffet.* As we walked into the CR, staff was on spot with a nice welcome.* Open seating but they help you get a table you'd like.* Nice room set up with the "R" ice craving.* First off to the sea food area, nicly done.* Started off with crab legs, large shrimp, different types of sashimi.* They had a few other things, but not that interesting to me.* Next off to the galley, more cold meats and salad, after that hot carved meats, pasta and a whole lot more.* Big bread and cheese display.* Everything looked good and it was a nice way of doing it, looked great.* I just had some veal, rice and some bread. All good.* However when you got to the dessert table, it was a outstanding display that tasted as good as it looked.* I have to say again the staff is really good, you couldn't ask for a better. You can see they really work hard and get the job done right.

Ron's off to the spa, the spa itself looks like a great spa and the people at the front desk seem like they know what they are doing.* Took us on a short tour the other day.* More when Ron gets back from the spa.

He's back, said they were very professional and didn't try to sell him anything at all.* Over all very good experience and will be going again next sea day.

Tonight is Pacific Rim, we'll be eating early. Just got back from dinner, everything was better than good.* Presentation, timing of service and the staff wouldn't have been better.* We ordered a few items and shared, best way to do it so you can taste more.* The potstickers stood out as appetizer and the lamb chop as a main were outstanding, but all was good.* Everything served at the proper temperature.* We'll be going again.

Once again we went to the show tonight, and yes it was really good.* It was Jeri Sager with the Regent Signature Orchestra, both good!* Even the Constellation Theater looks like and feels like a real theater.

Tomorrow another tour, Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal.

I know I starting to sound like a cheerleader for Regent, not true - I'm just telling you the way we see it.* A few little things, but on a whole it's been a nice cruise so far.

Rick & Ron

Sent from my Galaxy Text

Ron & Rick, really appreciate you guys taking the time to post your impressions. I bounce back and forth between your and wishiwastraveling threads on your Explorer cruise.

I truly believe that posts like these are helping people make decisions about taking a Regent TA cruise. It also provides comparisons between other cruise lines that you have used previously.

It appears there will be several sea days in a row when you start the transatlantic portion. I am looking forward to your impressions during this portion of the cruise and how the ship handles the waves. In addition, with this many sea days coming up in a row it will be interesting to find out if the on-board activities will be enjoyable enough without as many port stops.

Safe journey and thanks again for sharing!

Ron & Rick, really appreciate you guys taking the time to post your impressions. I bounce back and forth between your and wishiwastraveling threads on your Explorer cruise.

I truly believe that posts like these are helping people make decisions about taking a Regent TA cruise. It also provides comparisons between other cruise lines that you have used previously.

It appears there will be several sea days in a row when you start the transatlantic portion. I am looking forward to your impressions during this portion of the cruise and how the ship handles the waves. In addition, with this many sea days coming up in a row it will be interesting to find out if the on-board activities will be enjoyable enough without as many port stops.

Safe journey and thanks again for sharing!

Thanks, hope these help. We were told the worst is over, we didn't think it was that bad over the last few days. But some did think it was rocking around. They say it's going to get a lot warmer in the next few days. It's been cool, but not cold. As far as actively during the crossing looks like a lot of stuff will be going on....but to be truthful we don't do a lot of that, to me just sitting around doing nothing, reading, spa and just sitting on the deck watching the ocean. Being retired I have a lot of practice doing nothing and enjoying it. But I'll look around and let you know what others maybe doing.

Rick & Ron

Hello from the Explorer!

This is Ron from Ronrick1943.

Just wanted to make some comments about the suite. We are in 785. Its perfect for us. Although the chair Rick mentioned is useless! The only issue for me is the dining table. Its location is in front of the sliding glass door out to the deck. You physically have to squeeze by the chairs to get out. If they got rid of the useless chair and moved the table 2ft all would be good. Or just move the chair 2ft, However there is the useless side table as well.

Someone mentioned the deck! Its huge! You could get 3 tables for 4 easily on the deck and still have room! It tells me cocktail party a must. Sailing through the canal great party deck!

I told pics with my phone. I did not bring laptop so unable to download into tablet now.

Any other questions let me know!

Ron

"Decorator dream = decorator error" ?? Sounds that way to me. I would just move the chair and the table and have done with it. ;p

I shall have to start planning a big party when we eventually get onto the Explorer!! It is a long way off.

What did you do in the Azores?

"Decorator dream = decorator error" ?? Sounds that way to me. I would just move the chair and the table and have done with it. ;p

I shall have to start planning a big party when we eventually get onto the Explorer!! It is a long way off.

What did you do in the Azores?

IMO, the furniture is simply too big for the space. We did have a party in the suite (very cramped with only 4 couples). We couldn't use the balcony (forward) due to winds but we all went outside and decided what type of things we could do on the balcony (make an ice skating of roller skating rink, etc.)

Rick, read on another thread that you are finding food on Regent better than Oceania. I almost fell on the floor. While I agree with you (except for Jacques which we love), food on Regent vs. Oceania is quite a discussion sometimes.

I believe that you will be on Mariner soon. Will that be a Grand Suite?

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise.

FIRST STOP, A GREAT DAY DOING NOTHING!

We docked* at Ponte Delgada in Portugal.* We decided not to tour and gave back our tickets to Destination Service.* *They made sure thats what we wanted to do.* I know what everybody thinks about the staff, but they are pleasant and informative to us.

Anyway we slept in this morning had a late breakfast at La Veranda, fresh fruit, eggs benedict and coffee.* Everything was good, service and the eggs wonderful.

Decided to go into town about a 10 minute walk, nice city to walk.* You just have to be careful of those little stones in the walk ways.* Slippery little suckers.* It started to rain so we got a covered table at a little cafe in the square, called Cafe Central.* Had a coffee and watched the world go by, people watching is great.* Both local and US tourists.* After a few minutes a little dog jumped up in a chair at our table and went to sleep for awhile.* The waiter told us he's a stray dog, they named central who spends most the afternoon at the cafe. We were ordering local empanadas so we ordered the dog one too.* He liked them better than us.

After about an hour we started our walk again.* Stopped in a little store and bought a couple of those famous roosters (there are many variations on the rooster story too long to go into here).* Google it if interested!*

Back to the ship for a late lunch.* Once on the ship it started to rain again.* Had lunch at the pool grill, service was excellent.* Ron had a Cuban sandwich with fries, very good, I had a burger just so so, not good and not bad.

We made an executive decision not to go to dinner tonight and ordered a large salad.* If you have a Butler you just can't order room service.* So the Butler handles it, set's it up.* Actually I like it that way, and since it not going to happen at home.....why not.* Forgot the salad was very good.

Went to The Constellation Theater tonight. The show called "World Beat" was a dance and song production from around the world.* Once again I was looking for just okay show.* It was a big surprise!* *It was really good and very entertaining.* Not just the show but the production, lighting, set's, music and costumes.* The dancers/singers were great. Yes we enjoyed the evening.**

The ship is nice and meets expectations, but it's the staff that makes a difference.**

That's it for today.*

*Rick & Ron

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A

Just finally getting caught up on all your reporting. Tell Daniela Rachel said hi. We have had issues in Prime 7 before as well. Not my favorite restaurant, but I am very picky about steak. They just need to get their act together a little more. Not sure why this keeps happening.

Enjoying your posts too. As confirmed Oceania fans, we thought the food on Explorer, particularly in the evenings, was often better. Especially Compass Rose, which consistently delivered hot tasty food, in a classy environment, with better lighting and with much more menu choice. Thought the speciality restaurants were about even overall.

Think Oceania’s buffet restaurant food, especially at breakfast, was much better, with more variety (especially breads, pastries, and fruit) and better presented hot food, although the environment in La Veranda is nice. We have always enjoyed the grill in the evenings on Oceania too. Also thought Oceania’s pool grill had the edge.

World Beat was a great show with a standing ovation (except for a few who rushed for the elevators). I was told this show has been very well received on Oceana. The Captain just announced the weather did not look good. Stay tuned. Our tours yesterday and today were adversely effected by rain. Our guide yesterday had great difficulty with the English language. Oh well. The Azores are still beautiful. Had a wonderful time. Dennis

Enjoying your posts too. As confirmed Oceania fans, we thought the food on Explorer, particularly in the evenings, was often better. Especially Compass Rose, which consistently delivered hot tasty food, in a classy environment, with better lighting and with much more menu choice. Thought the speciality restaurants were about even overall.

Think Oceania’s buffet restaurant food, especially at breakfast, was much better, with more variety (especially breads, pastries, and fruit) and better presented hot food, although the environment in La Veranda is nice. We have always enjoyed the grill in the evenings on Oceania too. Also thought Oceania’s pool grill had the edge.

Our opinion of Oceania's buffet restaurant is very low. We have significant (and in one case an experience with a dead clam that could have proved dangerous). While we like Oceania, we would not dine in that venue again. We also do not dine in the MDR. Won't go into more detail since this is a Regent thread.

Really happy that the TS acknowledges that the food (overall) is better than Oceania. However, my personal view is that Jacques on Oceania is better than Chartreuse.

OUT TO SEA

We were in port this morning, hard rain today.* The plan was to go into town and look around.* So after seeing how rain wasnt going to stop soon we stayed onboard.* Breakfast again in La Veranda, same as before.* Good service and food.* It's nice, they pretty much do everything for you.* Coffee right away, if you order from the grill they bring it to your table.**

Today was a trip to the gym, nice and not crowded (tomorrow is a sea day, first of four to come in a row) so we'll see tomorrow how it is.* Most of the day was taken up with reading, movies and talking to a few people we met on the ship.

Lunch, Prime 7.* A little bit of a line when we arrived, however we were seated pretty fast at a window over seeing the town.* We started with a chicken quesadilla , we shared one order which was more than enough and very good.* Now for some bad news,* we had baby back ribs with corn on cob and mashed potatoes.* Served cool to luke warm, not good.* They took it away and brought out another for us.* It was better but not really hot.* The ribs and sauce were very good.* The potatoes good, corn mushy, tasteless.* Dessert was cute, a tasting of everything in little cups.* I think most people may like, however wasn't for us. We had a fun lunch, and service was excellent.

This evening Butler at cocktail hour brought in chicken legs as a little snack.* Hot and tasty!*

Tonight is are first dinner at Chartreuse and won't be are last.* Not only is it a beautiful place at night, but OMG the food was spectacular and the service excellent.* Everything was done just right, the flavors spot on.* Now Jacques on Oceania is my favourite until now.* The presentation alone was something to write home about. This is a restaurant not to be missed when you cruise.

That's about it for tonight, tomorrow I'll go over some general information about the cruise.* In the morning we have another cooking class to attend, after that nothing on my calendar.* Ron will be off to the spa again and I do have an appointment with the cruise consultant.* Will we? A big maybe if they have the right cruise.* Right now we have 2 already booked with Regent and 1 booked on Oceania.

Rick & Ron

Sent from my Galaxy Tab a

Hi Rick & Ron,

Very pleased you are enjoying the Regent experience and little to complain about.

Good shout about the coffee as it has been the experience of others that it isn't great (my husband included) that you would have go to the (coffee connection, cabin) for a decent cup which would be before or after breakfast.

Also pleased that you are embracing the "buffet" selection, it's quite the set up and pretty good but also fabulous that you can have all meals in your suite when you want it.

Prime7

We also found the food (side dishes only) to be lukewarm...to cold and it seemed like the main dishes were cooked to order but wondered if the sides were ...well..on the side for too long too?

Glad you enjoyed the french cuisine, i wasn't a fan. :(

Really pleased you are enjoying the shows also finding things to occupy yourselves. Would be good to hear Ron's thoughts of the spa.

Hope you manage to fill the next few sea days and looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy the cooking class and hope to hear the update for the next cruise.

Pam.

We are just back from an Oceania cruise (Riviera) and I did not like the coffee served at breakfast at all. I finally sorted it though - got them to make me a double espresso and then add one normal coffee from the machine (not from the pot!) that was drinkable. you could try that I suppose.

Am really looking forward to what you have to say about the cooking class... Have fun!