Nautical terms

coevan

Okay, my friends -- who knows where these came from?

"Son of Gun"

"Freeze the balls off a brass monkey" (not being dirty, that's the real term)

I believe that a son of a gun was for the babies born on board ship - typically between the canons and the bulkheads - to stay out of the way.

#2 -

Canon Balls where stored in a pyramid inside a brass frame or tray known as a monkey - when it got really cold the brass would contract - thus spilling the balls - hence it was said to be so cold it would freeze the balls off the brass monkey.

How about "three sheets to the wind" - and/or "bung" - anybody know those ?

Anyone ?

Bueller ?

"I'll take nautical terms for 600 please Alex"

I believe that a son of a gun was for the babies born on board ship - typically between the canons and the bulkheads - to stay out of the way.

#2 -

Canon Balls where stored in a pyramid inside a brass frame or tray known as a monkey - when it got really cold the brass would contract - thus spilling the balls - hence it was said to be so cold it would freeze the balls off the brass monkey.

How about "three sheets to the wind" - and/or "bung" - anybody know those ?

Anyone ?

Bueller ?

"I'll take nautical terms for 600 please Alex"

Right on, Seabum - you know your stuff.

Three Sheets to the Wind - a ship caught with three sails (sheets) to the wind would wallow and stagger like a drunk.

Bung.....bung....got to think about that one. Oh yeah, a plug used to the stop a leak in the hull.

Very good Chief

Bungs are also used to seal barrels (Wine/Rum etc) - We have some from the Cruzan Rum distillery.

With the three sheets concept - sort of like the difference between heave-to and "heaving" LOL

Another item that's typically helpful aboard ship -

Port = Left = Odd number cabins = Red (less letters)

Starboard = Right = even number cabins = Green (more letters)

I've noticed on numerous ships the carpeting will be red (themed) on the port side and Blue or Green on the starboard side.

By the way - I found it fascinating how these terms originated (Port and Starboard) - it was my understanding that in days of old they would have a long rudder (or steering board) that came up along side the vessel -

Well this steering board would get damaged if the vessel tied up to the dock (or port) along that side.

Hence one side became the port side - and the other the steerboard side (which over time morphed into starboard)

Actually, a "rope" is a "line" with no set purpose. So, in the bosun's store, you will have a coil of "rope" not a coil of "line", while if it is taken out to be used for docking, it becomes a "mooring line" not a "mooring rope". Just like you buy rope to renew your halyard, but once it is a halyard, it is a line.

I think you corrected me before on that. My learning ability has perhaps faded at 59.

stairs are ladders

I thought that the physical back of the ship (that you can touch) is the stern.

I thought that if you walk towards the back of the ship the direction is aft.

Is that incorrect?(or too picky)

You are right. Stern & Bow are location, forward & aft are directions.

Another item that's typically helpful aboard ship -

Port = Left = Odd number cabins = Red (less letters)

Starboard = Right = even number cabins = Green (more letters)

I've noticed on numerous ships the carpeting will be red (themed) on the port side and Blue or Green on the starboard side.

To continue the theme of more/less letters. In terms of channel markers,

can = port and cone = starboard.

OK, just for the fun of it, I have been a lifelong sailor and Captain. This is not a contentious post just having some fun with words and terms.

you are on a ship, not a boat

The front of the ship is fore or forward

The back of the ship is in the stern or aft

The bathrooms are Heads

The kitchens are Galleys.

There are no floors, but decks

There are no rooms but cabins.

Port is left (it has 4 letters)

Starboard is right, it has more than 4 letters.

anyone else think of any other Nautical terms, add them on

I laugh at this one all the time, especially since my wife and I are divers. Someone will ask us "When do you get on the boat?" I reply with "As soon as we get to the marina and meet the divemaster." (Note: in case this doesn't make sense, we are getting on a dive BOAT. ;p)

Right on, Seabum - you know your stuff.

Three Sheets to the Wind - a ship caught with three sails (sheets) to the wind would wallow and stagger like a drunk.

Bung.....bung....got to think about that one. Oh yeah, a plug used to the stop a leak in the hull.

OK Chief, who keeps the keys to the sea chest?

I laugh at this one all the time, especially since my wife and I are divers. Someone will ask us "When do you get on the boat?" I reply with "As soon as we get to the marina and meet the divemaster." (Note: in case this doesn't make sense, we are getting on a dive BOAT. ;p)

One thing that sets a ship apart from a boat is size. According the U.S. Naval Institute, a boat, generally speaking, is small enough to be carried aboard a larger vessel, and a vessel large enough to carry a smaller one is a ship.

Interestingly, Captain Jonathan on the Amsterdam World Cruise, following his noon navigation report would often tell the origin of a nautical term. He covered most of the terms mentioned in this thread plus many more. One was the origin of the term Grog for the rum/water mixture that replaced the daily rum ration on British ships. Anyone know or want to guess?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interestingly, Captain Jonathan on the Amsterdam World Cruise, following his noon navigation report would often tell the origin of a nautical term. He covered most of the terms mentioned in this thread plus many more. One was the origin of the term Grog for the rum/water mixture that replaced the daily rum ration on British ships. Anyone know or want to guess?

After a British Admiral nicknamed Old Groggy or such but don't recall details. One of the few bits of trivia still stored away.

After a British Admiral nicknamed Old Groggy or such but don't recall details. One of the few bits of trivia still stored away.

I think it was the Admiral who started the grog ration, but it was his nickname that referred to his clothes somehow.

The Gangway(The bridgy thing that leads to land).

Actually saw a sign on ether the Magic or the Fantasy that said this.

There is a safety message used by Disney that goes:

"If you are coming up from the bottom, watch your top.

If you are coming down from the top watch your bottom.

The fastest way down is to fall down, so please hold the hand rail

or steady yourself on a small child at all times."