Live Journal – B2B Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires – Come Along For the Adventure

Jim_Iain

The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough is a fascinating read on the history of the canal. It’s a big fat book (698 pages) but worth the effort. Before reading it I didn’t see what the big deal was. Now I get it. My favorite spot is the Culebra Cut.

I read this book just before our canal transit in 2014. I consider it a must read for anyone with an interest in the canal and it's history. On a personal note, my grandfather ran away from home at 16 and lied about his age to join the merchant marines. He told me about transiting the canal soon after, around 1930. Passing through the canal I couldn't help but picture him standing watch as his ship passed through Lake Gatun and a little toast to his memory was in order.

Love keeping up with you on the cruise. We will be boarding in San Antonio. Trying to figure out what to bring. You are right. Weather is all over the place. Looking forward to meeting you next week. Enjoy the canal. We went through last year at this time on Windstar.

Sue and Joe

I read this book just before our canal transit in 2014. I consider it a must read for anyone with an interest in the canal and it's history. On a personal note, my grandfather ran away from home at 16 and lied about his age to join the merchant marines. He told me about transiting the canal soon after, around 1930. Passing through the canal I couldn't help but picture him standing watch as his ship passed through Lake Gatun and a little toast to his memory was in order.

What a wonderful story. It must have brought him back to life.

I wish I had read the book before I had made the journey. The docent they brought on board, Bill Fall has been excellent. Narration began around 7:00 am and has been continuous. Narration is available on the bridge cam channel and throughout the ship.

We are currently at Miraflores first lock (the final in the canal and it is 4:43PM).

We had a downpour around 7 but stopped raining prior to beginning the passage. It has been overcast all day and temperatures have been a mild 75-80 degrees. Vey comfortable except for the humidity.

The have had the helipad open most of the day (they had to squeegee the water off of it after the rain for passenger safety).

Love keeping up with you on the cruise. We will be boarding in San Antonio. Trying to figure out what to bring. You are right. Weather is all over the place. Looking forward to meeting you next week. Enjoy the canal. We went through last year at this time on Windstar.

Sue and Joe

Can't wait to meet you. I packed everything from a winter jacket to bathing suite. We have been advise to make sure you bring some waterproof gear or even some cheap plastic ponchos.

At least for this cruise most people dressed very stylish for our first Chic night. We all decided to bring our Tux as we will also need them for the theater in Buenos Aires post cruise. I was surprised that there were quite a few men in Tux and of course all of the women were very glamourous and fashionable regardless of their choice.

Really excited to read your posts. I will be sailing on the Infinity next year.

How are the theater productions? Overall, the food?

I have read many negatives but would like your feedback.

Lovincrusin - I will have to fill you in on the production shows a bit later. Iain and I are not real big fans of the shows but we have agreed to go to some later in the cruise as David really likes to go to the theater.

We have seen most of the shows so many times that it doesn't do much for us. Don't take me wrong as the shows are generally pretty well done. Our main complaint (objection) is with a decision that Celebrity made regarding the timing of shows. Now I'm showing my age... lol. In the good 'ol days the shows were arranged that you have dinner (early or late) and then the show after you meal. Now the shows are scheduled prior to dinner.

I've been impressed with the food. So far we have only eaten at Luminea and Tuscan. I have only had one item that I didn't care for (which was a desert that I didn't really want anyway).

Food in Tuscan was good - not excellent and we all agreed that the service was a bit hit or miss. It started with them giving half of our table the wrong menu. We next sat for about 10 minutes before anyone came to the table. The restaurant was only about 1/2 filled and even with that the Sommelier was challenged with keeping ones glass filled. We brought to the attention of the wait staff the immediately hopped in and started helping out.

We enjoyed the evening but even with 2 free specialty dinners (suite booked prior to 12/31/15) we probably will not return. The food and service in Luminea is so much better.

By the way the other specialty restaurant on Infinity is Qsine. We went once many years ago with a group and had a good time but for us it is a bit gimmicky. We will probably just forfeit our remaining free meals.

I do want to say that of course food choice is very subjective and my comments are not meant in anyway to be a complaint but just our opinion.

Silent Disco -

Last night they had the first silent disco in the Martin Bar - It was a hoot and hilarious to watch. Everyone had a wonderful time. Iain even had a fun dance with a lady who was wheelchair bound. She could sure dance.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I had very similar impressions food-wise during my cruise late last year on sister ship Summit (including slow wine service in Tuscan). Really enjoyed my meals in Luminae (food and service). Had free unlimited specialty dining as a suite perk and did a meal each in Tuscan Grille and Qsine, but preferred the food and service better in Luminae - so did the rest of my meals there.

Lovincrusin - I will have to fill you in on the production shows a bit later. Iain and I are not real big fans of the shows but we have agreed to go to some later in the cruise as David really likes to go to the theater.

We have seen most of the shows so many times that it doesn't do much for us. Don't take me wrong as the shows are generally pretty well done. Our main complaint (objection) is with a decision that Celebrity made regarding the timing of shows. Now I'm showing my age... lol. In the good 'ol days the shows were arranged that you have dinner (early or late) and then the show after you meal. Now the shows are scheduled prior to dinner.

I've been impressed with the food. So far we have only eaten at Luminea and Tuscan. I have only had one item that I didn't care for (which was a desert that I didn't really want anyway).

Food in Tuscan was good - not excellent and we all agreed that the service was a bit hit or miss. It started with them giving half of our table the wrong menu. We next sat for about 10 minutes before anyone came to the table. The restaurant was only about 1/2 filled and even with that the Sommelier was challenged with keeping ones glass filled. We brought to the attention of the wait staff the immediately hopped in and started helping out.

We enjoyed the evening but even with 2 free specialty dinners (suite booked prior to 12/31/15) we probably will not return. The food and service in Luminea is so much better.

By the way the other specialty restaurant on Infinity is Qsine. We went once many years ago with a group and had a good time but for us it is a bit gimmicky. We will probably just forfeit our remaining free meals.

I do want to say that of course food choice is very subjective and my comments are not meant in anyway to be a complaint but just our opinion.

Thanks for mentioning the theater show times. I signed up for the 8:45pm dinner. Will I be o.k.?

Loving your review. I have great memories of Infinity from when we did the Panama Canal on her back in 2010. Hard to believe it was that long ago but nice to see how she has upgraded and changed. The video from the Martini Bar also brings back some memories of that same bartender when we were on Constellation last year! He was incredibly entertaining... ask him to do some of his card tricks or hold the open beer bottle upside down...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loving your review. I have great memories of Infinity from when we did the Panama Canal on her back in 2010. Hard to believe it was that long ago but nice to see how she has upgraded and changed. The video from the Martini Bar also brings back some memories of that same bartender when we were on Constellation last year! He was incredibly entertaining... ask him to do some of his card tricks or hold the open beer bottle upside down...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I really understand what you mean. We were on Infinity last in 2006. I am very impressed with her. She has aged gratefully and had lots on tender loving care.

I don’t believe our bartenders in Martini Bar do card tricks. He was doing some little magic tricks and the other juggling. Haven’t see them do the pouring of 12 samplers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

November 29 - Mantra, Equador

Arrived Mantra this morning and the ship was cleared by 0700. We had a CruiseCritic tour that Jill arranged. The port call had been modified about a month ago and Infinity was scheduled for sail away at 2:30, which made for a quick port stop.

The weather was overcast and in the mid-70's

We visited Pacoche Forest which is a 45-minute drive. After a quick drive through Mantra we left the dry coastal region with wonderful beaches and enter the humid, protected Pacoche Forest on a hill overlooking the beautiful coastline. Pacoche is a reserve located in an area brimming with orchids, bromeliads and other ornamental plants.

We were greeted by the noisy and aptly-named howler monkey—the permanent resident of the reserve. We were shown a demonstration of the processing of sugar cane and took a walk through the steep trails through the forest.

After the rain forest we visited Montecristi the home of the Panama hat. The hats ranged in price from $20.00 to hundreds of dollars. We spent about 1 1/2 hour eploring Montecristi and then returned to the ship by 1:00.

I was worn out as I hadn't slept well so took a much needed nap. We departed at 2:30 without much fanfare.