Just a bit curious about the Panama Canal locks ferry trip

CruiserBruce

Have not done this excursion in several years. It was an interesting and informative trip that went to the Pacific Ocean and then returned to Colon. We were running about an hour late so as soon as we got to the pier the ship departed. There was no opportunity to shop and we heard there as little shopping in the area. It can be hot, humid and occasionally wet due to rain. We were glad we did it as it gave us a whole different perspective of the canal than being on a cruise ship. Would not do it again but do not regret it.

I have been reading the review of the last couple of days on Cruise Critic of the ferry trip to the old Panama Canal locks and my husband and I have signed up for this adventure and now are not so sure it is a good idea. With that said, we are curious if we stay on the ship and then end up in Colon are we able to get off the ship in Colon and if so can we find anything of interest at this stop. If you have recently been on this Panama Canal cruise on the Caribbean Princess we would really appreciate any information you have to share. Thanking you in advance.....

I was on the Caribbean Princess Panama Canal cruise in October. Princess has been changing the Colon port to Cristobal. There is really nothing in this port. It is in an industrial area. A couple of tents are put up with local goods. I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as the ferry excursion, but if you are referring to the transit by boat, it is a long excursion. You get to go through the locks in a small boat which is interesting, but you will spend a lot of time waiting for larger ships to join your boat in the locks.

I don't know what you read that makes you apprehensive. What concerns you? I did the ferry through the locks and IMO it was a long yet great day. IIRC the ship floats in Gatun Lake and then docks near the time for the buses to arrive at Colon. It all seems to work on a closely timed schedule there. I don't recall passengers being allowed to disembark in Colon.

What is it about the excursion that is giving you pause? We have done the ferry to the Pacific excursion twice, the most recent time being last year. We loved it both times. Yes it's a long day but it is a totally different experience than going through the Gatun locks on the big ship. On the smaller boat you will be able to actually feel the movement as the water level goes down and you can touch the wall. It is a long day but they provide food and beverages. There's also shade and ample seating as well as bathrooms and some souvenir items for sale.

Last year we were delayed two hours getting back to the ship, mainly because of traffic and the fact that the busses that took us to the smaller boat could not get there in time for our originally slated departure. We were taken to a small market on the outskirts of Panama City where we were able to do a little bit of shopping. This isn't the norm so I wouldn't count on that.

The trip consists of taking the tender from the ship to land, then boarding a bus that takes you to the smaller boat, travelling through the San Miguel and Miraflores locks, then getting off the boat in Panama City and finally getting on a bus that will take you to the Atlantic side to board your ship. You get to see a little bit of everything on this excursion.

As for staying on the ship, you will be able to get off to do a little souvenir shopping once you are back at Colon or Cristobal. But there won't be time for longer exploration, your only option for that would be to take a Princess excursion which depart via tender while you are in Gatun Lake.

Thank you so much for all who answered, the things I read were on Cruise Critic, Caribbean Princess reviews from the last cruise I think. Looks like a bus accident and folks not be being able to get off the buses, etc. I know this is not common, but concerning as I can only guess it will be very hot, but I would love to go and see the other area, so we are just trying to decide what to do. We are going to leave the tour as it is for not, and hope to see the reviews from the next couple of trips to see how and if improvements are made on the ferry tour. Thanks again.....

I was on Caribbean Princess Nov. 10-20. We did not do an excursion, and chose to stay on the ship. We were supposed to be in Cristobal 4-7 PM, however we started our return trip through the locks later than anticipated, and did not dock in Cristobal until much later than 4 due to the fact that passage times through the canal are estimates. By the time the ship was given clearance and made the return trip through the locks and on to to Cristobal it was well after 4 when we arrived. There were cruisers waiting in the the tour buses for the ships return. The tents with local goods provided shelter from the rain for the cruisers that weren't lucky enough to be waiting in a bus. It was dark out, and we only docked long enough for all of the people that took the ships excursions were back on the ship. I am only sharing as it seemed like your concern was the tour returning late to the ship. On our cruise, just the opposite happened. The ships tours were waiting for the ship to get to the port.

We did the boat-through-the-rest-of-the-locks-tour years ago and have ever since referred to it as "the trip from hell". It was supposed to be an 8 hr. trip that turned into an 11 hr. trip. We got stuck in the locks with a massive container ship and had to wait for it at each of the locks. I've seen snails move faster than that ship. :o It was incredibly boring for everyone involved. The little ship's shop ran out of drinks, then snacks, then cards, then everything they had to keep people occupied. The trip back to the ship was harrowing in the dark. Not much frightens me, but that trip did. To keep a very long story short, it was the worst tour we've ever done. Any other tour instead of that trip would be good. I understand not everyone has had the same terrible experience we had, but even if there's the slightest chance you might, be smart and choose something else to do there.

We prefer the partial transits to the full transit mainly because we like the Caribbean tours better than the Pacific tours (and much shorter). Have taken the full transit on the small boat tour twice and enjoyed both times, even though it rained most of the time on our second tour. Ask the pilot about the dent in the Miraflores Lock. Experience is much different than taking the cruise ship through the lock - you are inside rather than above the lock. We will likely do this again next partial.

Transit back to Colon has improved recently due to a new highway, but you could still get delays. Last trip we took a "new locks" tour from Fuerte Amador and didn't realize you had to bus over to the Gatun side since they don't have a visitor center on the Pacific side - took around 25 minutes on the tollway. Previous trip took 90 minutes.

Colon port shopping is standard trinkets and jewelry shops. The old warehouse with locals at tables was much better.

Before our partial-Canal cruise on Coral I had read the same smattering of horror stories about the ferry excursion -- luckily we ignored them because we had one of the [apparently more typical] smooth days. Our ferry arrived at the Pacific locks with only a really small sailboat and we processed through with just them and us in each lock -- talk about a comparison to Coral filling its locks on the Atlantic side. Then we boarded a nice air-conditioned bus and had a snooze across a smooth highway back to the ship. Looking out our balcony at the port of Colon, we could see one strip of tourist-trap shops and immediately behind it a slum that you wouldn't want to go anywhere near :eek:

Did the ferry even though the ship went through the canal . The ferry gives you a very different perspective on the canal since the boat is so much smaller. You can reach out and touch the canal walls. In addition, we found that the ferry less than 1/2 full since most people thought going through the canal once was enough. Very pleasant and insightful experience.

Did the ferry even though the ship went through the canal . The ferry gives you a very different perspective on the canal since the boat is so much smaller. You can reach out and touch the canal walls. In addition, we found that the ferry less than 1/2 full since most people thought going through the canal once was enough. Very pleasant and insightful experience.
Was on Panama Canal cruise several years ago, cruise ship turned around in lake Gatun and did not transverse entire canal. We took tour on a small boat through entire canal to Pacific. Great trip interesting sites and a different view of canal and locks. Also returned by bus however we ran into a storm. Colon looked like a dump glad we did not visit. A great trip.d2b75a0f61f582442d1b9d63b26c8df3.jpg3cc901931b8c1a2c3455344e2cde3a68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We did the boat-through-the-rest-of-the-locks-tour years ago and have ever since referred to it as "the trip from hell". It was supposed to be an 8 hr. trip that turned into an 11 hr. trip. We got stuck in the locks with a massive container ship and had to wait for it at each of the locks. I've seen snails move faster than that ship. :o It was incredibly boring for everyone involved. The little ship's shop ran out of drinks, then snacks, then cards, then everything they had to keep people occupied. The trip back to the ship was harrowing in the dark. Not much frightens me, but that trip did. To keep a very long story short, it was the worst tour we've ever done. Any other tour instead of that trip would be good. I understand not everyone has had the same terrible experience we had, but even if there's the slightest chance you might, be smart and choose something else to do there.

Our experience wasn't quite that bad, but the boat we took went so slowly that, at times, we could barely tell we were moving. The tour guide talked almost the entire time, very meager lunch servings.

The actual experience of going through the old locks was cool and impressive, but from beginning to end, it was about 11 hours before we got back to our ship and no time to do anything else.