Did I miss an announcement about UBP and the gratuities ??

ready2cruzagain

Was doing a mock booking this morning and noticed that NCL is now charging for a 7 day cruise $124.60 pp for the UBP gratuities. Last month when we booked a 7 day cruise the UBP gratuities were only $112.34 pp.

When did it go up?? I know this past January we only paid $98pp for the UBP gratuities and that it did go up from Jan but was unaware it was going up again.

Was doing a mock booking this morning and noticed that NCL is now charging for a 7 day cruise $124.60 pp for the UBP gratuities. Last month when we booked a 7 day cruise the UBP gratuities were only $112.34 pp.

When did it go up?? I know this past January we only paid $98pp for the UBP gratuities and that it did go up from Jan but was unaware it was going up again.

A month or so ago when NCL raised the cost of the UBP for anyone actually purchasing.

So now you are paying the 18% gratuity on the new cost.

Seems to be about right amount .

It did not go up.

The service charge for the UBP for 7 nights is still $112.34.

The mock booking you're doing is giving you the service charges for UBP + the UDP 3 night dining option together. The UDP service charge is $12.26.

$112.34 + $12.26 = $124.60.

It did not go up.

The service charge for the UBP for 7 nights is still $112.34.

The mock booking you're doing is giving you the service charges for UBP + the UDP 3 night dining option together. The UDP service charge is $12.26.

$112.34 + $12.26 = $124.60.

You are incorrect. On the Epic Jan 13, 2018, inside cabin, one promo of the UBP. Gratuities for the UBP ONLY no SDP, are $249.20 which is $124.60pp. You can only pick one with an inside and it is showing the UBP only!

If I pick the SDP by itself it is showing $13.80pp for a total of $27.60 NOT $12.26 pp like you are saying.

UBP used to be $79pppd. The 18% service charge for 7 days was $99.54

UBP is now $89pppd. The 18% service charge for 7 days is now $112.14

EDIT!!

It looks like the service charge is now/might be 20%

$89 x 7 x .20 = $124.60

Edited by Two Wheels Only

• 7-Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral
  • SHIP Norwegian Epic
  • CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral) Nassau, Bahamas Falmouth, Jamaica George Town, Grand Cayman Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas DISEMBARK Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral)

Date & Stateroom modify

• NUMBER OF GUESTS 2 guests
  • DEPARTURE DATES January 13 - 20, 2018 Saturday - Saturday
  • STATEROOM TYPE Inside
  • STATEROOM CATEGORY 170_723_cat_IA_r_0.gif Mid-Ship Inside
  • STATEROOM NUMBER 13120 DECK 13,
  • RATE SELECTED Ultimate Beverage Package

Summary of Charges

• TOTAL 2 GUESTS $1,598.00
  • CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG $249.20
  • GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $294.42

TOTAL

$ 2,141 62

• 7-Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral
  • SHIP Norwegian Epic
  • CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral) Nassau, Bahamas Falmouth, Jamaica George Town, Grand Cayman Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas DISEMBARK Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral)

Date & Stateroom modify

• NUMBER OF GUESTS 2 guests
  • DEPARTURE DATES January 13 - 20, 2018 Saturday - Saturday
  • STATEROOM TYPE Inside
  • STATEROOM CATEGORY 170_723_cat_IA_r_0.gif Mid-Ship Inside
  • STATEROOM NUMBER 13120 DECK 13,
  • RATE SELECTED Free Specialty Dining Package

Summary of Charges

• TOTAL 2 GUESTS $1,598.00
  • CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG $27.60
  • GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $294.42

TOTAL

$ 1,920 02e

This is what is coming up! Not 18% on $89 or the $12.26pp as stated above!

Do a mock booking and tell me what it shows today. Because I am getting a higher amount on the mock bookings.

I JUST did a mock booking and the service charge DOES appear to be 20% of the $89.00 fee that would be charged for the UBP if you purchased it. First I have heard of it, but I just saw it in black and white :(

Terms and Conditions have changed.....:(

"Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($17.80 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.50 USD per person per day) prior to cruise."

"Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise."

I guess now isn't the time to get into the whole "...service charge is/isn't a gratuity..." thing.

"Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($17.80 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.50 USD per person per day) prior to cruise."

"Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise."

Seems like they would have announced it somewhere!

Seems like they would have announced it somewhere!

I'm going to give you the credit for announcing it. (y)

Here I was waiting for summer 2019 dates to be released (MSC released theirs for Seaside) so I could decide which to book and I probably wouldn't have noticed NCL's 2% increase.

I'm going to give you the credit for announcing it. (y)

Here I was waiting for summer 2019 dates to be released (MSC released theirs for Seaside) so I could decide which to book and I probably wouldn't have noticed NCL's 2% increase.

I know 2% isn't that much but this makes the second time this year it was raised.

Our next cruise is on Celebrity, we were able to get free drinks and free gratuities for 21 days and it cost less than the 21 days we are getting ready to sail on Epic cost. Of course the X cruise has gone up in price but we got a steal!

I know 2% isn't that much but this makes the second time this year it was raised.

For suite/Haven guests, it's the 3rd time. :mad:

Suite guests used to get the 18% on the UBP/SDP waived.

Then, suite guests were charged the 18% on $79pppd on the UBP.

Then, suite guests were charged the 18% on $89pppd on the UBP.

Now, suite guests are charged the 20% on $89pppd on the UBP.

No official announcement(s) yet from official NCL channels, but rest assured it's forthcoming, somehow - just getting this under the radar.

Hmmm, 20% on top of these "freebies" - glad it doesn't hit us, as we don't typically go for UBP and/or SDP. Is this for all new bookings and/or starting January 1, 2018 or what ... don't have time this morning to dig deep ?

I supposed for those with the package, the option to be grandfathered :confused: in under the old rates is or should be offered, as long as it is prepaid :evilsmile: ... as in the past.

Why do I get this funny feeling that DSC is going up next ... agent @ the NCL call center that cheerfully helped us book our next April cruise suggested, hinted & reminded me to paid that upfront, etc. etc. not that long ago, maybe they knew all this is coming down the pipeline. Maybe, I will call Mrs. M's newly assigned PCC (again, last one ... gone with the wind) to ask, LOL.

No official announcement(s) yet from official NCL channels, but rest assured it's forthcoming, somehow - just getting this under the radar.

Hmmm, 20% on top of these "freebies" - glad it doesn't hit us, as we don't typically go for UBP and/or SDP. Is this for all new bookings and/or starting January 1, 2018 or what ... don't have time this morning to dig deep ?

I supposed for those with the package, the option to be grandfathered :confused: in under the old rates is or should be offered, as long as it is prepaid :evilsmile: ... as in the past.

Why do I get this funny feeling that DSC is going up next ... agent @ the NCL call center that cheerfully helped us book our next April cruise suggested, hinted & reminded me to paid that upfront, etc. etc. not that long ago, maybe they knew all this is coming down the pipeline. Maybe, I will call Mrs. M's newly assigned PCC (again, last one ... gone with the wind) to ask, LOL.

Nope, it is for new bookings starting yesterday, Dec.. 1st. I can't believe no one noticed it!

I guess now isn't the time to get into the whole "...service charge is/isn't a gratuity..." thing.

LOL, I just seen this. You are probably right! But someone will!

... with a raise in automatic gratuities many people who used to slip extra money to the wait staff/bartenders will be thinking twice ...
Another "modest" upward bump - it's a good thing, perhaps, this is not affecting all NCL cruisers, just a fraction, those with the package(s) - on gratuities, fees, or whatever one considered it to be - we know nothing for sure how this will impact on the servers & bar staff.

It is likely, probable that the extra cash tips will flat line going forward or decline ... while the computed amount charged go up another notch to 20% (from 18%) - regardless of how it's allocated & shared among the employees. That's both unspoken & written in the contracts between NCL & their crew, and, not our business.

I am afraid and inclined to agree with the feelings that, the cash pool will not be growing ... Is someone being sneaky, maybe ... maybe not - certainly, this could be more transparent, IMO.

On those longer 10 to 14 days sailings, repo & crossings - the UBP figures can quickly add up .l. wise to drink at least a few each day to make it worthwhile. Some will wisely choose to continue to stick to the no-frills Sail Away Rates.

Another "modest" upward bump - it's a good thing, perhaps, this is not affecting all NCL cruisers, just a fraction, those with the package(s) - on gratuities, fees, or whatever one considered it to be - we know nothing for sure how this will impact on the servers & bar staff.

It is likely, probable that the extra cash tips will flat line going forward or decline ... while the computed amount charged go up another notch to 20% (from 18%) - regardless of how it's allocated & shared among the employees. That's both unspoken & written in the contracts between NCL & their crew, and, not our business.

I am afraid and inclined to agree with the feelings that, the cash pool will not be growing ... Is someone being sneaky, maybe ... maybe not - certainly, this could be more transparent, IMO.

On those longer 10 to 14 days sailings, repo & crossings - the UBP figures can quickly add up .l. wise to drink at least a few each day to make it worthwhile. Some will wisely choose to continue to stick to the no-frills Sail Away Rates.

Well, it does add up. We usually sail at least 21 days. What was $336.72 x 2 = $672.84, for the 3 weeks total if we book with NCL in future, will be $373.80 x 2 = $747.60 , so there would be a $74.76 increase for us for the 21 days.

I know some will say that if you can afford to cruise for 21 days, blah, blah, blah, but that is not the point. The "Free" UBP is getting to be expensive.