NCL Spirit Canaries & Casablanca - 18% Spanish Tax question

Lobbylin

How can you pay 10% on Zero charge when I went to school 10% of £0 = £0 now if I buy a drink over the limit I am then expecting to pay the 10%.

Quote from NCL FAQ

Please note that in order to comply with Spanish and Italian tax regulations we are required to charge Spanish/Italian VAT on applicable retail items purchased on board cruises from/to Barcelona, Venice and Rome (Civitavecchia), as well as on all other cruises whilst the ship is in Spanish or Italian waters.

You are presented with the normal cost of your drink on a receipt, and the Spanish tax is also shown on that bill. You sign it.... and the Spanish tax 10% portion is charged to your on board account.

This is IRRESPECTIVE of the fact that your drinks package is classed as free or all inclusive.

By all means go back and challenge this again, but I am telling you this is what happens, whether you like it or not.

To be honest, NCL need to make this clearer in their term & conditions so there are no surprises or hacked off customers.

I myself booked with a US TA and got a free drinks package, but whilst it was free, I still had to pay the 20% gratuities on that package up front before final payment ... nothing in life is really free lol!:);)

You are presented with the normal cost of your drink on a receipt, and the Spanish tax is also shown on that bill. You sign it.... and the Spanish tax 10% portion is charged to your on board account.

This is IRRESPECTIVE of the fact that your drinks package is classed as free or all inclusive.

By all means go back and challenge this again, but I am telling you this is what happens, whether you like it or not.

To be honest, NCL need to make this clearer in their term & conditions so there are no surprises or hacked off customers.

I myself booked with a US TA and got a free drinks package, but whilst it was free, I still had to pay the 20% gratuities on that package up front before final payment ... nothing in life is really free lol!:);)

Right you booked in US you did not pay VAT people booking in UK pay VAT so you only pay it once.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Right you booked in US you did not pay VAT people booking in UK pay VAT so you only pay it once.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

book via US you pay 18% gratuity on value of UBP[Paid before/at final payment]

book via UK no gratuity payable

however Spanish VAT of 10% is charged on board for drinks purchased in Spanish waters or all cruise of ship doesn't call at non EU port

that 10% is based on normal value of drink

book via US you pay 18% gratuity on value of UBP[Paid before/at final payment]

book via UK no gratuity payable

however Spanish VAT of 10% is charged on board for drinks purchased in Spanish waters or all cruise of ship doesn't call at non EU port

that 10% is based on normal value of drink

So why have NCL told me no VAT will be taken see my post # 19

None of us know why NCL have you the answer that they did. We also don’t know why so much of the information given by NCL shoreside staff is so often incorrect.

Having said that, the message you posted earlier looks quite vague to me. Taken literally, I would actually read it as saying that you won’t be charged any VAT onboard on the cost of the packages, which is correct. It isn’t well worded.

The facts based on actual experience though is that tax does seem to be being charged on drinks that you obtain using the drinks package in Spanish ports. I would believe actual experience over what NCL tell people 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be charged the VAT.

We had the UBP, are from the UK and were on this cruise in November / December 2017. The 10% VAT is applied to the value of any drink served whilst in Spanish waters and is added to your on board account.

I agree that you have already paid 20% VAT on your fare and it does seem an unusual practice. The standard VAT rate in Spain is 21%, the 10% is a reduced rate and seems like a money making exercise by the Spanish government. I'm pretty sure that holiday makers staying in an all inclusive hotel / resort in mainland Spain are not charged an extra 10% on their drinks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

None of us know why NCL have you the answer that they did. We also don’t know why so much of the information given by NCL shoreside staff is so often incorrect.

Having said that, the message you posted earlier looks quite vague to me. Taken literally, I would actually read it as saying that you won’t be charged any VAT onboard on the cost of the packages, which is correct. It isn’t well worded.

The facts based on actual experience though is that tax does seem to be being charged on drinks that you obtain using the drinks package in Spanish ports. I would believe actual experience over what NCL tell people 100% of the time.

Well written answer, I agree totally.

I would add that on the last night of our 10nt Cruise, we got a $25pp credit appear on our on board account, which I think was to do with overcalculated port fees, so that pretty much covered the Spanish drinks tax over the various days it applied.

I can’t say for sure if that happens every Cruise, but it was a nice sweetener.

For passengers who booked with Premium All-Inclusive, who have already paid EU VAT, there certainly seems to be no justification for collecting additional Spanish VAT on board, and I would encourage those passengers to write to NCL for a refund and report the result here. Double charging VAT is illegal.

As for everyone else (i.e. the majority of people around here, with US/Canadian bookings), I have no idea whether Spanish/EU tax laws require tax to be collected on the retail value of drinks ordered under the UBP. People have been complaining about this for years, but we still don't have the answer (because unfortunately it's not as simple as saying "10% of $0 is $0").

When the same thing happens in US ports, people are not necessarily thrilled about it, but everyone seems to accept that it is legal.

For passengers who booked with Premium All-Inclusive, who have already paid EU VAT, there certainly seems to be no justification for collecting additional Spanish VAT on board, and I would encourage those passengers to write to NCL for a refund and report the result here. Double charging VAT is illegal.

As for everyone else (i.e. the majority of people around here, with US/Canadian bookings), I have no idea whether Spanish/EU tax laws require tax to be collected on the retail value of drinks ordered under the UBP. People have been complaining about this for years, but we still don't have the answer (because unfortunately it's not as simple as saying "10% of $0 is $0").

When the same thing happens in US ports, people are not necessarily thrilled about it, but everyone seems to accept that it is legal.

I have spoken with my contact at Celebrity Cruises my preferred line as I have two cruises booked with them in 2018 out of Barcelona asked the same question, answer as I have drinks package included in the price there will be no extra charges unless its outside of the package.

For what its worth I booked NCL cruise via agents Cruise118 so I asked the question of them here is there reply

Hello Mr

Great to hear from you, apologies that you have not had a reply to your query sooner!

I can confirm for you that any Service charge/Tax/VAT is included in your drinks package and already accounted for. However, any drinks bought outside of your package will include these charges.

I hope this clears things up for you

With Best Regards

Keegan Woods

CustomerService Concierge

Phone: 0808 250 0913Email:Keegan.Woods@Cruise118.com

I have spoken with my contact at Celebrity Cruises my preferred line as I have two cruises booked with them in 2018 out of Barcelona asked the same question, answer as I have drinks package included in the price there will be no extra charges unless its outside of the package.

For what its worth I booked NCL cruise via agents Cruise118 so I asked the question of them here is there reply

Hello Mr

Great to hear from you, apologies that you have not had a reply to your query sooner!

I can confirm for you that any Service charge/Tax/VAT is included in your drinks package and already accounted for. However, any drinks bought outside of your package will include these charges.

I hope this clears things up for you

With Best Regards

Keegan Woods

CustomerService Concierge

Phone: 0808 250 0913Email:Keegan.Woods@Cruise118.com

Perhaps NCL staff should look at key cards more thoroughly. Although I think the tills have some sort switch which means they generate a receipt for VAT when switched.

If what you are being told is correct, and I'm not questioning that it is, then NCL must owe an awful lot of people some sort of rebate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience of VAT sailing from/to Italian ports...leaving from Rome in June

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

The only time I’ve ever been charged VAT in any Italian ports is when on the Epic round trip from Barcelona where VAT is charged for the whole sailing.

Last I heard, they weren’t charging that VAT if you have the UBP, but we will have to see what happens when the Epic gets back over this way, as it can change.

If you are on the Spirit then you won’t be charged VAT whilst in the Italian ports, based on previous experience.

We are on the spirit now and they didn't tell us about the tax which is 10% until we were on board. It applies to any beverage even on the u b package and all inc when you are in any Spanish waters,even when going through the Gibraltar straight. We asked to see the vat certificate and number issued by Spain but they say it goes to Miami with the tax money collected which seems very strange! Perhaps this is just a con to get more money from us, who knows. It would be great if everyone boycotts the Spanish cruise and books with another line in protest!

How did you like this cruise?Ship? Excursions to recommend? We are going in March..thanks

Terri

Vat is not the only form of tax in Europe, there are specific customs duties on particular types of goods and these vary per country and type of goods.

Also the vat rate varies from country to country.

Someone mentions to being charged at Casablanca, but that is in morocco and they would have different regulations to Spain.

Someone mentions to being charged at Casablanca, but that is in morocco and they would have different regulations to Spain.

Just to be clear, I haven't seen anyone here mention being charged in Casablanca, and have never heard any reports from elsewhere of anyone being charged tax when in port there.

Hi I booked cruise via agent cruise 1*8 they have been onto NCL for me and this is the reply

Good morning,

I am just emailing to confirm that if you are charged any TAX on your drinks whilst on Spanish waters, NCL have informed me that you will be refunded this amount as long as you retain your receipts as proof,

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me,

Many thanks,

We shall see :o:o

Hmm I’m annoyed at this, booked the round trip from Barcelona in August and was told as I wasn’t actually making a purchase on board, the tax wouldn’t apply. So it’ll be in place for my whole cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Epic?

That has changed over the years. The tax is charged on all purchases for the duration of the cruise, and a few years ago it was also charged on drinks consumed with the UBP.

However, for the 2016 season that changed and no tax was charged on UBP drinks consumed. That was also the case last year.

We just don’t know what the situation will be when the Epic arrives back this year. However, I would say that the experience on cruises such as the current Spirit itineraries have never been a guide as to what happens on the Epic all EU round trip. Therefore, I would say that it is pretty likely you won’t get charged on the drinks you consume. We won’t know until the cruises start though.

My email to NCL UK customer services, Saturday 17th February 2018 (we are due to sail on the Spirit on 25th March from Barcelona-Spain and the Canaries) :

"Can you please clarify something for me? I've just been informed by someone that when sailing on this cruise we will be required to pay 10% service charge on every drink we have whilst in Spanish waters. We have never had to pay this on any other cruise.

Could you please advise?"

Their response, Monday 19th February 2018:

"Please be informed that VAT will not be added on promotional packages and pre purchased packages and on:D beverages included in the Ultimate beverage package up to the value of $15 per glass"

Hope that helps.

(I don't know how I've stuck a smiley in the middle....sorry).

Unfortunately, as it is info supplied by NCL shoreside staff it doesn’t really help all that much. They are not known for the reliability of the information they supply.

Having said that, it is the U.S. customer service staff that really seem to take a pride in misinforming people, and ours do seem to be a bit better. You also have something to take to guest services when you are charged, which seems very likely based on others experiences.