Mini-suite deck 9 for a family of four

cruisefamilyforever

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Ruby Princess cruise to Alaska for May and I'm planning on getting a mini-suite for my family of four (kids are 23 & 27). We have been on 5 cruises previously and have always been fine with a single cabin. We usually book a cabin with a balcony that is aft, but usually several cabins from the very back. I make sure it's not right next to stairs, elevators, service areas and I want no public area right below or above without at least a floor of cabins below and above.

After some research I found out all of the mini-suites are on deck 9. Also, if you need a cabin for four most of the cabins start at the elevators and head all of the way aft. Additionally, the balconies on 9 extend out from all of the balconies above you. The good news if you have pure sky. The bad news is everyone can see you.

Can anyone that has a family of 4 and has stayed in the aft cabins give me any insight. Were there any issues, i.e., vibrations, noise, balcony concerns? Also, I'd love cabin suggestions. Thanks!

Have you considered the mini suites aft on deck 8? IMHO they are the best Mini's on the ship. Especially if you can snag E731. Huge covered balcony. Never heard any noise on the Starboard side rooms from the lounge below.

We are in those mini's on our next 2 cruises.

Did you look at the family suite? Total cost is going to be more, but will be spacious for 4 adults and you get full suite benefits. Hard to know pricing since have to call Princess. Maybe it's super-expensive compared to other suites. It would be useless if it cost double a Mini. If I was the adult children, I'd be asking to be put in an Inside across the hall. But to each their own and I guess you guys are used to sharing the space. I'd go for the aft Emerald over aft Dolphin if any left.

You are going to Alaska...unless you normally live at 10,000 feet plus in Montana, you will not be spending very much time on your balcony. Even the lower part of Alaska that you will be visiting is normally cold during the day and always cold later in the day. Now, some will tell you that they went during a particular week when it was "warm" but that is the exception.

Yes, we have lived in Montana, Wisconsin and Nebraska during winters, so we know what cold is all about.

We like the mini's on the aft of deck 8 port side. The balcony is totally covered and we have never had a problem with the lounge below. I don't know though the occupancy limit for them. It is one deck down to most of the inside entertainment making it easy to attend and near the aft elevator shaft so it is a quick trip up to the HC etc.

Having cruised in the May shoulder season, it can be cool since their summer is just beginning. When we arrived in AK, we found a lot of the tourist places were not yet open but you did not specify if yours is a north/south cruise or a r/t from Seattle. In a way it was nice with no crowds but some things were either not open or had just opened with an inexperienced staff and incomplete arrangements.

In a mini suite the bed configuration is:

Queen or twin bed

Convertible sofa bed

Upper bunk horizontal over the sofa bed.

Access to the balcony is blocked when the 3rd and 4th beds are prepared.

The is sufficient closet space.

The balcony is 9'x6'. I would not worry about privacy. No one is looking down. In Alaska there isn't much lounging on balconies.

Bathroom use is tight, some have reported that they shower in the fitness center on deck 16 forward, thus they take forward cabins.

Some families, especially those with adult youth, book a balcony cat. cabin with and inside cabin across the hall.

You could also compare pricing with one mini-suite vs. two balcony cabins (the cheapest are usually the deck below Lido deck, which is Aloha or Riviera depending on ship, aft or forward). If it's doable pricewise, that would allow your kids to still have a balcony and just go back and forth between your cabins via the balconies. We travel with three teenagers and I can't imagine sharing one bathroom, so having two would be helpful as well. Or, as mentioned, for even less you could book them an interior cabin across from your balcony cabin (cheaper than a mini-suite and also would have a covered balcony). You could all share the balcony on viewing days.

You could also compare pricing with one mini-suite vs. two balcony cabins (the cheapest are usually the deck below Lido deck, which is Aloha or Riviera depending on ship, aft or forward). If it's doable pricewise, that would allow your kids to still have a balcony and just go back and forth between your cabins via the balconies. We travel with three teenagers and I can't imagine sharing one bathroom, so having two would be helpful as well. Or, as mentioned, for even less you could book them an interior cabin across from your balcony cabin (cheaper than a mini-suite and also would have a covered balcony). You could all share the balcony on viewing days.

Trust me, we will be fine with all of us in a mini-suite, it's actually bigger than we have ever had before. I would really like to hear from more people that have stayed in any rooms on deck 9 aft. It will be a Glacier Bay cruise on the Ruby Princess closed loop out of Seattle.I know the balcony is uncovered, I'm good with the sun.

Trust me, we will be fine with all of us in a mini-suite, it's actually bigger than we have ever had before. I would really like to hear from more people that have stayed in any rooms on deck 9 aft. It will be a Glacier Bay cruise on the Ruby Princess closed loop out of Seattle.I know the balcony is uncovered, I'm good with the sun.

We were assigned the most aft deck 9 mini on the Star. These minis were supposed to be designated handicapped, but didn't pass muster for some reason (same can be found on the Diamond, Caribbean, Grand, Golden & Sapphire).

Best minis on the ship!! The bathroom is enormous (no tub) with a walk in shower big enough for 2 wheelchairs:hearteyes:.

The best part was the balcony, it was also enormous. It was uncovered, but it didn't matter at all.

The aft minis are nice because they're at the end of the hallway, so there's very little foot traffic. The only people there are crew and your neighbors.