Do I really want to make a 6 hour drive for the interview to get Global Entry Status?

Kate-AHF

When I went down for my GE appt., they had a terrible time getting a fingerprint off me. The agent asked if I were a nurse (No, but I was a physical therapist in a hospital) and said a history of frequent hand-washing makes fingerprinting difficult. He suggested I use a moistener before putting my hand on the screen. Anyway, when I returned to the USA, even though I moistened my hands, it took 4 attempts for the GE machine to be able to read my prints. If this happens again, I may not renew my GE.

Like the OP, we do not live close to a GE interview place (the nearest to us is about a 2 hour drive). So a few years ago we simply scheduled our interview for a time when we would be near an interview place (we were actually traveling home from a beach trip). Our interviews took a few minutes and we have loved GE ever since. It has actually saved us missing some connecting flights (when flying into the USA from overseas) and has helped disembarkation at cruises ending at both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami. We also love having TSA Pre-check (this usually happens when you have GE) which has saved us lots of time in airports and means I don't have to take off shoes or pull electronics out of my bag. For those with some high end credit cards (AMEX Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, etc) the $100 cost of GE is covered by your normal card fee.

Hank

When I went down for my GE appt., they had a terrible time getting a fingerprint off me. The agent asked if I were a nurse (No, but I was a physical therapist in a hospital) and said a history of frequent hand-washing makes fingerprinting difficult. He suggested I use a moistener before putting my hand on the screen. Anyway, when I returned to the USA, even though I moistened my hands, it took 4 attempts for the GE machine to be able to read my prints. If this happens again, I may not renew my GE.
a

Even when the robot CBP agent gives you and "X " slip you get to jump the line to see an organic CBP agent.

I am conflicted on this question. I got Global Entry because I was traveling internationally a lot for business. However, my husband doesn't have it, so when we travel together, I don't use it. And I've traveled with individuals who don't have it. Frankly, I'm not convinced it saves you that much time. I'm not sure I would take a full day and drive 6 hours if you are only looking at a couple of trips a year.

I am conflicted on this question. I got Global Entry because I was traveling internationally a lot for business. However, my husband doesn't have it, so when we travel together, I don't use it. And I've traveled with individuals who don't have it. Frankly, I'm not convinced it saves you that much time. I'm not sure I would take a full day and drive 6 hours if you are only looking at a couple of trips a year.

Probably depends on which airport you’re using it. It’s saved DD lots of time going thru LAX.

Will get a chance to compare GE with the Mobile Pass app in a few weeks.

Three hours up to Dulles, three hours back. Worth it?

It is worth it if you fly internationally frequently during the year. Lines in ATL for instance are always long and just walking up to a kiosk scan your fingers and walk away is worth a $100.00 for 5 years. We have not regretted getting Global Entry so far.

after all the comments you might not need another one but I can give you our experience. If you know you are going to be traveling back through customs/border in a location they honor it then you will appreciate it. If you are not really going to need it for a major port or airline entry going through customs then I would say just get the simpler TSA precheck that you can get at closer sites than global entry. The face to face interview only takes about 15 minutes so they can double check your information and get your finger prints. We just returned from a trip to panama canal from san diego to ft Lauderdale with 5 other cruise ships coming in and it helped us greatly for that trip. There were close to 300 people in line waiting to go through regular customs and we walked straight to the global entry line and was number 4 in line. We may only use the precheck component from this point forward but we are glad we did it. We had to drive 3 hours each way as well so I understand your concern. It all has to do with where your traveling will be.......coming back through customs .....YES........just travel in US alone then get the TSA PRECHECK which is closer and easier

• 4 weeks later...

Well, drove up to Dulles on 1/9, waited 20 minutes for our scheduled interview. When we got back home there was an email telling us we were accepted. The cards arrived 4 days later. Fairly painless.

I checked into an appointment in Richmond before I booked them for Dulles. I would have had to wait until late April, and we would already be out of the country. Dulles had appointments available from the next day on the calendar on.

I don't travel internationally too often, but it's nice to have GE. I use Pre-Check several times a year, and that's worth it to me. Once you have it, it's yours. So you'd only have to make this drive once.

This may not be of much use to you in your situation, but it's helpful to time it with a flight if you can. I scheduled mine for when I was taking a trip (not international). But then I did it at my local airport, and they weren't too booked up or anything.

If it matters to anyone, Chase Sapphire Reserve covers the cost of GE if you get it, so when I renew in a few years (?), it'll be free.