Live from Oceania Sirena (December 16th to January 20th)

travelberlin

We will get on in Sydney when you get off for our first Crystal cruise.

I will follow your live thread on Crystal boards.

Let me know if you need any suggestions for your time in Sydney - Its a nice time of the year to be visiting and also coincides with Chinese New Year celebrations

Let me know if you need any suggestions for your time in Sydney - Its a nice time of the year to be visiting and also coincides with Chinese New Year celebrations

Thank you for the offer. We do know Sydney quite well but I might need some help/info on Crystal.

I will follow you there.

Thanks everybody for the comments and for following this thread.

Your itinerary looks very interesting Bodogbodog. I will be following you for sure.

We are on our way to Devil's Island, French Guiana. Internet very slow at the moment and Cruise Critic pages are not loading well. I have to start the page each time new to read the messages. Takes lots of time...

Ivi

Hope you are doing well and getting use to the year 2018.

On January the 1st, we were at Scarborough, Tobago. We have liked the Island very much. At around 9.30 we left the ship on our own with the idea of taking a taxi to Pigeon Point and there if possible to go for a glass boat tour to the Buccoo Reef and Nylon Pool. We had some information that this places were interesting.

No problem finding a taxi at the terminal. Our driver was a lady, who kept her car in a pristine condition and very clean. I wish that other drivers, including those in Bolivia and in Berlin, would offer such a nice transportation. We agreed that she would take us to Pigeon Point and wait for us until we would be ready to go back to the Ship.

Pigeon Point is kind of a protected area in which you have to pay entry. It costed US 7 to entry for the three of us including the driver. There are some shops, showers and well kept restrooms. When we arrived the beach only had a couple of visitors. It looked like paradise. When we left about 3 hours later, the place was full. Visitors were mainly passengers from the ship.

The glass boat was also easy to rent there. At 11.00, we, together with 10 more people, made our way to the reef at Buccoo. The reef looked not so colorful. Apparently many corals have died because, in previous days, there were not adequate protection measures. It was anyhow impressive to see them and some fishes came to feed under our glass boat.

More interesting was a shadow area middle in the ocean, where we could swim. The place is called Nylon pool and it is about 50 cm deep. Sand floor and no waves. Apparently this place was called “Nylon” because many years ago Princess Margaret said the color of the water was as clear as her nylon stockings….

Overall it was a very nice day enjoying the beach and the water activities. We would have enjoyed a longer stay at Tobago to be able to taste also the local food. I love crabs and they seem to serve them, Indian style (at least I saw one restaurant advertising it…).

We are still enjoying our cruise and the Sirena. It is amazing that half of the cruising time is gone! We are not bored or tired at all.

Thanks Bodogbodog for posting the pictures!

Ivi

Good afternoon,

Today is already January the 3rd! Yesterday we have received a notice requesting that we provide our debarkation plans. What?…Is this not our home?… Are we supposed to leave the ship?

The Oceania Sirena is one of the former R ships. Since we have cruised with Azamara many times, and that company has the same type of ship, we felt at home immediately on board the Sirena. The size of the cabin is small and the bathroom is tiny in the categories we cruise. Our cabin is a C1 for this cruise, which is an ocean view cabin. Since we know the lay out of the cabins in the Azamara ships, we assume that the only larger cabins are the Suites on the 8th floor. We have not traveled with them yet.

Our cabin is fine. Twice a day service done efficiently by two cabin attendants ensures that we always have a tidy room. In room entertainment is quite good with different channels and movies, and also a DVD player. We have received a list of films available at the reception for borrowing. The TV is very small and this has a room for improvement. I just hope that when they upgrade the TV, they keep the DVD option or at least they offer the possibility to download movies without extra charges.

We find our way easily here. The names of the venues are different than the names at the Azamara ships, but otherwise since the location is the same, no problem in getting around.

A very important place for us on a cruise is the library, on board the Sirena, the Library is an inviting room with many books. I wish there were a list of the books available, but I have not found one. This means selection of books is done by looking one by one at the titles.

Even though, this is not the easiest way of finding a book, I have managed to read two books from the library and I am reading my third one.

One of the books was about George Sand. Lonely and kind of a sad life. She was a woman ahead her time and she has lived in Paris in a time in which many artists, composers, writers were also in Paris. It must have been very interesting to get to know Victor Hugo, Flaubert Balzac…and of course her relationship to Friedrich Chopin. During that time he apparently composed his best pieces.

Another book, completely different style was about pirate hunters. It was about the search of a pirate ship, whose captain was Joseph Bannister. To find the wreck of a pirate ship is not easy (not many around), but the pirate hunters of the book I have read, found the wreck on the coasts of an island belonging to the Dominican Republic. The book was interesting and I have learned a lot about pirates and their code. Did you know that every body was to be treated equal on a pirate ship? From the Captain to the simple mariner all had the same rights?

Now I am reading something lighter, which gives a lot of insight in the traditions of Sicily. The author is Andrea Camilleri and through the cases of his personage Commisario Montalbano, he transport us to the wonderful island of Sicily.

With the help of Bodogbodog, I will try to post some pictures of the library (thanks Bodogbodog!)

Bye, bye

Ivi

Hi,

Yesterday we were at the Island of Royale, which belongs to French Guiana. There are 2 other islands next to Royale. One is called Devil’s Island and the other is called Saint Joseph. Together they are actually called Iles de Salut, but better known as Devil’s Island.

I remember reading a book called “Papillon” and also watching the movie of the same name. The main actors were Steve Mc Queen and Dustin Hoffman. Do you remember the movie?

The book was written by Henri Charriere and presented as his autobiography. We have learned yesterday from our lecturer on board, Don Klein, that Charriere, alias Papillon, was never on those islands. He did serve prison in French Guiana in the mainland, and escape from prison there once. But the escapes that he tells in his book were probably based on stories told to him by other prisoners. Not the story of his life. Nevertheless he made a lot of money with the book and with the movie.

Apparently there was one person who did manage to escape from the prison in the Island of Royal. His name was Charles de Rudio and later in life he moved to USA. He participated in the battle known as Custer’s last stand. He was apparently one of the few survivors. Amazing don't you think? Being able to escape twice from situations in which most people died…

At Island Royale we could see the remains of the French prison, which was in operation until 1946. Terrible conditions for the prisoners there. Apparently many died or went insane. I have made some pictures of the prisoners cells in the isolation area, of the guards houses and of views from Royale to the Devil’s Island for you to have an idea. At the time in which the prison was working, the isolation cells did not have a roof. Imagine…it rains from January to June, no roof, in isolation…

For us to visit this place was in fact a sobering experience. Our ship anchored and we used tenders to travel to Royale. The transfer went smooth. Once in the Island we walked for about 2 hours. It was hot and humid. Coconut palms everywhere and from the distance the islands look like a nice place. Once there, the heat and the humidity makes things quite difficult. Not really beaches around. There were some French speaking young people, even children, vacationing on Royale. There is kind of a hotel for that purpose. I am not sure that we would like to spend some days in Royale. We were quite impressed by the history of the place.

Am I too serious with this post? I apologized if this is the case. On a lighter note, last evening we had a great entertainer on board. His name is Jamie Michael Stewart, great music and great voice. Standing ovation for him.

Have a good day, bye bye,

Ivi

Some pictures from Ile Royale - I’m envious of Ivi as Papillon was one of my favourite books when growing up (and the sequel Banco) - a very testing environment for sure. The movie was ok but the books really painted a picture of the life in the penal colony

0ccfbf0ff8470129aea8decca619d9a6.jpg

b279f9cd64b84950363961da360d8e4b.jpg

4f30d99474748b97b71b3564f3f2d9b5.jpg

57e15746ebdcbdc4a60b8accff0fdc39.jpg

Great photos again Ivi we too found the place interesting, but were surprised that people chose to holiday there, much too humid and not a little depressing.

Thanks jo-b, the same as you we were surprised about so many young people vacationing there. My husband thinks that maybe they are people living on Cayenne, who need a break. We have not been in Cayenne, but we were told, the weather conditions there are worse.

Ivi

We are learning so much about the Amazon! Dr. Don Klein, is conducting several lectures on the topic. His lectures are very well visualized and for me easy to follow. I am grateful for the good visualization since I am hard of hearing and English is not my mother tongue.

The majority of passengers seem to be from English speaking countries. We were at a cocktail for returnees. Since this is our second cruise with Oceania, we were invited. There we learned that the majority of passengers come from USA, being Canadians in second place (French and English Canadians). In addition there are many Australians and people from New Zealand. We have met some Latin Americans and some Germans. Also we have heard that there are quite a few Dutch on board. I guess that many of us, who do not have English as a mother tongue, are benefitting from the good visualization of Dr Klein’s lectures.

There are about 11 sommeliers on board. I had already met the head sommelier during my previous cruises with Azamara, because he used to work there. The sommeliers rotate in all venues and all make a friendly impression. Our drink package allows us to have wines or beers with lunch and dinner, chosen per glass from a list available for that purpose. Since we actually mainly drink alcohol with meals, this package accommodates good to our needs. I have taken a photo of that list on the first day of our cruise and I will try to post it with the help of Bodogbodog. They are listed 11 white wines, 11 red wines, 3 rose wines, 1 champagne, 1 sparkling wine, 1 prosecco and many beers.

Now, as a passenger has mentioned in another thread, some of those wines offered, do not seem to be available anymore. We never had the chance to try the Malbec from Argentina, the Noble Merlot from California is not available anymore and we were told last evening that the Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand is also not available. We are also disappointed that those good wines are not served anymore. We assume however that a replacement with wines from similar quality will be offered. We have also noticed the disappearance of the olive oils in the Tuscan…As I have mentioned before on a previous post, we have seen that at Sirena, corrective action is taken quite rapidly when an issue is raised. I am not sure who is the beverage manager at Sirena but I will try to see if we can talk to him/her and see how the issue with the wines and olive oils is being approached.

We have talked to several people on this cruise. Not everybody seems to be satisfied with the cruise. Some are comparing to previous experiences with Oceania saying that this does not meet their expectations, some do not like the food, some told us that the cruise was too long, others that they are bored because they like to have more active vacations. But we have also met many people who are satisfied with the cruise experience. I think this is normal in any cruise. Experiences can be very different. Fortunately, we are still enjoying our cruise.

Bye, bye and have a good day.

Ivi

We have talked to several people on this cruise. Not everybody seems to be satisfied with the cruise. Some are comparing to previous experiences with Oceania saying that this does not meet their expectations, some do not like the food, some told us that the cruise was too long, others that they are bored because they like to have more active vacations. But we have also met many people who are satisfied with the cruise experience. I think this is normal in any cruise. Experiences can be very different. Fortunately, we are still enjoying our cruise.

I can see if some are disappointed with food - especially if comparing with prior cruises.

However, I do not understand people complaining about the cruise being too long - didn't they know how long the cruise is?

As far as expecting a more active vacations - this is where doing some research about the cruise line and destinations will be rewarding. Usually you get back what you put in :)

Ivi - travelberlin, Please post the wine list you referred to if at all possible. It would be nice to know what they are supposed to have but I am very concerned about them running out of basic choices.

This is the second cruise that has recently reported running out of basic, wine by the glass choices. I have personally experienced this problem on a couple of previous occasions. At the time I thought it was an unusual aberration. Apparently not at all unusal. Running out of Merlot and Cab Sav is really unacceptable. Oceania needs to step up and deal with this problem.

However, I do not understand people complaining about the cruise being too long - didn't they know how long the cruise is?

As far as expecting a more active vacations - this is where doing some research about the cruise line and destinations will be rewarding. Usually you get back what you put in :)

This is exactly what I think...besides that, what activities is concerned we have even the option to do jungle walks...:o

Ivi

Ivi - travelberlin, Please post the wine list you referred to if at all possible. It would be nice to know what they are supposed to have but I am very concerned about them running out of basic choices.

This is the second cruise that has recently reported running out of basic, wine by the glass choices. I have personally experienced this problem on a couple of previous occasions. At the time I thought it was an unusual aberration. Apparently not at all unusal. Running out of Merlot and Cab Sav is really unacceptable. Oceania needs to step up and deal with this problem.

Hi Robbie, I have made a photo of that list. Since I do not know how to post pictures in a CC thread, Bodogbodog (a cruise critic member) is helping me to post the pictures. I have already sent the photo to him. So just stayed tuned.

Concerning to the running out of wines, today at lunch, I have realized that there is a new list available with also a large selection. For example as alternative to the Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, they are offering a trivarietal called Francisca from the Napa Valley (my husband likes it). As alternative to the Malbec from Argentina there is a bivarietal called Black Opal from Australia (I like that one). I have seen that there is still a Chardonnay being offered. It is from the Ryder State, California. I will try to make a photo of the new list.

We are not afraid of not having any more wines for dinner.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

Which restaurant are those dishes from?

Whilst they’re making my mouth water I think the Crystal food is better presented

But Crystal just ran out of champagne on their holiday cruise in South Africa due to a provisioning issue so they’re not perfect either

Here you go...

441d37407db3beca696d158abd62ac5a.jpg

ca678cb2a78091de97f23e852c69addd.jpg

011ea228fdf86cc58976cdc6e840414d.jpg

4a961a9322e42a3d1e4abeff36fd67ed.jpg

Edited by Bodogbodog

Two photos (quinoa tabule and the salad nicoise with salmon) were from the main restaurant at lunch time. The lobster pad tai was from the Red Ginger.

No cruise is really perfect Bodogbodog, but Crystal run once out of champagne? This would be for me reason for lots of complains. I do not mind drinking a Chardonnay from Ryder State, instead of a Chardonnay from Wooldbridge, or having a Shiraz instead of a Malbec, but there is no replacement for Champagne!

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Ivi

Good afternoon everyone, we are at the moment in Parintins, a port on the Amazon river. We came back from the port and about our experiences about this port and other ports we are visiting along the Amazon river I will report later on another post.

My husband and me were talking over lunch, what a privilege it is to be able to do this type of travel. Specially we were talking about how much we appreciate the service on board the ships we have taken.

In all ships in which we were, we have met friendly crew members, who come from all over the world. We have met people from Indonesia, specially from that beautiful island of Bali, from Honduras, from Philippines, from Peru, from Brazil, from Croatia, from Italy, from Serbia, from Jamaica and from other countries which I am forgetting to mention…All those crew members have in one way or another helped to make us feel at home on a cruise. We are grateful to all those people.

We know working on a cruise ship is not easy. They are not on holidays here, like we are. I remember a conversation many years ago with a guy from Fortaleza on a cruise ship. It was his first time on a cruise ship. He looked not very sure of what to do or if he was able to make it. He was an assistant waiter and made some mistakes. We talked for a while and I said to him, to hold on. His job was hard but I was sure he was able to make it. We met him 2 years later and he was a well appreciated head waiter on the same company. He is for sure, if he is still on a ship, moving on to better positions. On a way I think, all of us who have worked, have had moments of doubt, we did not always feel like smiling or happy at our jobs, but this is normal. I guess that we were able to make it…, like that guy from Fortaleza…

Now specifically to this cruise on the Oceania Sirena, we appreciate very much that the crew is there to help us feel at home. Coming from a humid and hot environment like the one on the Amazon to be greeted with the friendly “welcome home” from the security personnel is something nice. Then, at lunch, the very attentive sommelier, who not only seems to guess what we would like to drink, but who also recommends a good wine to pair with our food selection. Our waiter, who takes our orders, compliments us for having chosen well and then suggests a nice dessert to finish our meal. The guy at the Barista, who we just met on town while we were touring, and who probably after only a couple of hours came back to the ship to prepare nice coffees. The manager from Red Ginger, who is around at the MDR for lunch, and always comes to greet us when she sees us, asking if every thing is fine…

This people are only an example of what we experience in terms of service. This post is to thank all the crew members, who are helping us to have a nice cruise experience.

In case you are wondering: We are not shareholders, have no relative working for a cruise line or are loyalists of a particular cruise line. ☺️

Ivi

…All those crew members have in one way or another helped to make us feel at home on a cruise. We are grateful to all those people.

This post is to thank all the crew members, who are helping us to have a nice cruise experience.

That is a very nice testimony about the crew and all their kindness and hard work. I wish all cruisers felt the same and treated the crew with gratitude. It saddens me to read posts from cruisers who seem to be spoiled and have the entitlement mentality - they complain about everything and don't realize what a blessing it is to be able to take cruise vacations. Thanks again for your kind words.

No cruise is really perfect Bodogbodog, but Crystal run once out of champagne? This would be for me reason for lots of complains. I do not mind drinking a Chardonnay from Ryder State, instead of a Chardonnay from Wooldbridge, or having a Shiraz instead of a Malbec, but there is no replacement for Champagne!

Ivi

True - and I too would have been very dissapointed. The problem arose as 7 truck loads of supplies were not able to be loaded in Capetown - it sounds like that port is a challenge with all sorts of issues arising

Sadly Crystal have run out of champagne once before, a couple of years ago now, can’t recall why that time

I’d be telling them they need to serve from the reserve selection in such cases - as you say Champagne is Champagne - not sparkling wine or Proseco

Keep the photos coming - it’s my pleasure to post them up for you