Live from Oceania Sirena (December 16th to January 20th)

travelberlin

That you travel berlin for your live cruise reports, they are really interesting.

We too have cruised with Dottie, good trivia questions and her catchphrase was very apt "you learn something new every day!"

That you travel berlin for your live cruise reports, they are really interesting.

We too have cruised with Dottie, good trivia questions and her catchphrase was very apt "you learn something new every day!"

We like her as well with one exception - she is a rabid Steelers fan :(

Travelberlin— I really enjoy reading your posts. We have never sailed on Oceania but are thinking about it and your posts are really helpful. Thanks! Janet

Hi Janet, thanks for reading my posts. I see that you are an experienced Crystal cruiser. We have sailed twice with Crystal. We are booked on the WC 2019 with the Serenity.

Ivi

Hello Darcie, the cruise director is Dottie Kulasa. Have you sailed with her?

This is our second cruise with Oceania, but our first one was 10 years ago. In fact, I have the feeling that I am getting to know Oceania for the first time...

Ivi

Hi Ivi. Yes, we've sailed with Dottie a few times. She certainly makes a difference on a cruise !!!!

Acapulco…the name sounds so good…I remember associating Acapulco with endless beaches and love and honeymoons. Yesterday Acapulco was our port of call. Today while I sit in the Horizons lounge on the 10th floor, I am trying to reflect on this port. Several passengers are spending some time on this lounge right now. Some just reading, playing cards, doing some crafts and a gentleman painting with watercolors. I have tried to learn how to paint once, and I have even produced a couple of pictures. I was particularly proud of one picture, which was inspired from the Victoria falls. A friend’s opinion was that it looked more like a water flooding than a water fall, so you can imagine that I am not good at it…anyhow that picture is hanging on our home.

We took a ship’s excursion in Acapulco. Being the place known for violence due to drug’s cartels trying to dominate the city, we have thought it better not to do it on our own. We went to see the Cliff divers, the Flamingos hotel, the Brisas gated community with a Chapel on the top and the San Diego Fort. Four very intensive hours. Our driver was also the guide, who made me a little nervous negotiating the van with one hand and holding the microphone on the other. The tour was conducted in small vans and our group had 8 people.

Acapulco is not anymore the place in which film stars used to build houses and spend their time or JF Kennedy and his wife Jackie spent their honeymoon. The Flamingos, once an exclusive club, has unfortunately not aged well. Lack of proper maintenance is seen in all the previously exclusive neighborhoods. The jet sett has moved to other locations and the honeymooners probably also. Due to its relatively proximity to Mexico City (about 4 hours drive) Acapulco has still lots of tourists. Apparently the tourists are mainly coming from the Capital.

The Las Brisas neighborhood shows expensive and secluded houses belonging to wealthy Mexicans. Wonderful views of Acapulco can be seen from the hills of Las Brisas and from the Chapel inside the gated community. To my opinion Acapulco is mainly photogenic from the hills.

Impressive was to see the cliff divers. It is amazing what the divers do every day to earn their living. This is a dangerous undertaking. I am not sure how the custom started. Maybe one of you know? In any case I have the feeling that the divers are doing it know to earn some money and to present a show to us, tourists. The place was certainly filled with tourists mainly from our ship.

Just across the street from our cruise terminal was the Fort of San Diego. Small and not the nicest fort we have visited. However I have learned some things new there. Did you know that Spain did not have a direct contact with the Philippines during the time of the colony? The Philippines were apparently named so, after Felipe II and were a colony from Spain during 250 years. However, the administration and relationships to that colony were all done through another Spanish colony, called Nueva España, which is today Mexico. Interesting to learn at that small Fort in Acapulco, of the role of Mexico in linking the motherland Spain to Asia. I will read more about that subject once I have a better internet.

Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo and Acapulco were the Mexican ports during our cruise. Although not the first time for me in Mexico (I have spent some time in Mexico City and Tasco about 15 years ago, and I have visited Cozumel during another cruise) somehow I had a better feeling for this country at this time. We had talked to friendly, interesting locals and appreciated their hospitality. I find very disturbing what is happening in cities like Acapulco or Cancun in terms of violence. Even last night there were apparently some people found hanging from a bridge in Baja California. More and more touristic places are being targeted. Those occurrences are so common that they hardly make the news. I am more conscious now about what is going on in Mexico and I pray that there is and end of the violence.

Ivi

I will say that I enjoy the buffet on the "R" ships. The buffet on the "O" ships IS superior -- they have much more room. But I know people who will refuse to dine in the MDR on both ships and by default will go to the buffet. Clearly they must enjoy it ...

We go to the MDR by default unless we have booked a specialty for that night... if the menu doesn't appeal (which isn't often), or if we are tired, we will go to the buffet.

Mura

Unless things have changed since we were on Sirena last year (and perhaps they have), the MDR does not become Jacque's Bistro at lunch. When we were on board (October 2016) there was a blackboard featuring selections from the Jacques menu but this was in addition to the regular MDR lunch menu for the day.

Mura

Now it really looks like Oceania only offers the Jacques Bistro menu at lunch on the MDR. I have not seen any MDR regular menu. Since I do not know what was offered before I can not tell if this change is for the better or not. But we do like the Jacques Bistro options at lunch.

Ivi

I suppose it depends on many offerings there are in the GDR at lunch (so far as Lyn says I believe just on Sirena). When we were on board in October 2016 there were perhaps half a dozen choices from Jacques PLUS the usual lunch menu -- which usually has several hot offerings, several sandwiches, a special menu from a cuisine. For example, on our recent Marina cruise one day they featured Philippine food, another day it was Mexican. (These happen to be huge portions that could usually feed two people.)

It remains to be seen what happens fleet-wide, I guess.

Mura

I think on Sirena it was just the Jacques Bistro at lunch the other ships may have different options still

Sirena is different than the other Oceania ships in their dining venues

I suppose it depends on many offerings there are in the GDR at lunch (so far as Lyn says I believe just on Sirena). When we were on board in October 2016 there were perhaps half a dozen choices from Jacques PLUS the usual lunch menu -- which usually has several hot offerings, several sandwiches, a special menu from a cuisine. For example, on our recent Marina cruise one day they featured Philippine food, another day it was Mexican. (These happen to be huge portions that could usually feed two people.)

Mura

Several months ago Oceania announced they were introducing the Jacque's Bistro at lunch fleet wide.

Mura

Near the end of our Riviera cruise this month we finally made to the GDR for lunch

The menu was one page with some Bistro dishes & some sandwiches.soups. salads

Quite a change from previous cruise lunch menus (wish I had taken the camera)

So maybe people are just not going to the GDR for lunch & they have shortened the offerings

Oceania was 10 years ago our second ocean experience. First one was Silversea. Now more than 50 cruises later we remember why we did not book again with Oceania...

We love the experience on board, but it is difficult to do a next cruise booking while on board.

Ivi

Today we were at Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala. From here the most interesting place to visit is Antigua. Since we were already a couple of times in Antigua, today we have just stayed around the port. Not much to see but there are a couple of shops, which sell handicrafts from Guatemala. We have bought a nice Nativity set, which is now accompanying us on our cruise.

After the afternoon tea, we have enjoyed a lovely sunset. Pictures will be posted with the help from Bododbodog.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Ivi

I'm confused, Ivi. Do you *only* consider booking a next cruise while on board? There ARE other options! The only time we booked on board (and that was in 2005), we ended up cancelling.

I would suggest that you check the options at the website (not hard to do) and then talk to an Oceania TA.

It's quite likely that I misunderstood your comment ...

Mura

I'm confused, Ivi. Do you *only* consider booking a next cruise while on board? There ARE other options! The only time we booked on board (and that was in 2005), we ended up cancelling.

I would suggest that you check the options at the website (not hard to do) and then talk to an Oceania TA.

It's quite likely that I misunderstood your comment ...

Mura

You are absolutely right Mura and thank you for reminding me that there are other options than booking on board.

To clarify myself, I like to book on board when I think this is an experience I would like to repeat. My husband jokes about it saying that I refuse to leave a ship without booking a next cruise with that cruise company...

Ivi

Oceania was 10 years ago our second ocean experience. First one was Silversea. Now more than 50 cruises later we remember why we did not book again with Oceania...

We love the experience on board, but it is difficult to do a next cruise booking while on board.

Ivi

I guess I am confused also

We do not book onboard but I often have seen a line outside the Club Ambassador's office on the larger O class ships so people must not have a problem.

or maybe you are complaining because you have to stand in line to book another cruise :confused: