Charging for mixers?!!

twroths

I think a gin & tonic / bourbon & coke etc, as a prepared long drink should be one price.

If you order fish&chips, it's one price for the plate, isn't it?

If you order a gin and a separate tonic, this could be charged as two drinks.

Have you all noticed that the British guests onboard, no matter how awful the food (and it was awful on the QM2 carrib r/t New York) nov- or how overpriced the skimpy drinks find it hard to say anything critical about Cunard????!!! Why is that??? All Cunard is now

is a name---Back to Princess for me!!!

Have you all noticed that the British guests onboard, no matter how awful the food (and it was awful on the QM2 carrib r/t New York) nov- or how overpriced the skimpy drinks find it hard to say anything critical about Cunard????!!! Why is that??? All Cunard is now

I think you could be right. Having been in the service hospitality & hotel industry for the best part of my life ,I find it's our American customers who are always the most difficult to please.

Prices for drinks on Princess are just as expensive as on Cunard and food is very subjective and what one person might not like another will think is good.

Prices for drinks on Princess are just as expensive as on Cunard and food is very subjective and what one person might not like another will think is good.

Drinks are not as costly on Princess-Last year on Carib Princess from Norway to New York we never paid as much as on QM -And those of us who are Platinum or better are invited every night to the Skywalker Lounge for a huge buffet ,one night shrimp as far as the eye can see, one night Mexican theme, one night a 50 pound wheel of blue cheese, one night suchi....and half price drinks!!! Princess REWARDS their past guests!!! And every day at 4 in one of the bars, are 2 for 1 drinks......anything you want!!! And the food is eatable, unlike the sad food (Tough, dry, no butter lobster tails) on QM2- Some people are fine with sub standard food and drink----Some want better on high priced vacation..

Drinks are not as costly on Princess-Last year on Carib Princess from Norway to New York we never paid as much as on QM -And those of us who are Platinum or better are invited every night to the Skywalker Lounge for a huge buffet ,one night shrimp as far as the eye can see, one night Mexican theme, one night a 50 pound wheel of blue cheese, one night suchi....and half price drinks!!! Princess REWARDS their past guests!!! And every day at 4 in one of the bars, are 2 for 1 drinks......anything you want!!! And the food is eatable, unlike the sad food (Tough, dry, no butter lobster tails) on QM2- Some people are fine with sub standard food and drink----Some want better on high priced vacation..

Sorry to hear you had such a disappointing trip, enjoy your future cruises on Princess.

I have never experienced the food problems you describe on Cunard, I wouldn't sail with them regularly if I had.

I think a gin & tonic / bourbon & coke etc, as a prepared long drink should be one price.

If you order fish&chips, it's one price for the plate, isn't it?

If you order a gin and a separate tonic, this could be charged as two drinks.

Depends were you buy your fish and chips from. In a restaurant, yes, there will be a price for fish and chips. But in a chip shop, there is one price for fish and another for chips. The price for F&C is simply the sum of the two.

In a pub, there's a price for gin and a price for tonic. So a gin would cost less than a gin and tonic.

Have you all noticed that the British guests onboard, no matter how awful the food (and it was awful on the QM2 carrib r/t New York) nov- or how overpriced the skimpy drinks find it hard to say anything critical about Cunard????!!! Why is that???

Yes.

It's a British thing.

But it is getting better because it's related to age. So older people will not complain, but younger people will. And as those younger people grow older, they will still be complaining if they get poor food or service.

As time goes on, many companies are going to have to up their game or they will go out of business because their customers will not accept their product, whilst in the past they could get away with it because people would generally not say anything.

One small example; A few years ago I was eating in a pub with my wife and her parents. Both of my in-laws food arrived and it was a disgrace. I asked them about it and they assured me that "no, it's fine". (They had ordered Fish and Chips as it happens, and what was on their plat was a triangle fish). It was only some time afterwards that they admitted it was awful but they would not say that to me at the time because they knew I would insisted on speaking to the landlord/manager.

I think you could be right. Having been in the service hospitality & hotel industry for the best part of my life ,I find it's our American customers who are always the most difficult to please.

That's because most British people will not say anything because they have been brought up to think that complaining about poor food and/or service is not the done thing. Thankfully, Americans don't think like that.

I'll also add the drinks are weak compared to other lines, as Cunard does an exact measured pour where as many other cruise lines do more of a free pour (American standard).

That's because in the UK all drinks must be sold in an exact measured volume. It's a very serious offence and a pub/bar etc would have it's alcohol licence revoked if they did not. Even bottled alcohol can only be sold in specific amounts.

That's because in the UK all drinks must be sold in an exact measured volume. It's a very serious offence and a pub/bar etc would have it's alcohol licence revoked if they did not. Even bottled alcohol can only be sold in specific amounts.

Makes sense if QM2 were registered in the UK, but she is registered in Bermuda just like the ships of Princess Cruises. The drinks are a lot stronger on Princess. Seems to be more of an American standard. Oh well, it is what it is. I really love Cunard so it’s just one of those things I’ll deal with. No line is perfect.

Makes sense if QM2 were registered in the UK, but she is registered in Bermuda just like the ships of Princess Cruises. The drinks are a lot stronger on Princess. Seems to be more of an American standard. Oh well, it is what it is. I really love Cunard so it’s just one of those things I’ll deal with. No line is perfect.

Yes, I was expecting someone to make that observation, quite correctly of course

I suspect it's because it suits Cunard to measure drinks like we do in the UK. But then charge you in dollars. Any one would think Cunard were picking and choosing things for the benefit of themselves as opposed to the benefit of their customers.

Cunard spirits are stronger than in the UK becaue they are bigger a single measure is 1oz(29.6ml) and a 2oz(59.1ml) in the UK it is the law that all drinks served should be single measure 25ml and a double 50ml.

Well, actually, the spirits are exactly the same strength in both the UK, the US, and on a Cunard ship.

Well, actually, the spirits are exactly the same strength in both the UK, the US, and on a Cunard ship.

I was not saying the spirit is different strength but if you ordered a whisky and lemonade it would be stronger because there would be more spirit in the drink 29.6ml as compared to 25ml in the UK so you would get more whisky.

Even though 35ml is an official measurement in the UK I have never to my thoughts been in a pub or hotel where they have served this as a measure it has always been 25ml or multiples thereof.
Funny enough the only 35ml i've encountered was in a pub in Toadies Chester,lol.

Even though 35ml is an official measurement in the UK I have never to my thoughts been in a pub or hotel where they have served this as a measure it has always been 25ml or multiples thereof.

I think I've seen it only a couple of times myself, it certainly is very rare to come across somewhere that does it.

I was not saying the spirit is different strength but if you ordered a whisky and lemonade it would be stronger because there would be more spirit in the drink 29.6ml as compared to 25ml in the UK so you would get more whisky.

I know. I was just pointing out the strength bit and not the volume bit !

When Cunard served shorts in the 1.5oz size, that was 44ml, so not far off a UK double. I think the 1.5oz was better than the 1oz or 2oz sizes now. I don't know why I think that, it just seems a better size somehow, maybe because it's pretty much a UK double and I know what that means.