Charging for mixers?!!

twroths

Just off QM2 from a EB TA (M745) and was appalled to find that they are now charging for mixers with cocktails. Something like $1.29 for tonic or soda with a mixed drink! I have always was pleased that they didn't really charge a premium for beverages (land prices, as I called them) but now the alcohol price has gone up a dollar or two and they are charging for mixers. It is purely a Carnival scam and a money grab. I love Cunard and love QM2, but what a crock.

I did note that in my survey but will also let my Travel Agent and Cunard know directly.

Opinions?

Tom

I agree completely and I mentioned it a few times on this forum. I don't know of any other cruise line that charges separately for mixers, and I sail the vast majority of them. It think it's a total rip off and just a way for Cunard to get more $$ per drink. I'll also add the drinks are weak compared to other lines, as Cunard does an exact measured pour where as many other cruise lines do more of a free pour (American standard).

I'll add something else. Cunard is also the only line I know of that has both Coke and Pepsi products onboard. On most lines it's one or the other. I like a Barcardi & Diet Coke. That is my drink of choice and I'm very much in the habit of ordering a Barcardi & Diet Coke and not a Barcardi & Diet Pepsi, even though I'm fine with Diet Pepsi. On QM2 when I ordered my drink, I was presented with a shot of Barcardi in a glass and a side of a small bottle of Diet Coke. The price for this drink was just about $14. Ridiculous because of the small bottle of Diet Coke. Now Pepsi and Diet Pepsi is out of the bar gun and it's less expensive, but you have to remember to say Barcardi and Diet Pepsi. Hard habit to break.

I love Cunard and QM2 is probably my favorite ship afloat, but this left a sour taste in my mouth and honestly I thought Cunard was better than this. I might expect it on Carnival, but even they don't resort to such low tactics.

Z's and P's ? You talk in riddles !

I'll take a stab at this one. I think the "Z" refers to "Zenith" status, the highest level of Celebrity's Captain's Club and the "P" refers to "Pinnacle" status, the highest level of Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor Society.

Regards,

John

As many raise concerns regarding paying, and or prices for drinks.

Therefore, to end a regular venting, may one suggest complaining cruisers spend more time on X and RCL to achieve the status of Z's and P's, like us.

I do sail both lines often, enough to reach Diamond and Elite Plus status. I think the free nightly drinks is one of the best past pax benefits of any line, and I sail most of them. I’m also Diamond on Cunard. No free drinks but I do enjoy the free internet.

I don’t mind paying for drinks. I just don’t like being ripped off.

I drink rum and diet coke. Does this mean the coke is charged also? Not sure the definition of mixer.

Exactly. One charge for the rum, and a separate charge for the Diet Coke. Keep in mind they only have small bottles of Diet Coke so just the Diet Coke will be about $4. They will bring the bottle on the side and you mix your own drink. It’s cheaper if you switch to Diet Pepsi as they have that out of the bar gun then your drink will arrive mixed, but still two separate charges.

I do not drink shorts, but are you charged for water with a whiskey, and what about soda water, I have been told soda water is a waste product, I remember years ago a Soda syphon was on many a bar and it was free.��.

No charge for regular water, but I believe yes for soda water. They have those in little bottles as well. Not sure about soda water from the bar gun.

Unfortunately I have had to delete several posts from this thread as they do not comply with our Guidelines.

These can be found here

Thank you for your cooperation.

damn..Ive been away for a couple of days...what did i miss....its that same ole story...you should have been here yesterday....!

on another note....just booked a week on the Explorer of the seas....now that is going to make for an interesting blog... anyone else walked on this wild side and can give me an insight?

damn..Ive been away for a couple of days...what did i miss....its that same ole story...you should have been here yesterday....!

on another note....just booked a week on the Explorer of the seas....now that is going to make for an interesting blog... anyone else walked on this wild side and can give me an insight?

Looking forward to the blog Roscoe and please let us know whether they charge extra for mixers.

I sail Royal Caribbean and Celebrity often. I enjoy them both. Very different from Cunard but variety is the spice of life. I hope you enjoy the experience.

Also no separate charge for mixers when you order a cocktail. The drinks are cheaper and stronger than Cunard. Win win there.

haha Hattie...

thanks Eroller....I must admit to being a bit hesitant but it was a good deal and as it is obvious Ive missed out on the waitlist for the QV in Jan its a small consolation.

I hope the blog isn't too blasphemous...

Did a cruise with NCL last Christmas. Drinks package was included so can't comment on the mixer question but I can comment on measures. We went to the theatre one night and there is a bar as you enter the foyer (Breakaway), some high end whiskys are included in the package so DH and I both ordered a Chivas Regal on the rocks. I have to say I got a little worried when he nearly filled the tumbler with whisky but we both fought valiantly and drank the whole lot.

Must admit that by the time I had finished my drink I didn't know if the ship was rolling a little or whether it was me :D

Did read right, a rum and diet coke was 14 dollars? Paying separately for the mixer seems off to me. I don't think I have ever seen that in any bar I have ever been in. If you see a price for a drink on a menu then that should be the price including the splash of diet coke they put in the glass. I would think the next up charge could be for Ice. Think of the energy it takes to freeze the water and keep it frozen till you consume it. And the ship needs to buy the water for the ship to use. They have to make sure it is clean to drink. It would be perfect to up charge for Ice in a drink. I may contact Carnival Corp. and make that suggestion. I never really think of budget when I travel. Now, I may need to save just a little more prior to sailing again.

Did read right, a rum and diet coke was 14 dollars? Paying separately for the mixer seems off to me. I don't think I have ever seen that in any bar I have ever been in. If you see a price for a drink on a menu then that should be the price including the splash of diet coke they put in the glass. I would think the next up charge could be for Ice. Think of the energy it takes to freeze the water and keep it frozen till you consume it. And the ship needs to buy the water for the ship to use. They have to make sure it is clean to drink. It would be perfect to up charge for Ice in a drink. I may contact Carnival Corp. and make that suggestion. I never really think of budget when I travel. Now, I may need to save just a little more prior to sailing again.

Yes you read that right. It’s a few dollars cheaper if you order Diet Pepsi as the mixer since it’s out of the bar gun and not a separate bottle like Diet Coke. Cunard is the only line in the cruise industry I know of that operates this way. Guess it makes the bean counters happy.

Yes you read that right. It’s a few dollars cheaper if you order Diet Pepsi as the mixer since it’s out of the bar gun and not a separate bottle like Diet Coke. Cunard is the only line in the cruise industry I know of that operates this way. Guess it makes the bean counters happy.

P&O cruises also charge extra for mixers if you buy a spirit i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc. which is generally the norm in all UK pubs.

P&O cruises also charge extra for mixers if you buy a spirit i.e. whisky, vodka, brandy etc. which is generally the norm in all UK pubs.

Well I certainly see where the influence is coming from, since both Cunard and P&O are operated out of the same UK Southampton office. It never used to be this way when Princess ran Cunard.

If Cunard wants to do things like P&O, why not chance the onboard currency to British pounds? I never understood why it’s still in US dollars.

Well anyway it’s one of the few things I truly dislike about Cunard. I have no desire to sail P&O.

I don’t remember paying extra last last May for my tonic in my gin on P&O, is that a new thing too. Having said that the cost of drinks on P&O are much cheaper on that line even after taking into account the exchange rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t remember paying extra last last May for my tonic in my gin on P&O, is that a new thing too. Having said that the cost of drinks on P&O are much cheaper on that line even after taking into account the exchange rate.

P&O currently charge upwards from £3-25 depending on the spirit for a single (25ml) measure and anything you add whether it be from a bottle/can or a splash from a soda gun is charged as an extra.

P&O currently charge upwards from £3-25 depending on the spirit for a single (25ml) measure and anything you add whether it be from a bottle/can or a splash from a soda gun is charged as an extra.

That’s not far off half the Cunard price

Go on the Cunard UK website and put in the question " how much are drinks" Then click on the drinks menu for the Commodore bar on the Queen Mary II and you will find a list for Gin AND Tonic......nowhere does it show a separate price for tonic !!!!!!!

I am going to print out the menu and take it with me on my trip on Queen Mary II in January !!

Go on the Cunard UK website and put in the question " how much are drinks" Then click on the drinks menu for the Commodore bar on the Queen Mary II and you will find a list for Gin AND Tonic......nowhere does it show a separate price for tonic !!!!!!!

I am going to print out the menu and take it with me on my trip on Queen Mary II in January !!

That is because no one at head office ( and that's the North American Brand for you :mad:) aint bothered yet to correct what has been printed on line.

You'll find the correct info in the 'onboard drinks list', or via your server.

The price of the brands of spirits are listed separately, and on the next page is a list & price of the mixes available.

For better value, ( and a good drink) it works out much better to purchase the 2 oz measure and a bottled tonic, rather than from the gun.

Just to add, if one enjoys a good 'Gin & T' then the best value is to visit the new Gin& Fizz bar, already set up on the Vista class ships. Much better value for a $ more, and a good long drink too. ;)