and so it begins....Dec/Jan Circumnavigation of Australia on Regatta

cbb

Very interesting description of your shorex to Kokoda Track. I've never heard of this part of the war. Has there ever been any mention of headhunters or cannibalism in PNG on your tours? Just curious. Because of volcano on Bali, will you be going there?

Palakika--

our guide mentioned that cannibalism was practiced by the great-grandfathers but when the missionaries came to PNG the locals realized that it wasn't "the thing to do" so stopped.

The majority of PNG, he said, is Christian with Catholicism the majority, the Seventh Day Adventists, and a wide variety of other Christian churches are also here.

On the way to Kokoda yesterday we were on a road with an SDA church and the guide said everybody that lived on that road went to that church....pretty handy for getting to services on their Sabbath!

From what I read in some of my Dad's papers he would say "Thanks" to all of your Dads for building that runway! He spent some time down there as a navigator in the Army Air Corps. He used to say he was always glad to see that part of the world appear. Never could get him to go back, closest I could get him was Hawaii. He had nightmares about his time down there.

ORV..interesting that your father was also on Tinian. Apparently the runway they built there was quite something for a small so pac island.

From what I read in some of my Dad's papers he would say "Thanks" to all of your Dads for building that runway! He spent some time down there as a navigator in the Army Air Corps. He used to say he was always glad to see that part of the world appear. Never could get him to go back, closest I could get him was Hawaii. He had nightmares about his time down there.

He also was in Saipan, Guam & Hawaii. My Father loved that part of the world, at one point he looked seriously into us moving there in the late 60's. The lack of educational opportunities at the time was the deciding factor against going there. Obviously he tolerated heat better than I. On our jaunt from Sydney to Papeete a couple of years ago the heat was miserable.

Used to love the tropical climate as I was born and raised in Hawaii. But as an older person, the humidity can get to me so know what you mean about that kind of heat! That said, we're signed up for our 5th cruise in the south Pac Sydney to LA. Have done 13 with O.

ORV,

Dad brought many of the wounded back stateside and was also wounded himself eventually. I guess he just saw too much and it finally got to him. He didn't talk about it until his final days and then it all came out. He did write about it and left those papers to me and they aren't "pretty". Some are amazing! It is a wonder some of those men lived to tell the stories. The deserve to be call the Greatest Generation!

Happy New Year from the Van Diemen Strait --headed to Darwin! Just a few hours until Jan 1, 2018 so I thought I'd tell you what was available for our pleasure on board today.

Indoor Golf Putting, Church Service, Beginner's & Intermediate & Duplicate & Social Bridge Play, Coffee Chat & Needlepoint, Bean Toss, Ping Pong, Mahjong, Solo Travelers Lunch, Bingo, Wine Tasting, Boulles, Shuffleboard, Martini Tasting, Tea Time, Team Trivia, a Comedy Act in the Lounge, and 5 opportunities to hear music tonight in Horizons, Martinis, Grand Bar, and Regatta Lounge.

We also were treated to 3 enrichment lectures: Dan Ostler spoke on WWII in Australia, Great Barrier Reef Pilot Captain Wel Gamble told stories about his job, and Dr Russell Moll educated us on Waves and Ocean Currents.

In Trivia we learned that tomorrow begins the 15th year of Oceania Cruise Line!!! We came in 3rd once again--consistency is our name!

One could be as busy or as lazy as one wanted to be today--people walking the track, in the pool, in the shade, reading on verandas, having a massage....just a lovely day at sea!

Happy New Year 2018 to you all! May it be a sweet and healthy year for us all.

No rough seas and currently sailing towards Darwin and the sun is up and it is going to be a beautiful day.

Yesterday many were remarking of the seas....it looked glassy it was sooooo smooth!

So far haven't heard many grumpy people--probably because Aussies are on board and also the nature of this cruise is pretty tropical leading to pretty relaxed people.

Off to breakfast!

Yesterday we docked in Darwin and we 6 were among the first off. Grabbed the shuttle bus waiting to take us into town and from there, seeing that there were no waiting cabs, Jennie called for one. BTW, the shuttle drops you off in a great location to explore the downtown and the Visitor's Center is right there at the stop.

I swear it couldn't have been 3 minutes before the cab arrived, giving us just enough time to meet a Visitor's Center Greeter who was holding a baby crocodile which we were able to "pet" or at least get a feel for its skin texture!

Off we went to Avis at the airport to get our Kia van, Peter climbed into the driver's seat, Jennie into shotgun, the 2 guys just behind and the 2 girls in the back! The cab driver gave us a brief introduction to what we were seeing out the windows as we headed to the airport.

Jennie knew, with Regatta leaving at 6, that we could not drive to Litchfield National Park and get to Avis on the return trip and feel comfortable with our margin of time left so she directed us to Berry Springs Park.

We were told to bring our swimsuits but when we arrived we discovered rangers had posted signs that said the water level was up due to rains and run-off so no swimming due to increased danger of crocodiles.

Again, it did not seem to stop the locals from jumping into the tropical pools but we "mature" ones weren't as eager to risk it. Cathi did dangle her feet into the water from a little concrete dock but that was pretty much it for swimming.

The park is lovely, lots of birds, and very green tree canopies all contributed to the feeling of being in a tropical paradise. And of course, the water was this amazing azure color--we wanted to go in but common sense prevailed--so we took lots of pictures.

Upon our park exit we stopped at giant termite mounds in the middle of a cow pasture--well over 10' tall--and took lots of pictures. The cows were standing in the shadows of the mounds--smart cows! Cathi wanted to stop and see them so Dave way-pointed them and Peter was able to take us there!!! Definitely a group effort stop.

Peter has been doing an excellent job driving, despite having 4 back seat drivers giving him all sorts of sage advice and Jennie is organized to the max! What wonderful traveling companions these Aussies are and it helps that they know how to drive on the LEFT as the signs keep exhorting us!!!

We then pulled onto the Arnhem Highway which had significance for Aussies in WII. There was an airfield/ historical monument along the road, complete with realistic mock-ups of the planes that the men would have flown, and pictures of the airfield, so of course we all had to stop there.

Also along the side of the road was part of a stretch of a runway that the pilots would have used to get to Strauss Field. Good job historical commission!!!

I had emailed Jennie months and months ago that if were in the area of Humpty Doo, i would like to stop and buy a tee shirt at the bar/pub and it worked out perfectly that we were able to go there for lunch.

Lots of trucks with strange storage capabilities, trucks pulling small boats, a few vans like ours and several locals under the large overhang eating lunch. We were all called "love" a lot and it was a very genial lunch bunch--beer may have played a role and yes, I got my tee shirt and Cathi got shorts.

It is a locally known stop on the Arnhem Highway and from Humpty Doo the road headed straight back to Darwin, which is what we did!

We located the "Woolies" (Woolworths,) one of the large grocery store chains, and stocked up on needed supplies-- mostly Arnott products (cookies/ biscuits) and chips/crisps. I think there might have been some gin/tonic ingredients purchased as well!

We dropped off the car at the Avis in town location and loaded with provisions walked the few blocks to where Dave had way-pointed the shuttle drop-off. One had just arrived so we boarded and took off, arriving back at the ship by 3.

We shared the shuttle with 3 crew members and they too had several bags of essentials!

Quick shower and on to Trivia. Came in 4th but I do have a bone to pick with the other contestants.

2 of the groups have 9 people participating and the rules, clearly stated, say only 8. We have only had 7 for the entire cruise (Dave isn't into trivia, but we could have used him for a couple of tech questions) so I told our group we should go recruit 3 more making our group number 10 and see if anyone else says anything!

Ok...griping over!!! Have a great day! Stay warm American & Canadians--it looks cold there!!!

Edited by cbb

Sea day today on lovely flat waters and in the distance we can see storm clouds.

Dave said it absolutely poured rain while we were all at trivia yesterday afternoon so we were glad the storm held off until we got our provisions safely aboard! So far we've been lucky...it has just rained at night. Bruce said there was quite a lightning show last night.

Tomorrow is Komodo! We've been there before ATW but will leave ship on a shorex, take more pictures, and then shop at the little market--the real reason to get off!

Bruce will help me bargain for a tee shirt--I'll probably get it in red just for the joke--and perhaps look at the pearl earrings!

Life is good and all is well at sea!

The Humpty Doo is at the corner of the Arnhem and Stuart Highway so we took the Stuart back into Darwin--my bad!

yes, there were several venues for listening to music and dancing. There was 60s and 70s music in one and 80s & 90s in another and then the chamber group was playing elsewhere so there was a wide variety for passengers' listening pleasure.

Because we wanted to be out early the next morning our group was all in bed by 10:30 telling ourselves that in Sydney it was midnight! Worked for us....and from what I overheard later, going to bed early was something that many of us did.

It was 34 yesterday morning when we got off ship and the heat is draining...particularly for those of us who aren't used to it. Even the Aussies were wilting...they said the humidity was what was getting to them and it being in it all day wipes us out....either that or we're getting old.......nah......couldn't be that!!!

We are loving the Circumnavigation of our country on the Regatta, especially showing some of the highlights to our Canadian and U.S. friends. Cynthia is a great blogger and Pete and I are enjoying reading where we have been. Dave takes wonderful photos so if you are enjoying Cynthia's blog, go and see the great photos that he has taken.

Jennie

We are loving the Circumnavigation of our country on the Regatta, especially showing some of the highlights to our Canadian and U.S. friends. Cynthia is a great blogger and Pete and I are enjoying reading where we have been. Dave takes wonderful photos so if you are enjoying Cynthia's blog, go and see the great photos that he has taken.

Jennie

Hi Jennie

Have been following and enjoying this thread and the blog thinking of you on your travels! Hope Perth puts on a nice day for you - Vera

thanks Jennie! It's fun to do and when we go home we'll do a picture book of our travels. Better than the old photo albums! You two will definitely be in our book!!!

you two are wonderful to travel with and to put up with us, although periodically I do come up with a right answer in trivia--one of those 'American' questions!!

Hi Jennie

Have been following and enjoying this thread and the blog thinking of you on your travels! Hope Perth puts on a nice day for you - Vera

Vera,

Happy New Year to you and Ian. We have been just so lucky as we are having wonderful weather so far with the smoothest of seas. In fact, it is hard to believe we are in a ship on the ocean. We are anchored at Komodo Isand at the moment and the sea is like glass!

Of course, we know it is the cyclone season so anything can happen on our way down the West Coast. We hope our luck continues with the weather but we are prepared for anything that nature decides to do.

Jennie

Jennie..I have an Aussie question for you. Will it be rough waters in May when we are sailing from Melbourne to Burnie, Tas. Then from there to Picton, NZ? Thanks.

Francie

It is hard to predct the weather though May can be a lovely time in Melbourne. The Tasman Sea can be extremely rough even at this time of the year. It is just up to nature and what she decides to do.

We did the trip from Auckland to Sydney in May last year - and even though it was very rough after we left Auckland, the Bay of Islands visit was cancelled - we found the trip racross the Tasman to be quite smooth. We also did it in January a couple of years ago and it was also smooth. It is just luck.

Jennie