and so it begins....Dec/Jan Circumnavigation of Australia on Regatta

cbb

ken--welcome!!!

the seas have been like glass! Dave complimented the Captain on his ability to find the perfect water!! As you know when you cruise, you get lulled into just rolling with whatever comes...so yeah we COULD get rougher seas....

Jennie, can you help with this discussion?

And as for heat, most of the time it is a drier heat and if you have a hat and appropriate clothing and lots of water you'll be fine. It is the high heat and humidity as we had in Darwin that is rough. Although at the end of the day the showers feel better than anything you've ever had and the drinks are colder...

i recommend this cruise without reservation...although as always don't over estimate what you can do physically. The age-old problem of people not believing what they read in the excursion description exists on this cruise as well.

Ken,

We have just been so incredibly lucky. Usually the cyclones up north of Australia start to develoop around this time though the cyclone that devastated Darwin in the 70's arrived on Christmas Eve. The cyclones and storms can affect all the top half of Australia, anywhere from north of Mackay in Queensland to north of Exmouth on the Western Australia coast. The one cyclone doesn't do the whole of that area. Usually you will find one cyclone affecting the East Coast and a different one affecting the West Coast.

Often they are the tail end of cyclones which have affected Fiji, New Caledonia or Vanuatu so it is just luck if you have a smooth trip. I haven't looked at the weather for our trip down the West Coast as yet but today is just perfect and we are only a couple of hours from Bali. Again it is the wet season here and yet there isn't a cloud in the sky! We may even miss out on the afternoon showers which occur here most days at this time of the year. We were in Bali in November and most afternoons around 4-5pm, the heavens opened and down came the rain.

So all I can say is that Mother Nature has her own ideas and you just hope that she will be kind to you when you do this wonderful cruise.

Jennie

Thanks Cynthia and Jennie for the weather update and I hope you continue to have great weather throughout your cruise! We are so looking forward to cruising around Australia in either 2019 or 2020. Right now it's looking like HAL will hopefully be doing a similar springtime cruise in October 2019 with O appearing to bypass a Dec 2019 cruise from what we've been hearing. In any event we are enjoying hearing about your adventures and, once again, thank you for allowing us to tag along!

I've been reading this thread although not contributing -- because our sole experience in Australia was Oceania's Auckland-Sydney cruise in 2008. We had originally booked the following leg to Bangkok but cancelled when we thought about the cost! We loved Australia, but obviously have seen very little of it.

I'm posting now because as I was struggling home the other day with too many groceries, a lovely lady offered to help me with my shopping bags, and for once I accepted! It turns out she is Australian. I mentioned to her our trip to New Zealand and Australia, and she confessed that she'd never been to NZ. (I don't know if she is living here now or just visiting but she clearly knew our neighborhood.)

So I told her about this cruise and she was very surprised that such an adventure exists. I think SHE would have liked to take it as well!

Mura

I think there are plenty of Australians (and Kiwis) interested in an Australian circumnavigation - with maybe NZ added in

We really enjoyed it when we did it (with Tasmania). It was some years ago with Princess (or was it P&O) as O didn’t do it then and we weren’t sure they ever would.

We’ve seen lots of the East Coast & Darwin but this gives one an opportunity to see the West and South coast which are both very interesting.

Enjoying your reporting and will continue to follow it.

We did Sidney to Auckland in Feb of 05. Great Cruise. If O offers this circum again in 2020, we sign up for it upon release. Have grandkids at 7 &5 this year, and would never miss these joyous memories of Christmas with them!

Deleted

I have enjoyed reading about this cruise and so appreciate your taking the time to write about your voyage. My husband and I are booked on the Regatta in May from San Francisco up to Alaska and disembarking in Vancouver, but the reviews of the Regatta have caused me to question taking this cruise. We will be celebrating a big anniversary----is this the ship for our special occasion?

Regatta happens to have a special place in my heart because our first Renaissance cruise was on the R2, which became Regatta when acquired by Oceania. And I think most of our cruises have been on her.

Why would you be thinking she wouldn't be a good fit for your special anniversary? I know that it's easy to make a judgment based on only one negative comment ... is that what you have done?

It is true that the bigger ships are -- bigger! More restaurants, more special spaces. But the "R" ships remain favorites of many Oceania fans. In our personal case, we haven't been able to say what WE prefer. We like the "R" ships for the intimacy, we like the "O" ships for the extra benefits.

Maybe you need to think about those considerations.

Another factor could be the cabin category you have chosen. Yes, below the PH the bathrooms on the "R" ships ARE small! But as I have said several times, while that used to bother me a LOT ... when we downsold to a B1 on Nautica in June 2016 I found that the small bathroom no longer bothered me!

If you are in a suite, my opinion is that the ship shouldn't matter! There have been many negative comments lately about various ships, none of which we have encountered in our travels. Crew components change, and may even change ships. (The butler we had on Marina in November is going to Nautica in a few months.) So just because someone on Sirena tossed the bread basket onto the table with no comment doesn't mean you'd encounter that crew member again on ANY ship. (In fact, I hope he is terminated if that is his usual behavior.)

Maybe elucidation of your doubts would help us either assuage them or agree with you.

Mura

We have sailed on Regatta five times never having any problems with food or service. We will sail on her again for the right itinerary. Recommend that you spend a few days in Vancouver post cruise.

Cheers,

Don

allyg, I think you're taking (if you don't cancel!!) the same Alaska cruise we are - San Francisco to Vancouver. I haven't been on the Oceania boards much recently and would be curious to know what the negative comments are about. Family members have been on Regatta quite a bit, and cruised on Oceania (not sure which ship) in 2016, and they've been quite happy. I personally like Oceania a lot, but of course I know that since Norwegian or whoever took them over, there have been some complaints.

I'm similar to Mura. I love the small O ships for being small, but also love the bigger O ships almost as much, because there is more to see/experience. We've been on Regatta more than on any other O ship, and I believe we also did our first O cruise on her. As for cabin, that's not important for us, so I can't comment on those. We don't spend that much time in the cabin and are happy in an inside one.

But I would like to thank the original poster for the information on Australia. We are looking at an Australia/NZ cruise on either Oceania or Viking Ocean, and other than wanting to go, I really don't know much about either country. I need all the help I can get in trying to figure out which itinerary would suit me best.

Regatta is a lovely ship and we're thoroughly enjoying our cruise. She is identical to Insignia which we sailed on for 6 months and at our age it is wonderful not having to figure our where something on board is! Rec'd her highly! Go and enjoy being with each other.

We arrived in Bali early. We were scheduled to arrive at 1pm but the Captain sailed full-steam all night, after departing Komodo early and we docked at 10am.

The Captain announced that there was a medical emergency aboard and the patient was taken to the hospital in Bali for observation and then was to fly home to Australia.

Our group of 6 had planned to leave for that day's Bali adventures at 2:00 but Cathi was able to contact her friend Komang Mariawan who was to be our driver and he was able to meet us early. She and Bruce have traveled with him before and I think he is part of their family now!

We grabbed a bite of lunch in Waves at 11 and were ready to go at 11:30! The ship had been cleared by 11:00 and passengers were already walking down the gangway.

We had previously decided what we wanted to see by emailing each other months ago and then Cathi sent that list to Komang so he had time to plan the route.

Off we went in his mini van and hit all of the places in a broad semi-circle less than 20 miles from the ship.

Some of us wanted to go to a Batik/fabric place and a wood carving place, others wanted to buy "poopy coffee," and to see the rice terraces and paddies away from the commercial markets around the port.

This was all accomplished with the skilled driving of Komang. All of the establishments were lovely, well kempt, and clearly the stores of artisans and not sellers of imported goods. Nothing beats having a gentleman who knows the places to visit.

Fortunately, or unfortunately--depending on which gender you are asking--all of us were successful shoppers!

I have developed a love of fabrics to make throw pillows and I was able to find a pillow cover with orange and white designs and 2 small aqua & white batik fish--perfect for a white couch at a beach home!

I love looking at my pillows and remembering where i bought the fabrics and they can be packed flat or rolled up in the suitcase to bring home!!!

The location of the rice paddies and terraces was well chosen and it had just begun to rain which gave them an almost mystical aura--serene and timeless .

I had received a recommendation from several of our ATW friends and Cruise Director to make sure and visit The Rock Bar for drinks and sunset when we were in Bali....so Komang had made a reservation for us weeks ago.

The Rock Bar is part of the Ayana Resort and Spa. Be there about an hour before sunset. Google sunset time. Unfortunately, the skies were cloudy so we did not see the glorious sunset we hoped for, but neither did it rain on us!

It is in an absolutely stunning location! Think of the side of a cliff and then, cascading to the sea, are a series of small patio terraces with tables and chairs, or long bars where one can drink and dine and view the sea and perhaps the sunset.

Don't worry about climbing stairs because there is a wonderful lift that moves, as Dave says, both horizontally and vertically as it ascends or descends.

There is car that descends with passengers and returns empty and one that ascends and returns empty which is an excellent way for moving people efficiently without creating traffic jams...and provides excellent views for photography!

Drinks arrived and I was not impressed with their choice of Sav Blanc--it was a brand that we can get in the states for $8 a bottle; here it was $21 for a glass. It took 2 efforts to get Dave's diet coke and he even pointed to the item on the menu.

The drinks finally arrived and we all toasted Dave on his birthday and to many more. Not many guys can have a birthday in Bali surrounded by people who wish him the best!

Five of them (including Komang) had ordered food and it arrived for Jennie & Peter, but the calamari did not appear, despite all of us asking various waiters about the order. Bruce, Cathi, and Komang finally cancelled their order rather than continue to wait.

If you go, you do need to know that they take only credit cards and Rupiah, Bali's currency. Despite my best efforts at research I did not know this and we had only U$ and Aussie cash with us.

Fortunately Peter and Jennie had their credit card with them so they paid for us and we promptly repaid them with Aussie money!

So....the Rock is a stunning location which I recommend for its beauty, the service and drinks do not receive my recommendation. The staff was very polite but it seemed that everyone around us received their drinks and food very quickly...and us......not so much.

From the Rock to Regatta was about 5 miles straight line or 30 minutes driving because it is Bali and there is traffic!

Our cabin provided air conditioning, a cool shower, and cold drinks....ahhhh, the essentials of life in the tropics! (and yes, Oceania had given Dave a birthday card--there it was on the foot of the bed!)

I had always wanted to do a cruise right around our beautiful country having gone as far as Perth to Darwin in a number of cruise but my DH wasn't so keen until our gorgeous Canadian friends, Cathi and Bruce, told us that they had booked this cruise over a year ago. We looked at the itinerary and Fraser Island stood out, so we went ahead and booked it. Of course, the only port cancelled at this point has been Fraser Island. It is the largest Sand island in the world and the make up of the island is most interesting. Anyhow, we will just have to make a trip there in the future which isn't such a big deal.

The cruise has been absolutely wonderful. We are on our way down the West Coast of Australia and so far we have been blessed with sunny days and the calmest of seas. We are going to be visiting three ports along the way that we have never been to - Exmouth, Geraldton and Esperance - plus we will be returning to delightful Kangaroo Islandl which is a great place to visit. Also, on this cruise you get to see the capital cities of 5 of our 6 States, we are mssing Hobart, though we are going to Burnie which is close to the lovely Cradle Mountain in Tasmania.

Plus for those who have never been to our Top End, Darwin is a lovely city and a very surprising one. Of course there are two added bonuses as well, the side trip to New Guinea and of course to lovely Bali.

So if you are thinking about coming down here and seeing Australia, then this is a great cruise. The cruise after this one also includes New Zealand so you could combine the two and see both countries.

As far as the standards on the Regatta are concerned, we have only found politeness and friendliness from the crew and have enjoyed most meals. Our two room stewards are excellent and our Butler so far has had little to do as we don't really need a butler but when we have asked him to do something he has been so happy to please.

We have our breakfasts in the Main Dining Room and most of our Evening Meals except when we go to Tosccano's or Polo. Within a few days, the wait staff and the lass at the desk knew our names and our likes and dislikes.

The drink steward up in Horizons, also knows what our little group likes in the way of drinks so as far as we are concerned we haven't found any standards slipping on this ship.

Our Cruise Director, Julie James is excellent and we enjoy each afternoon at Trivia with her presiding. So all in all it has and is a wonderful journey around our Island Continent.

Jennie

Jennie

Bali is a lovely and quite spiritual place. Glad you had a nice tour there. Was there any evidence of the recent volcano activity? Also did you go to the Komodo island?

Thanks for your great travel info. Happy Birthday to Dr. Dave!

Francie

palakika-

no one mentioned the word 'volcano' during this cruise as we approached Bali, except for the enrichment lectures....we did not want that word lingering "out there"....not that we're superstitious!

no volcanic activity, all was serene, except for the traffic....but that would require a video to show you what we experienced. Sort of like crossing the streets in Saigon/HCM city--cross with a local, do not speed up or slow down and do not look left or right...just go...that is evidently how one gets through traffic in Bali!

Jennie had great info on our cruise and we recommend it highly....and yes, the drinks guy Dan walks up to us and begins double checking our orders because some people (Jennie & Peter) change their drink order almost every day!!! Cheers from Regatta!!!

Did you get off the ship on Komodo Island? We are on the Regatta Auckland to Bali next month and haven't confirmed yet what to do on Komodo. Thinking pink sand beach after dragons but we only have 6 hours. Input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had about 6 hours on Komodo on the RTW in 2017. We did the trekking to see the dragons and then went snorkeling. The first spot we were taken to had several dragons, so if you wanted to just see a few dragons you could technically just do a short walk and focus on the snorkeling. We booked a private tour and were very happy with it. A pre-booked tour (private or with Oceania) is the only way you will be able to disembark the ship.

I wrote about our experience in my blog ... at this link: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/03/day-68-komodo-island-indonesia.html

love2cruise99---thanks!!!

Day 2 of Bali we awoke to hot and clear skies! Evidently it had rained during the night but the previous day's adventures left me impervious to thunder outside--slept right through it all!

This day's adventures required about 3 hours, one way, of driving so we were to be off ship by 8:30. We all grabbed an early breakfast in Terrace and I was ready by 7:30. Dave had decided that the Regatta cold/cough was bigger than he so he elected to stay behind and get well.

Bruce, Cathi's husband called and said "want to go shopping at the market," I answered "meet me at the end of the gangway now," kissed my sick honey bye, and off I went. Bruce was right behind me!

At Bali port, there is a number of market stalls right behind the arched entrance to the port building. Since we had been there ATW16 Bruce and I headed there immediately.

We started at one end and were doing fine until i was captured by a lady probably my age and she was able to persuade me that I indeed needed not only the dress I had picked out but also a sarong. She was that good!

I got both for $20 total (originally they were $35 each) and the dress will be cut up to make another pillow top.

White background with yellow, orange, pink, and aqua flowers (primarily plumeria) with lime stems--how could I resist those colors! The sarong was sky blue with much larger flowers of the same colors so it will be a beach cover up, a tablecloth, or couch throw--endless ideas!

We visited 2 more stalls and then I found the pearl lady who must have been the sister of the fabric lady! She was an amazing seller--persistent without being too much!

Meanwhile, I had lost Bruce to a lady that was holding up tee shirts to his manly chest...or at least that is what I perceived when I looked back at the two of them...what a hoot! The two of them had everyone around them laughing!

Those of you who followed ATW16 blogs know of my love for buying local earrings! Bruce reappeared in time to help me with my pearl earring purchases--2 pairs of single drop freshwater pearl earrings at $10. Total. Originally she wanted $45 each! Moral of the story; always take a Bruce with you.

We then joined the others who had just arrived and there was pearl envy (right, Jennie?) but we promised her Bruce at the end of the day's adventures as she dearly loves pearl jewelry.

Our goal was to leave the southern end of Bali, the port area, and drive through Bali to the north end to Lovina Beach for lunch and perhaps a swim. Komang had parked just steps away from the market so we left right on time!

He was able to deftly steer through traffic, definitely an E-Ticket experience for you old experienced Disney tourists, and headed north.

I can definitely say that we all saw parts of Bali that most tourists don't get to see. We went through areas of small homes with large rice paddies, houses perched on the sides of hills, villages with shops selling all kinds of things and strong evidence everywhere of the Hindu culture.

Glorious statues, small rock or concrete pillars containing flowers and incense, elephants everywhere-- carved on walls or in free standing form. Bright batik cloths, many purple and gold but also black and white fabrics draped everywhere....and green green green plants and trees and rice fields everywhere.

We twisted our way up to the top of mountain, pretty much in the middle of Bali, and then began our descent the same way, around and around the side of the mountain passing children in school uniforms, dogs either asleep or on important missions, and monkeys...doing what monkeys do....beg for handouts from doting tourists!

We arrived at Lovina and Cathi went wading and Bruce & I took pictures while the Aussies wandered in the shade building up a powerful thirst! We quickly retreated to the Tropic Bar and ordered drinks...Bintang for 4, cokes for Cathi and I --and most drank straight from the bottle which we saw being opened!!!

5 of us ordered french fries/chips to share and Komang had a hot meal--he was driving and needed to keep up his strength!

About 1:00 we all agreed that the skies suggested a return to the ship was smart since Regatta was to leave at 6:00 and who knew how long it would take to get back to the other side of the island.

The return trip was high excitement! For those of you who live in Florida or other tropical/subtropical areas you are used to torrential downpours that suddenly appear and pretty much wipe out visibility; we had a doozy.

Fortunately, Komang was a skillful driver, the car was in good repair, the wipers worked efficiently, and the road was fine--all essentials to driving in tropical deluges!

Cathi saw "Bali chocolate factory" and Komang hung a quick right and the rest of the car was kinda left wondering...."what just happened" but then we left the car and began a taste of at least 30 different kinds of chocolate flavors....sea salt, dark, white, berry, nut, mint, etc....

Peter and Bruce left sad because they didn't get to go around the room tasting one more time! More purchases made!

We arrived back at the ship in plenty of time and Komang was deserving of our money and our high praise. He is an excellent driver, patient with us and with traffic, adapts well to itinerary changes and changing wishes of his passengers, plus he's really a nice man.

If you want an excellent driver here is the information--and we all recommend him highly! Komang Mariawan 081 328 414 334 / 081 558 923 846 email: komang_km32@yahoo.com

Upon our return to port we realized immediately that the deluge had beat us down the mountain. According to Dave and Julie James, the cruise director, it had absolutely poured down at the port.

There was a buoy about 50 yards away from the ship and Dave reported that the rain was so heavy he couldn't see it!

Unfortunately, it also flooded the parking lot but Komang found a small dry area and we all exited the car from one side, laughing....until we saw the market stall area. It was flooded and seeing one person walking by in knee deep water we knew there would be no shopping.

Jennie was so sad that she couldn't take Bruce shopping for pearls but I think they are planning on returning again this year so she'll be fine....we hope. Peter said he was relieved!

We again went our separate ways--to verandas, to showers, to drinks...but all agreed that it was a wonderful day! From a car filled with Canadians, Aussies, and the token American.....thanks Komang! (and dave was feeling better-- Polo for belated B'day!)

You mention the small offerings of flowers and incense everywhere. This was one of the most charming things about Bali. The rice paddies scenes also lovely, although as with your gang, seen through rain. Our tour included a trip to a temple on a mountain and all those in shorts were given sarongs to wear. Only problem, the sarongs were cotton in bright colors with cheap dyes and in the rain, all the dye ran down your legs. Colorful to say the least!!

Good morning from off the coast of Exmouth.

We were to anchor and tender in this morning but watching the exploratory tender pitching and rolling its way to shore I was pretty sure the Captain was going to cancel this port....sure enough 30 minutes later he announced that he was.

It was interesting how he did it. He explained that the waves and currents were too strong for safe passage to and from shore and that his first responsibility was to the passengers AND to the tenders because the tenders are also our lifeboats.

He said that if a tender was damaged, it would have to be taken out of service and, in case of a ship's emergency, 150 passengers would be left behind. Not a single murmur was heard from passengers!

I thought that was an excellent response!!! The Lyntons and the Wallis' and we were to pick up the rental car and drive to Ningaloo and other really beautiful places but....not to be.

So it is a day at sea as is tomorrow, then on to Geraldton. It was to be well over 100F in Exmouth today so perhaps we're all better off staying on board.

Dave & I aren't terribly disappointed because we've picked up some sort of cold. I had it first and recovered in about 6 days and he has turned the corner.

I did wake up with a raging sore throat this morning so I aim to sit on the veranda today and hope that the salt air will lube my throat!!! From the sounds around me, we're not the only ones with kennel cough!!!

A good book and a bottle of water and I'll be fine!!! (and maybe a Tim Tam!) Stay warm you who are in the cold weather places!

Good morning from somewhere off the western coast of Australia!

After Exmouth was waved off on the 8th we continued on towards Geraldton, so a port day became a sea day.

The itinerary then had us with a sea day on the 9th arriving in Geraldton on the 10th.

The Captain announced that the Miami office was able to get us an overnight in Geraldton so we were scheduled to arrive in the early afternoon of the 9th and be in port on the 10th as well....so on we sailed.

Then Dave noticed that the ship was turning and the Captain came on to announce that there was a medical emergency and the boat was returning to the Exmouth area where a helicopter would be coming to air lift the patient.

That was accomplished beautifully and we all hope the patient and spouse will be fine. The spouse is still aboard....just guessing here, but will probably get off at Geraldton.

Because of Regatta turning around, we that we might not arrive in Geraldton until the scheduled date of the 10th.....oh well, all part of cruising.

Certainly no one I've heard has complained that the Captain is not keeping us informed.

Poor CD Julie James is going to need a vacation away from the sea, ships, and people by the time this is all over. In one day she had to change the schedule twice, with a new Currents arriving on our cabin door!

so....on we sail.....think of the one in the helicopter and the one still on ship and hug your honey harder than usual......

Cbb. I need help from a real person on the Regatta.

Can you please ask the pursers desk what is the bath room set up in 4028 a handicap bathroom

i am handicap and will be sailing on the Regatta in a couple of months.

No one in corporate offices is able to give a consistent answer

and this is stressing me out

I have heard it is a roll in shower, I have heard it is a bathtub

i really don’t understand WHY it would be a bathtub.

I have stayed in 4028 on AZ and Princess and it was a roll in shower

Could you PLEASE find out the answer for me.

Thank you!