HAL Cruisers Try Princess

DennisNV

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses to my post. We have booked our next Princess cruise, a Southampton round trip to Scandinavia in September. We did book a mini suite this time on the Sapphire Princess. We looked at a similar itinerary on HAL from Amsterdam but I wanted to visit London instead. I've been there many times but usually for work, so I've not had a chance to explore.

Dennis

Enjoyed reading the thoughts of a long time HAL cruiser. :)

Princess is a better "over all" fit for us but we have also enjoyed several HAL cruises.

If/when you take another Princess cruise, please get a mini-suite. You'll find it much more to your liking. ;)

We are primarily Princess cruises but have sailed on other lines including HAL. It is interesting to see this comparison from a HAL regular's point of view!

The the OP: the reason why Princess requires that you be out of your cabin by 8 am is because the room stewards need to clean the rooms for the next cruise. Unlike most other lines, on Princess your room is ready when you board, even if you board before noon. Since you boarded later, you unfortunately did not reap the benefit of this policy. :-(

I just wanted to note that even though you are allowed to stay in your cabin until your number is called Hal still has the room ready for you when you board. We have always had access to our cabin when we board.

Thanks for the informative post. We are "equal opportunity" cruisers and try to spread ourselves around many lines. On Princess we have been Elite for many years and are also 5 Star Marines on HAL. Comparing the two lines is interesting and we agree with some of the OPs observations. But one should be cautious in that each line has a variety of ships that make broad comparisons difficult. For example, our favorite HAL ship is the Prinsendam which cannot easily be compared to the Grand or Royal Class ships.

Most recently (August) we spent over a month on the Rotterdam and in Oct-Nov we were on the Regal for 10 days (and just returned from 21 days on the Celebrity Reflection). While there are many differences between HAL and Princess, we find its one of those pros and cons (to both lines) as is also true of other lines. HAL has nothing comparable to the International Cafe, and like the OP we enjoy spending a lot of quality time at the IC. We are not fans of the alternative restaurants of either line (Celebrity has much better alternative restaurants). Unlike the OP, we tend to enjoy the entertainment on ships as we do stay awake after 10pm (a rarity on many HAL cruises). Our experience is that Princess has better overall entertainment, but the too small size of their main theater creates problems for those who dine early (we dine late so avoid the seating problem found by the early diners).

The comments on the cabin stewards were telling. HAL uses mostly Indonesian staff for cabin stewards and these folks really do try to please. Princess works somewhat differently and we have found stewards that are friendly and others who barely have time to say hello. The wine glass thing is just one of those issues that differs between lines. On Princess, anything having to do with the mini-bar (and related glasses) is the responsibility of the Room Service folks. On HAL the cabin steward would get glasses. But if you go on Princess you will find both champagne and wine glasses in most cabins.

We think that frequent cruisers fall into two general categories. There are those who are "loyal" to a single cruise line and hence, have issues when adapting to other lines which do things differently. And then there are folks like us who love variety (14 cruise lines to date) and see the differences as a positive thing.

Hank

In April we returned to HAL after a long hiatus and our biggest complaint was the check-in procedure in FL. I'm a 3* Mariner and DH is a 2*. They had a separate line for just 5* (or maybe 4 and 5). There were only a handful of check-in employees and they would always wait on the 4 or 5* pax, even if they'd just walked in, before they'd call on the much larger number of us in the other line. This doesn't happen on Princess. Considering the HAL ship was much smaller than the Princess ships we've sailed on, I thought this procedure was totally unnecessary since no one was getting on the ship as soon as they checked in and it just ended up causing frustration among those of us in the longer line moving at a snail's pace.

Other than that, we did enjoy being on the Zuiderdam and its "smallness"--everything was so handy and the crew we interacted with were great. We especially appreciated the young lady in the buffet who took us under her wing and would quickly find us a seat at each meal. Breakfast, in particular, is always hectic in a Princess buffet and seats hard to find, particularly if one doesn't like to share a table--we got over that "hang-up" pretty quickly on P. Finally, I did quite well (for me) on the slots ;).

Thanks for your review. We have cruised both HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, and NCL recently. Did Crystal like you once many years ago, over priced for what we got. I do think you would be happier booking a mini suite on Princess. That is what we usually book, like the bath tub and extra room. We also like the Crown Grill and Pub Lunch... we usually do room service for breakfast and some times if we skip dinner lunch, find it is as good as you say. We always go early for check in when boarding... no matter what they tell us. We have over 25 cruises with Princess, so know that works best. I do see a lot of similarities between Princess, HAL and Cunard. Celebrity is a bit different, it is trying to make every feel like they are a celebrity... does not work for us, LOL.

I was indeed speaking of the ID picture that is required. It seemed a little odd to have to line up while boarding the ship instead of simply taking the picture at check in.

We have sailed on HAL many times, as well as Princess, RCI, and Celebrity. I think it is totally crazy that Princess does pictures this way. It irritates me, which is no way to start a cruise.

Why the heck can't they take pix at the check in counter, like every other cruise line?? Makes no sense but does make it harder for pax as they board.

ML

We are primarily Princess cruises but have sailed on other lines including HAL. It is interesting to see this comparison from a HAL regular's point of view!

The the OP: the reason why Princess requires that you be out of your cabin by 8 am is because the room stewards need to clean the rooms for the next cruise. Unlike most other lines, on Princess your room is ready when you board, even if you board before noon. Since you boarded later, you unfortunately did not reap the benefit of this policy. :-(

I just wanted to note that even though you are allowed to stay in your cabin until your number is called Hal still has the room ready for you when you board. We have always had access to our cabin when we board.

Yes, I don't get why Princess needs to kick us out of the cabin at 8 "so we can drop stuff off when we board", when HAL manages to let us sit in our cabins until we have to disembark and people can still go right to their cabins upon boarding. Princess has this completely wrong for us.

This won't prevent us from cruising, but between the dumb "take pic when you board" and the equally dumb "MUST leave cabin by 8", I find these to be a bad start and end for a cruise. I'm not sure why Princess can't fix this but I wish they would.

ML

Thanks for your comments! We've primary sailed Princess, although we're not cruise experts by any means. We had a long embarkation process in San Pedro a few years ago, standing in the hot sun for what seemed like forever. Unfortunately, we were flying in from the East Coast and there was a medical emergency on our flight, so we arrived at the port later than planned. I've learned in the cruise process to just expect the unexpected! I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise!

[

Yes, I don't get why Princess needs to kick us out of the cabin at 8 "so we can drop stuff off when we board", when HAL manages to let us sit in our cabins until we have to disembark and people can still go right to their cabins upon boarding. Princess has this completely wrong for us.

This won't prevent us from cruising, but between the dumb "take pic when you board" and the equally dumb "MUST leave cabin by 8", I find these to be a bad start and end for a cruise. I'm not sure why Princess can't fix this but I wish they would.

ML

Because Princess does a much more thorough job of cleaning the cabin. Not just make the beds and change the soap.

Because Princess does a much more thorough job of cleaning the cabin. Not just make the beds and change the soap.

Interesting. have you ever watched attendants clean a cabin--during the cruise or on disembarkation day? I have and I don't think any of them do as thorough a job as I expect. Having said that, however, I think what helps is that the cabins are cleaned every day.

And rather than just make snarky assertions, I have some evidence to support this. I travel with a UV blacklight so I can check my hotel rooms, ship cabins, whatever, especially bathrooms. I have been very surprised how clean the bathrooms are considering that I didn't think the cleaning process was that great. I have more confidence in that process now that I have checked bathrooms an multiple cruise lines.

And Princess does a lousy job of vacuuming cabins, IME. There is a lot of dust under the desk and around the inner desk edges, as well as other places near the walls and furniture. I would think for all the show they make about getting you out of the cabin at 8 am, they could do a much better job of vacuuming on changeover days. Even once a month would pick up dust/dirt from around furniture.

So, I think HAL does a lot more than make beds and change soap.

We recently returned from a HAL cruise (T/A) on the Westerdam. We are Princess people, but there were some things that appealed to us on HAL.

** The staff (mostly Indonesian and Filipino) was very, very pleasant and friendly. HAL seems to instill this attitude better than PCL.

** HAL sold an unlimited internet package for about $200. Pretty good speed and no need to jump on and off to preserve precious minutes.

** The enhanced soft drink package on HAL was expensive, but it included canned soda and bottled water. Also specialty coffees.

** While we preferred the whole dining experience on PCL, we did have outstanding meals on two pop-up venues on HAL (Sel de Mer and De Librije).

We probably won't sail HAL again, unless we see a can't miss itinerary.

One more thing: there were complaints from CruiseCritic passengers about HAL's treatment of them. They said HAL was not very responsive to their needs in setting up a meet&greet. No crew participation, cramped venue, etc. I must admit that the Roll Call activity was very light compared to what I have seen for PCL cruises

HAL(premium) is a step above Princess(mainstream).

Better cabin layouts - One ought naught have to purchase a mini-suite to have a couch/love seat in one's cabin. The showers on Princess are uncomfortably small. I for one find the hallway/walk-in closet set-up on Princess to be wasted space that could make more room for the above.

HAL - Less PAX = Better Passenger/Space ratio on the ship. Less queuing for activities (from embarkation to disembarkation).

Princess barely beats HAL in entertainment options. Yet the BB. King Blues venue/Lincoln Center provides for some decent live music options, as well as HAL also provides the standard theater fare of comedians/magicians/mentalists/improv artists etc. MUTS is a nice evening option to have when attending the same ol' era-themed medley-style (or trying too hard to be avant garde production show) seems like a stale choice. Princess theater entertainment is far from the 'Best at Sea'.

HAL has a much larger selection available for room service. Hot breakfast delivered is a nice touch. Not everyone wants to have to go to the MDR for a longer sitdown breakfast, especially those wanting to maximize time ashore on port days. The same breakfast buffet selections on Princess get old fast.

The layout of the Lido Marketplace on HAL is much better than that on most Princess ships(minus the Royal, Regal, Majestic)

(For those that prefer adult-only pools)HAL has larger pool and deck aft than the often cramped, harder to find available deck chair counterpart on Princess. Yet, Princess does have the adult wading Lotus pool as an option. The pools on HAL are essentially 'Adult' by default.

And then there are the additional touches on HAL -- such as real orchids on the tables - even in the buffet. Large screen televisions with ON DEMAND technology. More comfortable bed spreads(and yes, I've tried Princess' new beds). Dining Al Fresco evening buffet spreads on the Lido Deck aft. An Asian speciality restaurant.

Our last few cruises have left us feeling like Princess is struggling to find an identity. With all of the cutbacks and no real beneficial (to us) additions - Fountains that take up valuable deck space? Medallions?? Club-Class???

Yes, Princess has cruises offered all over the world, but so does HAL, and HAL's itineraries are better with longer sailings and more unique ports of call. Princess has offered the same vanilla itineraries (w/ very little variation) for quite a few years now. Princess' growing ship-size fleet has likely made it harder for Princess to offer more exotic ports-of-call.

A cruise is absolutely what one makes it. One would have to be a real Debbie-Downer not be able to make the best of a Princess cruise. We usually always have a good time sailing Princess, however variety is the spice of life. I find it difficult to understand those that remain loyal to only one cruise line.