Bus Crash In Mexico Involving Equinox Passengers

helen haywood

Sam Fritz....there are no words that can comfort you at this time, only to know that your Cruise Critic friends are here to support you at this difficult time.

I sat upright at your post regarding School #3, then looked and saw you are from Buffalo. I attended School 3 as a child and when you see that something this tragic hits so close to home, there are no more words.

This is getting worse.

In the press today comes the news of A Cessna plane that hit Chichen Itza with British passengers collapsed, fortunately there are no deceased.

This report says the plane crashed shortly after take off from Playa del Carmen airport due to engine failure.

It was on its way to Chichen Itza. I couldn't find a news report about a plane hitting Chichen Itza.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=203208

Holland America stopped offering flight tours in the area years ago, not sure what other cruise lines still have them.

This report says the plane crashed shortly after take off from Playa del Carmen airport due to engine failure.

It was on its way to Chichen Itza. I couldn't find a news report about a plane hitting Chichen Itza.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=203208

Holland America stopped offering flight tours in the area years ago, not sure what other cruise lines still have them.

Sorry I use google to translate

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to my colleagues at School 3 to thank them for their support. Here is an edited version for all of you on Facebook and CruiseCritic.

My Dear Friends

As most of you know, on Tuesday evening I learned that my younger brother and his wife were killed in a bus accident while they were on a sightseeing tour in the Yucatan region of Mexico. As I write this, I am at 33,000 feet on my way to Cancun for anything but a Christmas vacation. I am representing my family in going to accompany their remains for their final journey home to Olympia, Washington.

As I reached out through social media I have been so touched by the support I received from so many of you in these past two days. Your kind words, your expressions of sympathy, and the many reminders of distant friendships have assured me that Diana and I do not walk through these troubled times alone. I need to tell you how important that is to us. Diana has been determined to try to respond to every post with at least a”like” or a quick thank you. I have not been nearly as ambitious. To all of you who have posted or messaged or reached out in some other way: please know how deeply we appreciate and need your support.

So as you approach and enjoy these upcoming holidays, please say an unexpected kind word someone, hug one another a little tighter, and if you can gin up the courage, dare to tell someone you love them. Make it a point to celebrate your family and friends; love them in ways that will have people asking what has gotten into you. Enjoy THESE moments, because the future is never guaranteed.

My life is enriched by the crossing of our paths and the sharing of some part of this journey. Thank you all for making me a better teacher, friend, parent and person.

Grace and Peace,

Sam Fritz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Forumsso sorry for your loss prayers for you and your family.[emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]

Sam, your brother Andy and his wife were mentioned with glowing praise in a wire story here in my local newspaper here in Florida. They were people I would have enjoyed meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HI, I am here in Jacksonville too.........which day in the paper?

Sam,

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

I hope they discover the cause of the crash so that steps can be taken so that these types of injuries and fatalities can hopefully, be avoided. If it was speeding, then cut the ties to the tour companies who receive complaints. If the passengers could have survived had they been wearing seat belts, make sure the tour companies provide vehicles with seat belts. Such a sad tragedy for all of the victims and their families.

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to my colleagues at School 3 to thank them for their support. Here is an edited version for all of you on Facebook and CruiseCritic.

My Dear Friends

As most of you know, on Tuesday evening I learned that my younger brother and his wife were killed in a bus accident while they were on a sightseeing tour in the Yucatan region of Mexico. As I write this, I am at 33,000 feet on my way to Cancun for anything but a Christmas vacation. I am representing my family in going to accompany their remains for their final journey home to Olympia, Washington.

As I reached out through social media I have been so touched by the support I received from so many of you in these past two days. Your kind words, your expressions of sympathy, and the many reminders of distant friendships have assured me that Diana and I do not walk through these troubled times alone. I need to tell you how important that is to us. Diana has been determined to try to respond to every post with at least a”like” or a quick thank you. I have not been nearly as ambitious. To all of you who have posted or messaged or reached out in some other way: please know how deeply we appreciate and need your support.

So as you approach and enjoy these upcoming holidays, please say an unexpected kind word someone, hug one another a little tighter, and if you can gin up the courage, dare to tell someone you love them. Make it a point to celebrate your family and friends; love them in ways that will have people asking what has gotten into you. Enjoy THESE moments, because the future is never guaranteed.

My life is enriched by the crossing of our paths and the sharing of some part of this journey. Thank you all for making me a better teacher, friend, parent and person.

Grace and Peace,

Sam Fritz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam, I am so sorry to read about your loss. Condolences from another Western New Yorker.

Tom

Condolences to you and your family, Sam.

I’ve seen names of passengers but does anyone know who was the tour guide who died?

We were on this exact tour two weeks earlier while on the Equinox.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read his name this morning in one of the articles listed, when I googled it today, but all I remember was it was Dejesus or some thing like that. You shoul be able to find it, if you try Google.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Sam & Diane - as a Washingtonian and an educator - I send my sympathies. I know they will not only be greatly missed by their families, and their 2 sons, but all the students they have touched in their lives. Your message is well received - especially this time of year. Again, so sorry for your loss.