aft cabins wassup?

My wife and I are booked on the Rhapsody sailing 1/15/06, for our first cruise. We were originally booked on deck 4, but I was doing a little surfing, and discovered that Expedia.com and travelocity.com were offering deck 7 cabins to residents of Louisiana and other states for $50 PP more than we paid for deck 4. I called my TA, and she was able to get us changed, and it turns out that we will be in 7154, an aft with a balcony! I'm psyched, especially wince this will be our first cruise, and will be celebrating an anniversary and birthday aboard!:D :D

• 2 months later...

Ck, I Did Take Some Pics But Not Sure Where They Are But You Will Love The Aft End Of The Ship, I Believe We Were In 8588 0r Something Like That, Top Deck ,very Back Of The Ship With A Great View Of The Fantail, This Way You Get A View Of Both Sides, I Am On The Port Side Of The Ship This Trip But I Always Shoot For The Very Back And The Highest Deck Possible, Trust Me, You'll Love It

rt-1092--we just had that cabin on Grandeur and yes, the balcony is larger. Plenty of room for 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table. The cabin is laid out a little differently--the actual floor space might be bit smaller, but that's because you have a true walk-in closet. We felt like we were in our own little world back there and we all but lived on that balcony. Having been on Grandeur 3 times, I wouldn't think of booking anything other than an aft.

Once you experience it, you'll never want any other cabin! There is nothing like laying in a lounge chair watching the wake on a sea day! Pulling in and leaving port was also fantastic from the aft. We spent more time on the balcony then anywhere else.

One word of advise, we had a little trouble with the door sliding open and closed when we were out on the balcony. Bring your bungy cord to tie it back - we ended up proping it closed when we were outside. . . didn't want it to slam and break!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Tanker

Black soot, no sun, sometimes obstructed views, doors that won't stay open without bungie cord, some people put lights on their balcony that can keep you awake at night, everyone can see you from their balcony above or below, no privacy, more money, hard to get loungers, jealous people don't talk to you, people are taking pictures, no privacy when docked at port, chairs moving on the floor above all hours of the night, spray from the hoses when the crew is cleaning, stairs close to cabin can only be used by crew, the crew deck is close by and they party 24/7.............

And... its a very long walk to get anywhere from your aft cabin. You really should have a skateboard or bicycle or motorized cart to get you from A to B or you'll spend most of your cruise just resting from the long walk to the dining room each day. I have heard many must spend tons of money at the infirmary on meds to endure the pain from various injuries caused by the long walk to the aft of the ship.

Oh, did I mention, a lot of kids stay back there and find the long hallways wonderful places to use their skateboard and to play tag! They really have a lot of fun!! And they don't mean to knock you down when you try to walk by, they are after all, just little kids. And they are very cute, but.............................................

I would never book an aft cabin!!! :cool:

(Take it from me, don't do it!) :eek:

We had the center aft, deck 7 on Splendour. We would not do an aft again for 2 reasons. The first has been mentioned: it takes forever to get to your cabin if you forget something. The second reason is that you could not look down into the water! Yes, you could see out the back, but we looked down on to the crew's deck.

It is good that there are options so that everyone will be pleased!

Black soot, no sun, sometimes obstructed views, doors that won't stay open without bungie cord, some people put lights on their balcony that can keep you awake at night, everyone can see you from their balcony above or below, no privacy, more money, hard to get loungers, jealous people don't talk to you, people are taking pictures, no privacy when docked at port, chairs moving on the floor above all hours of the night, spray from the hoses when the crew is cleaning, stairs close to cabin can only be used by crew, the crew deck is close by and they party 24/7.............

And... its a very long walk to get anywhere from your aft cabin. You really should have a skateboard or bicycle or motorized cart to get you from A to B or you'll spend most of your cruise just resting from the long walk to the dining room each day. I have heard many must spend tons of money at the infirmary on meds to endure the pain from various injuries caused by the long walk to the aft of the ship.

Oh, did I mention, a lot of kids stay back there and find the long hallways wonderful places to use their skateboard and to play tag! They really have a lot of fun!! And they don't mean to knock you down when you try to walk by, they are after all, just little kids. And they are very cute, but.............................................

I would never book an aft cabin!!!

(Take it from me, don't do it!)

My sentiments exactly!

We had the center aft, deck 7 on Splendour. We would not do an aft again for 2 reasons. The first has been mentioned: it takes forever to get to your cabin if you forget something. The second reason is that you could not look down into the water! Yes, you could see out the back, but we looked down on to the crew's deck.

It is good that there are options so that everyone will be pleased!

The only problem we had with an aft cabin is the long walk to anywhere. That said we have an aft cabin on our next cruise and will try for them whenever possible.

As you said, options are a good thing. They are one of the reasons cruising is so great.

I would never book an aft cabin!!! :cool:

(Take it from me, don't do it!) :eek:

Good job, Sylvia, that should do it..........if only people like gobnu would STOP posting pictures! Sheesh!

at the back of the ship. The balconies are larger. This will be our first AFT, so I can not tell you from personal experience whether it is a good thing or not. I am just wondering if I would have more shade in the middle ones, versus the corner on the Rhapsody.

Marie

Archived