Oh those olden days, those golden days...

Germancruiser

I wasn't even thinking about any of those categories because that doesn't really enter into my assessment of the quality of a human. It's all about values and the inner quality of a person that counts.

I know exactly what you meant really. I've read enough of your posts to understand what you regularly allude too. ;)

Sadly I've witnessed a lot of uncouth behaviour onboard too. People chasing pieces of food around their plate as they try to use a fork as a knife, seemingly incapable of using the real thing which is under their noses!

People adding milk to their tea cup before the tea!

People drinking Budweiser or Stella Artois beer.

Diners quaffing shiraz whilst eating cod...

And on a slightly more serious note, people trying to barge into elevators before people can get out.

People making life difficult for wheelchair and scooter users.

Then you have the cattle market x chimps tea party that is the Oceanview Cafe. People handling food and then leaving it there (This really annoys me). People wandering around without looking where they are going. Not queing etc.. I could go on.

I know exactly what you meant really. I've read enough of your posts to understand what you regularly allude too. ;)

Sadly I've witnessed a lot of uncouth behaviour onboard too. People chasing pieces of food around their plate as they try to use a fork as a knife, seemingly incapable of using the real thing which is under their noses!

People adding milk to their tea cup before the tea!

People drinking Budweiser or Stella Artois beer.

Diners quaffing shiraz whilst eating cod...

And on a slightly more serious note, people trying to barge into elevators before people can get out.

People making life difficult for wheelchair and scooter users.

Then you have the cattle market x chimps tea party that is the Oceanview Cafe. People handling food and then leaving it there (This really annoys me). People wandering around without looking where they are going. Not queing etc.. I could go on.

Yes, the last three are more of what I was referencing. Just a much more general lack of consideration.

"The secret is to end being loyal to a cruise line and branch out and explore all the offerings out there." This thought is what I am starting to come to as well. They loyalty programs are not worth giving up the experiences that I can get from multiple cruise lines. For us it keeps things fresh. I do still view celebrity as my go to line when I am looking for total relaxation.

I concur with the OP and others on this thread - Celebrity is a shadow of its once great self - the former "top drawer" of the mass cruise lines. New cruisers will not likely know the previous Celebrity - Celebrity used to be considerably better than the other mass lines - quite deliberately so.

Celebrity is now willingly participating in the "great rush to the bottom" of lowest price, "deals", misleading advertising and "keep them boozed up" which is the prevailing philosophy of the mass cruises lines. But, for a mass cruise line, Celebrity remains a good product - but now very similar to HAL and Princess. They are all participating in cheapening of the onboard experience, shilling for sales, distracting consumers with gadgets and magic carpets, turning the ship into a floating las vegas. That is totally fine if that is what a consumer wants to pay for. Nothing at all wrong with offering this type of product.

For consumers looking for a cruise experience more aligned with the onboard experience of the past; may I suggest Oceania and Viking. I could not be more pleased with these service providers; especially Oceania.

These cruise lines offer a very different cruise experience focused on high end food and service, sedate entertainment, enrichment and most importantly focus on the ocean. Shilling for sales is absent. The scale of the vessels totally change the cruise experience away from the mass lines. Yes it does cost more.

Give you an example, on Oceania Marina in September's Baltic, we stopped at Skagen - the mayor and business development community reps came aboard and set up a table in the lobby - provided information and maps. Totally wonderful!

I believe today there are more cruise options for consumers than in the past.

The secret is to end being loyal to a cruise line and branch out and explore all the offerings out there.

Actually that is a good philosophy for life to be frank!

Happy sailing all.

Yes, the last three are more of what I was referencing. Just a much more general lack of consideration.

Is the increased lack of consideration shown by passengers due to a change in demographics ultimately introduced by corporate changes? Or a sign of the times reflecting society in general? Or both?

Technically, some behaviours shown by some passengers are dependent on their nationality. Ze Germans are well known for chair hogging in the Med. This is fact, not a racist comment. Other nationalities simply don't queue like the Brits and Americans tend too.

When skiing in Bulgaria, the Brits would queue for the chair lifts whilst the Russians and locals would push their way past others to get to the front. Fortunately I'm a big believer of 'when in Rome.... '

My wife and I took our first luxury cruise on Mercury in 1998. Since then we have sailed on Celebrity 13 more times. Over the years we have observed a definite change in the Celebrity cruise experience. One positive being less smoking, but mostly negative. Food quality is not as good as once was in the main dining room. Minor extras have also been trimmed away. I even remember on the first few cruises, disposable razors and little tubes of shave cream were free to passengers in the spa area dressing room. Celebrity has chipped away at many of the things that made them special in order to reduce costs and increase profits, then increased the price without returning the items or service it previously deleted. Yes, prices have increased for everything on shore too. Even a casual breakfast or lunch has increased significantly. My wife and I joke that "30" is the new "20"(dollars that is), but as another posters have said; it's not just the cost, it's getting value. Celebrity used to offer a true "premium" cruise experience. Old timers, like myself, yearn for those halcyon days of the past, but I'm afraid they will never return to Celebrity. Even the Captains Club awards do not offer enough to guarantee loyalty, especially after reaching "Elite Plus", as "Zenith" is out of reach for all but the most prolific cruisers. The silver lining is that it has made us look for alternative travel options, and luckily there are many available.

I am sure that many of the same comments have been said in different generations and will continue to be said. The good old days are what we remember in our minds, also with a dash of chocolate premium sprinkles on top. However, the world continues to move forward with or without us. I have found that working after retirement has definitely made me feel much more comfortable with change. I do not want to be like my father, as the train left the station before he got onboard. He was a whiz with electronics, but today he is lost with a computer. He just did not want to take the time to learn. So, would I like to go back to some of the good old day...of course I would, but realistically it is not going to happen.

Now, when it comes to manners, most do not have the experience that many of us more seasoned seniors did when we grew up. Sadly, that is something that isn't really taught anymore. So, I overdo that in my own life as much as I can. We all have choices and opportunity costs for each choice that we make. Though we are not always in control, it is nice to know that each day still presents new and relevant opportunities to experience. yes, my glass tends to be half full...and it is what it is!

Wouw- I was just checking " what´s new" around the X- Board- and found the thread started by myself well before christmas still on the main page. I just returned from a land based holiday on the island of Fuerteventura!

What a surprise. I read through all the comments and found many " long time posters" contributed - mostly with the same experience with X than I have. Oh yes, liffe changes- so do we - the cruisers- what we liked years ago may not longer do so these days. Anyway- quality remains quality- no matter what. Cost cutting remains cost cutting ( I did not see the priced drop recently though)

My friends who inspired my OP are back from the Millenium cruise- they mentioned to Captains Club Host that Celebrity once was what Cunard is - or offers today. He did not like their comment at all. No suprise there! The good loyal Host told them that Cunard Cruisers are standoffish- and snobbish- some maybe- definatley not all.

We where considering to cruise on board the Edge during New Years 2019. We decided to wait and see when Edge makes her debut. We are always curious about new ships and the benefits for Elite Plus members are nice too- but not nice enough. LOL!

I very much enjoyed reading all comments following my OP. I agree with many of them - and visa verse. I appologize if I get some words, phrases wrong- English is not my first language. Ah- and by the way MY GLAS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL- NO MATTER WHAT! But that does not mean I put my on my purple sun glases all the time. LOL!

Is the increased lack of consideration shown by passengers due to a change in demographics ultimately introduced by corporate changes? Or a sign of the times reflecting society in general? Or both?

Technically, some behaviours shown by some passengers are dependent on their nationality. Ze Germans are well known for chair hogging in the Med. This is fact, not a racist comment. Other nationalities simply don't queue like the Brits and Americans tend too.

When skiing in Bulgaria, the Brits would queue for the chair lifts whilst the Russians and locals would push their way past others to get to the front. Fortunately I'm a big believer of 'when in Rome.... '

Perhaps it is just a commentary on our current society. When I was a young man we were taught about "Etiquette" (a word not even known by most under 40), class, and consideration, But now, its about "me me me" and the heck with everything else. For example, if I want to wear a cruddy backwards baseball cap into a MDR...that is cool because it what I want. If I want to wear torn jeans on a "Chic" night that is cool...because I say so. If I want to save 30 chairs for my friends...that is cook because it is what I want. And that is the generation that we seniors have created ::(. Much of it is our own fault because we have been taught to not "damage anyone's self image." Give me a physical break.

We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter and today stopped at the Costco pharmacy to pick up a drug. Everyone in line were Americans/Canadians. When we got near the counter we saw two ladies patiently waiting their turn...and suddenly another lady just walked up to the counter...cut off the other ladies...and asked for her drugs. The Mexican pharmacist was obviously troubled (you could see her expression) but took care of the rude lady (Mexicans tend to have old fashioned manners). The pharmacist, obviously troubled then asked me what we needed and I immediately pointed to the other two ladies and said, "they are first." That got a lot of smiles (and an interesting conversation about manners). To us, it was the norm. But to many younger (and some seniors) it is now a "me first" attitude and the heck with anyone who disagrees.

I cannot even being to criticize Germans (or other Europeans) because I think that Americans are now leading the way in how to be rude, inconsiderate, and totally self-centered. If you want to know what I really think....look me up on a cruise :)

Hank

[quote name=Hlitner;54941185

I cannot even being to criticize Germans (or other Europeans) because I think that Americans are now leading the way in how to be rude' date=' inconsiderate, and totally self-centered. If you want to know what I really think....look me up on a cruise :)

Hank[/quote]

Thanks for the offer.... but I'll pass! I find it especially disturbing when someone paints whole nationalities and generations with a broad brush. Saying something isn't racist sadly doesn't make it so:(.

Hank- I sure want to meet you up on a cruise, we seem to agree on the state of mannors these days- I am a year short of 50 so I know what you mean, even though our generation created those self centered creatures- lol. Of course not ALL of them. Many youngsters have manners and such. I heard it is very trendy- to call " I am - or this or that nation FIRST...!

No - one should not paint anyone with the same brush- one can find " the good ones and the bad ones" all over the world, in every country, in every nation, in every ... and so on....!

Perhaps it is just a commentary on our current society. When I was a young man we were taught about "Etiquette" (a word not even known by most under 40), class, and consideration, But now, its about "me me me" and the heck with everything else. For example, if I want to wear a cruddy backwards baseball cap into a MDR...that is cool because it what I want. If I want to wear torn jeans on a "Chic" night that is cool...because I say so. If I want to save 30 chairs for my friends...that is cook because it is what I want. And that is the generation that we seniors have created ::(. Much of it is our own fault because we have been taught to not "damage anyone's self image." Give me a physical break.

We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter and today stopped at the Costco pharmacy to pick up a drug. Everyone in line were Americans/Canadians. When we got near the counter we saw two ladies patiently waiting their turn...and suddenly another lady just walked up to the counter...cut off the other ladies...and asked for her drugs. The Mexican pharmacist was obviously troubled (you could see her expression) but took care of the rude lady (Mexicans tend to have old fashioned manners). The pharmacist, obviously troubled then asked me what we needed and I immediately pointed to the other two ladies and said, "they are first." That got a lot of smiles (and an interesting conversation about manners). To us, it was the norm. But to many younger (and some seniors) it is now a "me first" attitude and the heck with anyone who disagrees.

I cannot even being to criticize Germans (or other Europeans) because I think that Americans are now leading the way in how to be rude, inconsiderate, and totally self-centered. If you want to know what I really think....look me up on a cruise :)

Hank

I'd happily have a beer and put the world to rights with you. :)

I'm not criticising the Germans, but there is a reason why people complain about chair hogging and have done so since I was a little boy. I guess I was just pointing out how behaviour of some people can be interpreted as rude by other.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the US. I've not noticed any more rudeness than anywhere else really. The fact that I had to think about that speaks volumes. Americans strike me as friendly, outgoing, not at all shy people who are very east to strike up a conversation with. The only thing I can think of are the times I've seen poor driving when people are texting or surfing on their mobile phones whilst driving. Soemthing that isn't showing a lot of consideration to other road users. It does happen here in the UK , but it's much more prevalent in the US I've noticed.

I mentioned elevator etiquette earlier in the thread. Last time onboard, I did think Celebrity should place signs in the elevators stating to let people out before barging in. They'd need to be written in Spanish as well as English too I think.

Anyway, on the subject of sweeping statements..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10880940/Sunbed-nabbing-Germans-and-their-beach-towels-is-biggest-holiday-grievance-in-Germany.html

For the record I've always enjpyed the company of the Germans I've met. Not all of us Brits voted for the really dumb idea that is Brexit, and besides, these are the only guys who seem to build quality cars these days. :D

Oh well said- you find the " rude ones" all over all nations. No exception. I agree with with telegraph though in one point- I avoid my fellow German´s in my holiday´s. I love to meet people from all over the world. As I said, one can and should not brush all with the same brush- I met wonderful English cruises- vacationers whatsoever- and I met the other ones - not on baord a ship though. LOL!

I really haven't had any problems with Europeans. The biggest problem I've had is with Orientals.

Isn’t the term “Orientals” derogatory, and a racist term for people from Asia?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Oh well said- you find the " rude ones" all over all nations. No exception. I agree with with telegraph though in one point- I avoid my fellow German´s in my holiday´s. I love to meet people from all over the world. As I said, one can and should not brush all with the same brush- I met wonderful English cruises- vacationers whatsoever- and I met the other ones - not on baord a ship though. LOL!

Why do you avoid Germans on your holidays?