Alaska cruisetour advice needed

rmorita

We're first timers. The details of the land tour portion is a bit sparse so it's a bit difficult to fully know the differences between the gold rush, wilderness, Talkeetna, etc. tours. Anyone been on more than one and have an opinion? Also, do all land tours offer the tundra wilderness option? That seems to be the most commonly recommended option to take. Or is a DIY land tour package an option? Thanks!

We're first timers. The details of the land tour portion is a bit sparse so it's a bit difficult to fully know the differences between the gold rush, wilderness, Talkeetna, etc. tours. Anyone been on more than one and have an opinion? Also, do all land tours offer the tundra wilderness option? That seems to be the most commonly recommended option to take. Or is a DIY land tour package an option? Thanks!

I would re-post on the AK board.

DON

Your last statement about the Tundra Wilderness is very popular. Just be aware that it is long and tiring, but worth it to many...enjoy!

I was’t fond of our cruise tour, but I knew what to expect, so made it on all the long bus rides...

If you can handle the large group bus rides, you will be okay. At least everything is taken care of! I am used to planning my own experiences, so it was difficult for me to not see the flaws. My DH was fine with it, but totally appreciated where I was coming from...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you already booked on Celebrity?

We are loyal to the brand, but if you are seriously considering an AK cruisetour package, I strongly suggest you consider Princess - they are the clear leaders in Alaska.

I was seriously considering Princess, but I’m wondering what makes Princess better in Alaska?

Your last statement about the Tundra Wilderness is very popular. Just be aware that it is long and tiring, but worth it to many...enjoy!

I was’t fond of our cruise tour, but I knew what to expect, so made it on all the long bus rides...

If you can handle the large group bus rides, you will be okay. At least everything is taken care of! I am used to planning my own experiences, so it was difficult for me to not see the flaws. My DH was fine with it, but totally appreciated where I was coming from...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! I feel the same way about tours, but the distance and just getting around without having to drive is making me lean towards a tour. Maybe my second trip can be more DIY.

I was seriously considering Princess, but I’m wondering what makes Princess better in Alaska?

Of course which is best is always subjective. Princess is repeatedly named the "Best" for Alaska by travel awards and magazines. The Ruby Princess seems to be the favorite. They have more lodges (that they run and manage) than other lines, providing more options for customizing your experience. One of their lodges is closest to Mt. McKinley. They also visit more glaciers during most of their cruise itineraries, including Glacier Bay (which is the highlight for many cruisers - but not included on Celebrity).

Princess offers 42 cruisetours for 2018, as opposed to 31 from Celebrity.

We did an inside passage cruise with X and it was just fine. However, we are now looking at a longer cruisetour and believe we will book with Princess (even though we would be Elite on X).

I'm sure you would not be disappointed with either.

We did a northbound cruise in July 2016 on the Millennium. Arrived a day early to enjoy some time in Vancouver and then had 907 Tours waiting for us in Seward. They gave us a full day tour of the Kenai Peninsula including stops in Glacier Alley and the wildlife rescue preserve before dropping us off at our hotel in Anchorage. The next morning we picked up our own rental car and drove out to Denali on our own. We enjoyed being on our own, stopping when and where we wanted and only having to wait for one person to finish in the bathroom.....We spent a few nights at the Princess Wilderness Lodge that is between Talkeetna and the National Park entrance so our drives to various places were not too long. There is so much to see and do you really need a week to do it justice. We are now talking about going back so we can see more of the Denali area. The cruise itself was great. Enjoyed every stop and got to spend a full hour in front of the Hubbard Glacier. If you are not a fan of big bus tours, forget the cruise tours and do it yourself.

We did northbound this past June for our family of four. Post cruise we did a DIY tour in the Kenai Fjords, Alaska Railroad coastal classic to Anchorage, hotel there then picked up a RV. One night in talkeetna, 2 in a Denali campground near entrance, 4 at Teklaneka at mile 29 with our permit inside the park (and used the shuttle daily to get deep in the park and see absolutely amazing wildlife daily), and one more night back in Talkeetna (wanted to try a certain property so parked the RV and had a real bed and shower). The RV was after having Neptune Suite on HAL, so quite the change haha but we would do it all again. The last day in Denali alone we saw 17 grizzly bears with my 10 year old taking a video of the last two I uploaded on my blog page: https://mostpermile.com/2017/09/08/suite-rv-overpacking/