Review of Anthem new year cruise

Another few musings so far:

Formal night - first formal night was on 31 Dec . 2nd tonight so I can’t comment. Despite all the negative posts on here 99% of passengers were dressed very smartly and had certainly made a big effort to dress for the occasion.

Drinks: my order has often been wrong. I’m sure on a few occasions the actual alcohol is missing from my cocktail too.

Trivia’s - one of our guilty pleasures lol! I’m not being judgmental but...... RCI- Please choose staff who can actually read the questions and even slightly understand what they are reading !! I’m not talking about language issues, here the multi lingual staff do a fantastic job - just basic reading /comprehension ability.

No peanuts handed out in any bars??!! I like a salty snack now and again and have got them on other ships? I did ask and was was given a puzzled blank look?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Friday 5 jan

Another day a sea in cold windy conditions. After an early night we woke early and my husband headed of to the solarium just after 7am!! I headed to guest services worried about my airport transport on Sunday. Conditions look dire in New York and I wanted an assurance that RCI will get us to JFK. Unfortunately no guarantees can be made. Fingers crossed the weather improves.

Breakfast at 9 in solarium bistro - good as always. Lazed around most of day. Did a few Trivia’s in Schooner bar. Cold weather - everyone inside so chairs anywhere we’re at a premium! Large queues everywhere! At Starbucks, promenade cafe large waits.

We had 6.30 performance of “We will rock you “ booked. Arrived at 6pm and had pick of seats. Waiters very attentive so had a drink in our seat before the performance.

Chair hogging In full force again. Saw a man arrive same time as us and keep 5 extra seats all in the best row ( first row of blue chairs). By 6.30 and start of performance his companions had still not arrived! As show started I saw him remove the books he placed on the seats and allow others to sit down.

Show very good - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Straight after show we headed to our booking at Izumi. Bit of an error in my part as it was really to late for us to enjoy our food as we should have. However food was delicious and would recommend. Even myself who doesn’t eat any seafood found enough on the menu to suit.

Early night as exhausted by doing nothing and eating lol!

Thank you for sharing your experience on Anthem. We are sailing Anthem for the first time the end of March. How did the check in go? I noticed the online check in is a bit different, asking for pictures be uploaded in advance.

Thank you so much for your detailed and enjoyable post! We're sailing on the Anthem in February and this came in handy, especially the Disney information. Any tips on doing Disney in that amount of time? Did you purchase tickets ahead of time? We're doing Magic Kingdom and it closes early anyways that day, so it helps ease the pain somewhat (price of tickets for 5 and leaving early).

Also, did you find the drink package worth it? I also love SB Frapps and lattes ;)

Any pics of the dining room menues? No worries if not. Just curious and slightly addicted to anything pertaining to my upcoming cruise lol. Ok, addicted to anything cruises.

Yes I purchased the Disney 1 day tickets ahead of time. Saved another queue. I left it too late to fast pass any rides before we went so we just decided to go with the flow. As it was so cold we enjoyed the indoor rides like It’s a small World. We haven’t been to Disney in 10 years and probably won’t be back for a while so enjoyed this very quick visit.

Another few musings so far:

Formal night - first formal night was on 31 Dec . 2nd tonight so I can’t comment. Despite all the negative posts on here 99% of passengers were dressed very smartly and had certainly made a big effort to dress for the occasion.

Drinks: my order has often been wrong. I’m sure on a few occasions the actual alcohol is missing from my cocktail too.

Trivia’s - one of our guilty pleasures lol! I’m not being judgmental but...... RCI- Please choose staff who can actually read the questions and even slightly understand what they are reading !! I’m not talking about language issues, here the multi lingual staff do a fantastic job - just basic reading /comprehension ability.

No peanuts handed out in any bars??!! I like a salty snack now and again and have got them on other ships? I did ask and was was given a puzzled blank look?

Friday 5 jan

Another day a sea in cold windy conditions. After an early night we woke early and my husband headed of to the solarium just after 7am!! I headed to guest services worried about my airport transport on Sunday. Conditions look dire in New York and I wanted an assurance that RCI will get us to JFK. Unfortunately no guarantees can be made. Fingers crossed the weather improves.

Breakfast at 9 in solarium bistro - good as always. Lazed around most of day. Did a few Trivia’s in Schooner bar. Cold weather - everyone inside so chairs anywhere we’re at a premium! Large queues everywhere! At Starbucks, promenade cafe large waits.

We had 6.30 performance of “We will rock you “ booked. Arrived at 6pm and had pick of seats. Waiters very attentive so had a drink in our seat before the performance.

Chair hogging In full force again. Saw a man arrive same time as us and keep 5 extra seats all in the best row ( first row of blue chairs). By 6.30 and start of performance his companions had still not arrived! As show started I saw him remove the books he placed on the seats and allow others to sit down.

Show very good - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Straight after show we headed to our booking at Izumi. Bit of an error in my part as it was really to late for us to enjoy our food as we should have. However food was delicious and would recommend. Even myself who doesn’t eat any seafood found enough on the menu to suit.

Early night as exhausted by doing nothing and eating lol!

Saturday 6 Jan

Long lie as I could see weather had was colder and no way was I braving the solarium today. Headed to Windjammer for breakfast around 10. Total zoo - packed, no seats, too busy! Turned round and headed off again to Solarium Bistro. We had a nice relaxed breakfast despite the more limited choices.

Captain just announced 20.f at moment with windchill much colder!! (Around. -6??)

Did 11.00 sports trivia. Poor member of staff despite being English struggled to read and pronounce the questions. We are currently waiting on 12pm Harry Potter quiz so can’t wait to see how she copes with that! Again Schooner packed out. Perhaps more entertainment needs to be laid on during adverse weather like this when no outdoor areas can be used?

Lunch at 270 then did “Royal Mystery by Puzzle Break”. Team cluedo type comp. Great fun and we did well despite just being 2 of of us. Needed our adult sons with us on this one lol!!

Wandered back through to Schooner for next trivia. As I said options limited when you can’t really go outside. Shopping galore going on in esplanade - crap shopping in other words. So called non bargains galore;)

Dinner at Solarium Bistro again tonight. Was very quiet. Great service and lovely food.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Anthem. We are sailing Anthem for the first time the end of March. How did the check in go? I noticed the online check in is a bit different, asking for pictures be uploaded in advance.

Check in very quick. No lines.

Enjoying your review so far. Sorry you had such cold weather.

We had the same experience in the Anthem dining rooms. The tables for two that we were seated at were on top of the next table! It was not like this when we sailed on NCL's Breakaway a few months ago. Most of the time we were seated at a table for four and even when we were seated at a table for two, the tables were nicely spaced for the most part. It's one thing I hated about our cruise on the Anthem. We are cruising on Anthem again later in the year and I will be requesting a more private table if possible, when we check in for My Time Dining each night.

We also ask for a table for 2 and when they are so close together you really are sitting with others. A couple of years ago the head waiter told us to ask for a “ private” table for 2 and that has worked for us 99% of the time.

Marg

Your review is giving me a nice reality check on what to expect on Anthem in 2 weeks. It's going to be cold, and I can see how that will affect where people go and what they can do. I'm going to bring a couple of games along for one thing. We enjoyed scrabble in the game room area above 270 but they didn't have much else. I think in my mind I was packing for a tropical vacation lol but winter clothes are needed for at least half the cruise.

I assume the outdoor pool is closed, and associated outdoor bars? No music? No movies on the big screen?

We also ask for a table for 2 and when they are so close together you really are sitting with others. A couple of years ago the head waiter told us to ask for a “ private” table for 2 and that has worked for us 99% of the time.

Marg

On Anthem in October we did the same thing and it worked every time. Even in Chops. I told the hostess I’d be willing to wait a few minutes for one when she hesitated and got a great table in a couple of minutes.

Your review is giving me a nice reality check on what to expect on Anthem in 2 weeks. It's going to be cold, and I can see how that will affect where people go and what they can do. I'm going to bring a couple of games along for one thing. We enjoyed scrabble in the game room area above 270 but they didn't have much else. I think in my mind I was packing for a tropical vacation lol but winter clothes are needed for at least half the cruise.

I assume the outdoor pool is closed, and associated outdoor bars? No music? No movies on the big screen?

Yes outdoor pool closed nearly whole time. Snow on deck first 2 days and snowing last couple days too. Think there was one movie shown in theatre one afternoon. It would have been good if outdoor movies had been shown somewhere else.

For the majority of time most indoor areas cosy enough but certainly not hot.

We did this itinerary a couple years ago and were disappointed with chilly weather sailing close to the mainland but we recognized kids are all about DISNEY on this trip. Great school vacation break. Winter cruises to the southern Caribbean guarantee warm weather. By March, the Florida/Bahama cruises warm up as does the Florida coast.

Any day on vacation is better than at work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed that on Liberty last year. I would probably drink more on board if I could get some kind of a snack. It's why every dive bar has a bowl of peanuts or pretzels or something.

• 7 months later...
Tuesday 2 jan

Booked room service for 6am as we had the 7am shuttle to Disney booked. Room service acts as a good wake up call too lol

Realised that weather was not going to be good today but had no idea how cold it was going to actually be. I only brought “ New York sub zero clothing” and what I thought would be needed for cruise - summer vacation clothes. I purchased a Hoodie in the promenade shops the night before so wore that along with a vest, tshirt and thin scarf.

Shuttle took a little over an hour to get to Disney transportation centre.

On getting out bus realised how cold AND crowded the park was going to be. Took about an hour to get the monorail into magic kingdom due to crowds!

First stop was to purchase a waterproof jacket!!

Didn’t get usual Disney magic feeling due to crowds and cold but was still an enjoyable day.

Dinner again tonight in American Icon. Service was not good. Had to wait ages to get order taken then even longer for food to arrive. Food not very hot either. We left before desert. Don’t think the waiter even noticed.

Great review so far :)

Did you have to pay for room service?